Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books in your Work/Study Pace

Options
  • 11-07-2004 12:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Besides that directly related to work, that volumes do you keep next to you to inspire/scare away your collegues?
    Some placed about me are

- Machiavelli for Beginners by Curry & Zarate
    - Kipling's Poems
    - Give War a Chance by PJ O'Rourke
    - Faster by James Gleick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Dancing duck

* The Bible and other childrens stories
    * Brainwashing for dummies

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm not being a smarty pants but why would any of those books scare away anyone?

I know a chap who used to keep Machievelli's The Prince on his office desk while he was in an elected position. Of course he'd never actually read the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Dancing duck

Originally posted by sceptre
    I'm not being a smarty pants but why would any of those books scare away anyone?

An inferiority complex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Just wondering what job do you do that you can have 4 books permanently on your desk, not work related.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Software Engineering The easy part is handling and tracking down software bugs; dealing with managers and their convuluted time-schedules is nearly beyond me :) .

• Advertisement

Must be a nice place to work if no one questions why you have some light reading material on your desk....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Must be a nice place to work if no one questions why you have some light reading material on your desk....

Well my boss had "Running a Company into the Ground for Dummies" on his desk :D

Originally posted by pork99
    Well my boss had "Running a Company into the Ground for Dummies" on his desk :D

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I don't particularly like people knowing what I read unless I decide to tell them.

Once, when starting a new job, I saw a copy of Mein Kampf in the staff room. The owner of that book wasn't a Nazi though, just an angsty teenager.

Advertisement