Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another diver dies

Options
  • 10-07-2004 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Another Dublin based diver from the Portmarnock diving clug has died off the Antrim coast. Apparently from surfacing too quickly. His buddy is stable in the decompression unit in the north.

Now I dont know lads but there seems to be an unusually big amount of deaths. I agree 1 death is 1 too many.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

"Think" they dived S.S Santa Maria on OC.

Very sad to hear the news today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

This was emailed to us.....

"MEDIA RELEASE
    10th July 2004

The Irish Dive Centres Association, which represents Dive Schools, Retailers and Dive Boat Operators in Ireland, wishes to express condolences and sympathy to the family and friends of Sean Power who died tragically as a result of a diving accident in Northern Ireland this morning.

Sean was well known to dive operators around the country as an enthusiastic individual with a great passion for diving who had a helping hand and smile for everyone. He will be sorely missed.

The full circumstances of the cause of his death are unknown, and any speculation or comment about this would be inappropriate and insensitive at this time.

All enquiries should be directed to the authorities or CFT for official statements.

Jerry Smith
    Chairman
    Irish Dive Centre Association"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I was talking to someone who knew and dived with Sean Power and they said that he was a well trained competant diver.

Also mentioned was the fact that he was only recently married (12/18months).

The Santa Maria is a deep dive, a trimix dive, and has strong tides running across it. I can testify from diving in the same area around same time that the tides were roaring like a bitch last weekend. And this weekend there was meant to be neap tides but they didn't come for some reason or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

Re: Sean Power RIP

"Further to an earlier e-mail... here are the arrangments-

At 1830 tomorrow Tuesday, there will be a little service on the Green
    outside Sean & Aoifes house in Donabate for Family, and his Diving Friends
    and Colleagues. After which we will accompany Sean carried across the Green
    and into the Church.

Seans' Funeral Mass will take place on Wednesday at 1200 mid-day in Donabate
    Church.

Aoife and Family have asked that - rather than gifts of flowers, if people
    would kindly transfer their donations to - The RNLI or The Downes Syndrome
    Association of Ireland.

Yours in Diving,

........"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

It always moves me how well people deal with losing a loved one in an accident like this. I've just read an article about an australian climber who was killed in an accident in the UK, it included the press release from his wife and made for incredible reading.

Here's the RNLI homepage, there is a donation link in the sidebar.

I found Footsteps (Down Syndrome in Ireland) through google.ie, dunno if this is the same association the Powers mentioned maybe somebody could confirm this. Anyway heres footsteps' donation page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I live opposite where Sean lived on the Green there was a huge crowd on the green the day of the funeral. One of his next-door neighbors told me that he had died after going back down to rescue another diver and resurfaced to quickly. The diver he went down for survived but he died. Now this is only second hand information and I don’t know the full facts as I didn’t really know the man only to see. I must say he must have been a very popular man even last night there was still loads of cars parked on the green belonging to people coming to pay there respects and if what the neighbor said is true I’m not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭dublinbay

I had the pleasure of knowing Sean. He was a great person and a gentleman. He will be missed.

Advertisement