Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ad-Aware > Spybot - Search & Destroy

• 10-07-2004 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I find that Spybot doesn't find half the stuff that Ad-Aware does. Is there any pointin running Spybot if you are running Ad-Aware?

Also every time I run ad-aware it seems to find things. How can I block the things its finding? Mainly tracking cookies etc.

Is there a way to get Ad aware to run on shutdown/startup?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

are you running the latest version of spybot? v1.3

i believe 1.2 doesn't update anymore.

i find this is the case but i use both of them and sometimes spybot finds stuff that ad aware doesn't and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

5 weeks since my last scan;

Adaware - 0 items
    Spybot - 11 items

as C3p0 said, get version 1.3 of spybot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I downloaded it and thought I was. But I just checked, and actually I'm not. DOH! (mental note - kick own butt)

I'm installing it now and I'll see if it updates. I used to find that one found stuff that the other didn't aswell. Which was why I was starting to wonder when it didn't.

Is it worth paying for the full version of ZoneAlarm and AdAware to get the popup and spyware blocking?

Whats that teatime thingy do?

Ok seems to have updated and have lots of new stuff. Its already found one thing that ad-aware that didn't. So back working I guess. I'll have to go update the other machines that I look after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ad-Aware && Spybot > Ad-Aware || SpyBot

None of the (ad|spy|mal)ware scanners is 100% effective but a combination of two seems to be good.

That said, I don't use Windows much and when I do I don't use IE so I rarely have these problems.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Ad-Aware && Spybot > Ad-Aware || SpyBot

None of the (ad|spy|mal)ware scanners is 100% effective but a combination of two seems to be good.

That said, I don't use Windows much and when I do I don't use IE so I rarely have these problems.

I wish I didn't have to but I do. Poor me....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

Definitely *do* use both Adaware and Spybot... But you know that now anyway.

Also keep CWShredder.exe handy, and Hijackthis.exe is sometimes needed for early diagnostics and for tidying up loose ends.

By the way, Adaware can miss a lot of things depending on how it's configured.

These settings should be *on* in most cases:

Activate in-depth scan

Use custom scanning options (then click "customise" to activate the following)

Scan within archives

Scan active processes

Deep scan registry

Scan my IE favs for banned URL's

Scan my hosts file

Then click the "tweek" button and make sure these two are on:

Scanning engine - Unload recognized processes during scanning

Cleaning engine - Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot

You should reboot after every scan so that each process gets to run on a gradually cleaner PC.

Thanks for all the info, tis appreciated. I had a look at CWShredder.exe handy, and Hijackthis.exe . Downloaded them, but not quite sure what they do.

CWShredder will remove a good few common browser hijacks and affiliated trojans. Hijackthis scans certain browser settings and startup items, and lets you "fix" nasties. Search for more info on both through google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

as posted on the other thread.

spyware blaster from www.javacoolsoftware blocks adaware from being installed on your computer. Its a bit like an antivirus software.

Instead of removing adaware after its being installed it stops it from being installed.

• Advertisement

That's www.javacoolsoftware.com for those of us who don't like editing incomplete links. :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I find Spybot 1.3 with full updates to resolve any issues I've come across at work, as well as removing crap from people's PC's it also allows me to easily and quickly do msconifg and check the hosts file for any strange entries that may cause issues, its a excellent tool

If a PC is particularly full of ****e then I'll have to run both but spybot is the weapon of choice, though not as user-friendly for newbies as adaware imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just to report, spybot's teatimer process tends to hang a few PC's.
    I've noticed this in work on countless PC's, hope this is fixed in next release.
    Anyway as said, you have to use 3 proggies -spybot/ad-aware/hijackthis as well as intuition to defeat spyware.

I noticed though that none of them nor any anti-virus program can detect wintools spyware to date.
    Thanks goes to the writers of this spyware that they actually have an un-install program in control panel which actually stops it ! :)

Just wish the corporate giants out there stop trusting IE as default browser...even with the windows updates, spyware still gets in.

