Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Credit Card

• 10-07-2004 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure which forum to post this in, as I'm hoping for a bargain annual fee of €0 am putting in here.

Anyone have an opinion on the best Platinum or Gold cc available here that includes payment protection?

The Bank of Ireland Platinum Advantage appears to be a right rip off with €79 annual charge (seems the travel insurance is what you're paying for).

The MBNA Ireland Gold Card seems to offer all that the BOI one does for zero fee.

Anyone know of others available here that have better offers /options , or have the same but better customer service -> online banking, 247 support, helpful staff etc?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

Originally posted by wiped
    I'm thinking of changing my Credit Card at the moment from Bank Of Ireland ....

... haven't done extensive research yet , but from what I have , Ulster Bank are winning my business so far ....

0% interest on Balance transferes for 9 months (from date of opening your cc account with them)
    0% interest on New Purchases for 9 months (from date of opening your cc account with them)

A.P.R. of 14.9% ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I have a credit cared from egg.com £1000 limit, no annual charge, purchases are interest free till october. APR is 12% I dont know if it's available in Ireland though.

John

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Lump
    I have a credit cared from egg.com £1000 limit, no annual charge, purchases are interest free till october. APR is 12% I dont know if it's available in Ireland though.

John

Nah, egg.com isnt' available this side of the pond. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No such thing as free credit card as the gov charges a 40 euro a year stamp duty. Bastards!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I got the MBNA Gold Card and its free apart from gov duty. I get some sort of travel insurance and offers also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

My tesco card has a couple of advantages.

I get clubcard points on all purchases, which is the same as 1% cashback.

It has a cast iron internt fraud clase where if the no is stole on the internet or used in internet fraud, i am liable for nothing!!!

Interst rate is a little better than most non-gold cards.

PS as i pay off the balance each month, the interest rate is a minor matter, the other benifits are more important.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

No such thing as free credit card as the gov charges a 40 euro a year stamp duty. Bastards!

Some of the banks will pay you back this €40 if you put a certain amount of business through the card in a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ulster Bank refund your stamp duty (€40) if you spend €6000 a year on the card.

Pigsback MBNA Gold is good, you get all the benefits of an MBNA card with Piggy Points awarded for spending on the card. Think of it as 1% cashback. I have one, I've earned 7000 points since September, but then I use my card for nearly everything now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Xterminator
    My tesco card has a couple of advantages.

I get clubcard points on all purchases, which is the same as 1% cashback.

It has a cast iron internt fraud clase where if the no is stole on the internet or used in internet fraud, i am liable for nothing!!!

Interst rate is a little better than most non-gold cards.

PS as i pay off the balance each month, the interest rate is a minor matter, the other benifits are more important.

X

A few questions on the tesco card:

1/ Do Tesco pay the 40 Euro goverment fee?
    2/ Can you view the statement on-line?
    3/ Regarding the Tesco points - How does this work? What can you buy with the points?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

I got MBNA gold cheapest apr 10.8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Ulster Bank refund your stamp duty (€40) if you spend €6000 a year on the card.

Pigsback MBNA Gold is good, you get all the benefits of an MBNA card with Piggy Points awarded for spending on the card. Think of it as 1% cashback. I have one, I've earned 7000 points since September, but then I use my card for nearly everything now.

Pigsback one as well! great card and always found there service very helpful and polite! tink it is 24hrs......had BOI cards before but wasnt impressed with them at all! Getting a Tesco one is really hard....turned me down twice and never said why!! not sure because got sick of them and MBNA had no probs in giving me one wit 5 g limit!! also BOI said they wud approve me as well if I wanted one......have heard from a few people though that Tesco are really choosey about who they give a card 2

Originally posted by daveg
    A few questions on the tesco card:

1/ Do Tesco pay the 40 Euro goverment fee?
    2/ Can you view the statement on-line?
    3/ Regarding the Tesco points - How does this work? What can you buy with the points?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

1. no
    2. no, but you can get it on the phone automated .. so you don have to talk to anybody just enter your no. and answer the security questions. This means its a 24 availability, not like my BOI card.
    3. Anythng they sell in tesco e.g. food, electronics, clothing, beer, phone credit, lotto ... the works.

Here is a link to benifits

Sumarised as low interest compared to standard cards, internet fraud guarentee, 100 day purchase protection, clubcard points.

I did not find it hard to get a tesco card, in fact i got pissed off at MBNA, and went to tesco.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Did tesco ever pay the 40 duty? i heard they did but there is no mention of it now.

What bank pays the for the lowest spend per year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

Originally posted by rubadub
    Did tesco ever pay the 40 duty? i heard they did but there is no mention of it now.

They did, but it was just a promo ...think the first 1000 people to sign up for their card, it was only for the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Anyone know of a card that has internet balance checking like internet banking .. ??

I have a TSB Visa but they don't have that linked in with the TSB Banking which is a pain in the whole ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by LizardKing
    Anyone know of a card that has internet balance checking like internet banking .. ??

I have a TSB Visa but they don't have that linked in with the TSB Banking which is a pain in the whole ....
    AIB's is linked to their online banking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

LizardKing MBNA has that feature at MBNA

Originally posted by LizardKing

BOI have too ...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

So, the way I see it so far

MBNA
    Beyond - No annual Fee and 15.9% APR. 0% for balance transfers for 6 months
    Platinum Plus - No annual fee and 15.9% APR. 0% for balance transfers for 9 months.
    Classic - Doesn't mention annual fee 17.9% APR. 0% for balance transfers for 6 months.

Tesco
    Doesn't mention annual fee (is there one Xterminator?) 14.9% APR
    Points, if you're into that sorta thing!

Bank Of Ireland
    Advantage - No Annual fee. APR of 16.8% for purchases and 17.1% for Cash.
    2.9% for balance transfers.
    Gold Advantage - No annual fee. 13.9% APR. (LOWEST SO FAR)
    Platinum Advantage - €76.18 Annual fee. 14.9% APR. Free travel Insurance.

AIB
    You take the risk that they charge you more than advertised!

Low Interest MasterCard - No Annual Fee. 12.90% APR
    Standard Visa/Mastercard - No Annual Fee. 18.90% APR
    Gold Visa/MasterCard - No Annual Fee. 14.25% APR
    mc2 Student MasterCard - No Annual Fee - 18.90% APR

UlsterBank
    Standard card - No annual fee - 17.9% APR
    Zinc Card - No Annual Fee - 12.9% APR
    But! they have 1.9% APR on balance transfers for the first 6 months.

So if you have a card with some debt on it, I would move to the MBNA Platinum plus as it has 0% on transfers for NINE months, the rest is only for six and may have a charge of 2.9%.
    Then, once the debt (or some of it anyway) has been paid over the nine months I would move to the Ulsterbak Zinc card.

• Advertisement

Tesco has no annual charge, and 0% balance tranfers for a limited period.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks for all the replies, think I'm going to ask BOI to give me a Gold card instead of the Platinum as ironically it has lower apr and apparently is free (also looks more nice :D ).

Sleipnir not sure if the MBNA Platinum cards are available in the ROI ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I have an MBNA platnum, ROI based, so your can get em here alright.

Advertisement