Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new car - opinions please

Options
  • 11-07-2004 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

M8 is living in Belgium and wants to exercise his right to buy a car over there , drive it for a while and bring it home (change the reg to an Irish one for free) and sell it. He likes the Daihatsu Copen and he can buy one for €20k. List in Ireland is €25k. Car is right hand drive

What do you think about this car? What do you think he should do? Any opinions are appreciated

daihatsu_copen_10261.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

If you do the owned-for-six-months-outside-the-country thing, you're only exempt from paying the VRT if you don't sell the car for twelve months after you import it. If you want to sell it inside this time you have to stump up for the VRT:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I don't know much about it but it looks ugly.

I would go for an mx-5 if I wanted a sporty car, or an astra/focus for practicality. A friend recently got a old-style megane coupe and is very impressed with it.

there are hoops to jump through when importing a car; he will have to keep it for at least 6 months (maybe a year) after he returns, as well as owning it for 6 months or a year before returning.

With that in mind, and if his sole purpose is to sell the car on, he might be better off going for something which holds its value better. Something like a BMW 318 springs to mind. But its a lot of hassle to go through and you're not making much when you take into account first-year depreciation, which is big on any car.

I reckon he should just buy a new car for himself if he wants one, and not worry about trying to take advantage of every loophole he can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

€20k seems a lot for that car, I was in Belgium a couple of weeks ago and saw the new VW Golf advertised from €15k. Not sure about the looks of the Copen either, looks a bit girly. A Smart Roadster looks a lot better.

Also, it could be difficult to sell here. I'd definitely go with an MX5, I bought one in March and I love it. I bet if he did buy one, he would not want to sell it, ever. I'd also consider an MR2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks lads - wasn't aware he'll need to hold on to the car for at least 6 months in Belgium and then at least another 12 months in Ireland

Thanks for suggesting the Mazda MX-5

Just looked it up, the 1.6 is available in Belgium for €20k :eek:

€29k over here

No brainer so, he can drive this excellent little car (my sister-in-law had two of them) with low depreciation for 18 months and probably get his money back

Let's hope he'll like my advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Is it a new car you looking at buyng? Presumably it is, in which case check with the dealers if they can get you a RHD version, so that you'll be driving in the right position when you get the car back.

Also LHD drive cars have poor resale value, as not many want them

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Good point, Borzoi. I was presuming a RHD could be sourced through the Belgian dealer

Advertisement