I haven't noticed that spybot problem myself. A lot of the corporates I've been in lately are using IE5 on NT4 and W2K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Best bet is to stop using IE
    Use Firefox or another Mozilla based browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I haven't noticed that spybot problem myself. A lot of the corporates I've been in lately are using IE5 on NT4 and W2K.

IE6 on WinXP SP1, they have every single latest patch available on the PC's in my workplace and still tons of spyware crap get in, so much for M$ security.
    redoxan wrote:
    Best bet is to stop using IE
    Use Firefox or another Mozilla based browser.

Some corporates don't allow it unfortunately like the one i'm in so i'm stuck with IE in work and use firefox at home. Free software is not even allowed because its not 'standard corporate'. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

use spywareblaster! it doesn't even allow spyware to be installed

CyberGhost wrote:
    use spywareblaster! it doesn't even allow spyware to be installed

SpyBlaster doesn't catch everything.

since I installed it, I have 0 spywares found by both Ad-aware and spybot SD

it does!

it shouldn't catch it, it should prevent it!

and since I installed it I have 0 spywares found by both ad-aware and spybot SD

Aluria spyware eliminator(better than both adaware and spybot) although finds something time to time

• Advertisement

SpyBlaster doesn't catch everything.

Don't be pedantic about it. Obviously I meant stop not catch. Regardless, since I installed spywareblaster, adware has found a few things, about 20 I reckon. Spybot about 1 or 2. Maybe you're not browsing enough dodgy sites. :)

Maybe you're not browsing enough dodgy sites. :)

that's probably it :)

do you update it regularly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭blobert

Are you less likely to be affected by this stuff if you don't use IE.

I've been trying to get used to Mozilla Firefox but find it slower to load pages.

That said, if it's more secure I might try harder!

CyberGhost wrote:
    that's probably it :)

do you update it regularly?

I update everything then run it. Only then do I see what adware and Spybot find. I can't leave it on automatic update as I'm on dilaup and use a laptop thats not always connected to the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

blobert wrote:
    Are you less likely to be affected by this stuff if you don't use IE.

I've been trying to get used to Mozilla Firefox but find it slower to load pages.

That said, if it's more secure I might try harder!

Yeah you're much less likely to be affected. I don't find Firefox slower on loading pages? Are you on dialup? The default setting in Firefox is to wait until all tables are loaded before rendering to save CPU. If you're on dialup you should change this setting. Try these tips for speeding up: http://texturizer.net/firefox/tips.html#oth_rendering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EbonyJones

I always use both. Sometimes one finds stuff the other doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I have to say its quite sad when an OS is so crappy that we have to stop using the default browser and install a rash of third-party programs to make online browsing secure...and I think I'm turning into some sort of elitest Linux-using bastard. :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Fenster wrote:
    I have to say its quite sad when an OS is so crappy that we have to stop using the default browser and install a rash of third-party programs to make online browsing secure...and I think I'm turning into some sort of elitest Linux-using bastard. :|

it shouldnt have a default browser anyway it should be up to each user to decide
    variety is the spice of life

If you have a problem with IE and Windows don't use it. Personally I need XP to play my games on and IE to see what I'm developing looks like to 95% of the browsing public. I've had very few viruses over the years. How hard is it to run 3 free apps? Much easier than learning a new OS and whole new set of apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

CyberGhost wrote:
    since I installed it, I have 0 spywares found by both Ad-aware and spybot SD
    Do you keep ad-aware up to date? ;)

Hey, I've nothing against XP-I'm a hardcore MMOGer. I just think its about as secure as a pox-ridden Thai whore when it comes to the internet. :p

Fenster wrote:
    Hey, I've nothing against XP-I'm a hardcore MMOGer. I just think its about as secure as a pox-ridden Thai whore when it comes to the internet. :p

That was a bit too much detail about your love life... :eek:

I live on the edge. :cool:

But ehh, seriously, connect to the interweb with a fresh, unpatched and unprotected version of XP, through IE. Its a hair-raising experience to say the least.

Fenster wrote:
    I live on the edge. :cool:

But ehh, seriously, connect to the interweb with a fresh, unpatched and unprotected version of XP, through IE. Its a hair-raising experience to say the least.

And very stupid, regardless of OS and browser.

Advertisement