Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing

• 10-07-2004 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

I have a few computers and an eight man switch, how do I share broadband across it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's a couple of methods. The cheapest is (assuming you're running windows) to use windows internet connection sharing, but this requires the PC connected to the broadband service to be on all the time.

Alternatively you could acquire yourself a router which will do nat/firewalling/dhcp and probably some other handy things. The router will maintain the internet connection, so no one PC has to be on for the others to use the connection.

I use a router myself to share between 2 pc's and 2 laptops (router is connected to a wireless access point. You can get all-in-one wireless routers with integrated ethernet switches too).

Advertisement