Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with formatting winxp pro

Options
  • 10-07-2004 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I'm recently having a deadth blue screen problem:
    The message is:
    "stop, inacessible -booth- device
    check for virus on your computer, remove any newly installed hard driver controllers.Check your hard driver and make sure it is properlyconfiguredand terminated. runCHKDSK/F tocheck fopr hard drivecorruption"
    I didn't know how to fix that problem. So I decided to format the hard drive, using my startup disk, but I couldn't log in to dos mode to do the formatting. Here is what I did: turn the machine on, press f8, then try to log on all the different modes, with with startup floppy disk in, but no thing worked.
    Can anyone help?
    My OS: win 2000, winxp pro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

well what i would do in that case and i know there will be someone saying there is an easier way but make up a win98 bootdisk,when it boots into dos asking to pick with cd or no cd support pick no cd support.but before all that find and print out a script u want its called"how to debug your hard drive"

So when ur in dos type Debug and type script out as u see on print out,just take ur time and after all is finished it will clear any partition and any ntfs file system on your hard drive and restart system and start back up in dos and type Fdisk and establish a partition again....and then either boot from your xp or goto www.bootdisk.com and download the exe to create 6 bootup disks to help you get started to put XP back on system,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

formatting the hard drive is the nuclear option, you will lose all of your data,
    but it is fairly straight forward
    1) boot from the Win XP Pro Cd.
    2) Go for a fresh install rather than an upgrade
    3) it will than ask you where you want it installed, it will display existing partitions
    4) Tell it to delete these one by one, press D and then L to confirm
    5) Delete any partition(s) until it just contains a single unpartitioned space
    6) Select this unpartitioned C drive to install windows onto
    7) before it formats it will ask what type of partition you want to create, select NTFS

The XP Pro installer will then format the partition as NTFS ( it will take awhile) and install a new copy of windows, all existing data will be lost

Advertisement