Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Oxegen Bands on Saturday:

Options
  • 11-07-2004 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

great day.... and no surpises whats number one

1. Belle and Sebastian - amazing gig, they always put on a bloody great show!
    2. God is an Astronaught - never saw them before yesterday and they were damn good
    3. Elbow - great much with a great show, they can't go wrong
    4. Jerry Fish - what a great preformer anyone else that saw his show could only agree
    5. Snow Patrol - they may have left out the older albums but they're great on stage

anyone else

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The Cure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Rapture was great craic in the rain,
    crazy water fights goin on at the back where the big black tea-shirt box thingy was,
    madness.

some crowd for snow patrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Originally posted by Tyrrial
    great day.... and no surpises whats number one

1. Belle and Sebastian - amazing gig, they always put on a bloody great show!
    2. God is an Astronaught - never saw them before yesterday and they were damn good
    3. Elbow - great much with a great show, they can't go wrong
    4. Jerry Fish - what a great preformer anyone else that saw his show could only agree
    5. Snow Patrol - they may have left out the older albums but they're great on stage

anyone else

damn i only saw snow patrol out of that lot and ive heard great things about belle and sebastian.. and i really wanted to see elbow as well. I kinda regret going to see Kings of Leon now...i think snow patrol were the best with getting the crowd going, franz were pretty good too. the cure played very well, but they kinda killed the mood. a few more happy songs might have done the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

The Cure did a fantastic show but my legs were giving way at that stage after eight hours of standing / walking. Franz Ferdinand and the Strokes were solid entertainment, and PJ Harvey was class. Anyone else catch the Radiators from Space on the green stage? Old punks still have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i had to choose between belle and sebastian or the cure... in the end i'm glad i saw B&S, they got me in a great mood for the rest of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Laine

Snow Patrol were amazing. It really didn't matter that I was drenched to the skin. Have to say though, The Strokes weren't excellent. They didn't have as much presence as other bands like Franz Ferdinand or B&S. Just didn't feel like their heart was in it, going thru the motions if you will. Saying that I did enjoy their set...but I coulda been homing listening to it on CD. Anyone else think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

The cure
    elbow
    maria doyle kennendy
    autamata
    snow patrol

followed by
    the strokes
    life after modelling
    divine comedy
    god is an astronaut
    cathy davey

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Why has nobody mentioned Simple Kid??? Made my weekend.

Snow Patrol were better than I expected, TV coverage of openair gigs does them no favours.

Giveamanakick and The Killers were great, but Hope Of The States were boring as hell.

I bet youse were all wearing those poncey Meteor ponchos and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

The Cure - awesome as always
    PJ Harvey
    The Rapture
    Franz Ferdinand

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Belle & Sebastian - First time seeing them. BEST GIG EVER. Esp I'm A Cuckoo, Stay Loose and Boy With The Arab Strap. I was second row and the only problem was 2 girls pushed their way infront of me near the end. They sang at the top of their voices, danced badly, and screamed at every oppertuntiy. If your reading this your almost ruined the gig for me.

Iain Archer - As always, brilliant. Esp liked the second last song he played (if anyone can remember the name please post). He talked to me and a few other people after the show, good man Iain. Phil Rocks!

The Shins - Also amazing live. Very annoyed I narrowly missed their Whelan's gig. Very glad I missed The Darkness.

Snow Patrol - Excellent. But when will you play old stuff!?

Muse - Glad I saw them live, but the main stage ruined them.

Also saw Franz Ferdinand, Ash, The Strokes, bits of Razorlight and Turn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭luce

1) The Killers
    2) Giveamanakick
    3) Snow Patrol
    4) The Rapture
    5) Razorlight

Sunday's best included Turn and Republin of Loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

5. Electric Six
    The sound in the tent was fairly poor but the band were great. Real moshable music, great fun. And the whole tent going crazy when the riff to Gay Bar kicks in, genius.

4. Scissor Sisters
    Not really a fan, I only really went for something to do but I enjoyed it anyway. they're a good band and the songs are pretty catchy.

3. The Strokes
    They played all their well known songs and musically were good Julian Casablancas' on-stage rants were annoying.

2. Franz Ferdinand
    I was very impressed with this band. I thoroughly enjoyed their set and can definitely see myself going to see them when they play over here again.

1. Massive Attack
    Bloody brilliant. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

In no real particular order

*The Killers - Best crowd interaction and atmosphere
    *Muse - Again a brilliant atmosphere and energetic set
    *Faithless - Not a fan at all but was just a laugh and nice weather
    *Ash - Flaming guitar says it all :)
    *Hope of the States - The projection screen rocked!

I will definitley make a trip up to Dublin to see the Killers again. Crowd was 100% fans of the band so it added to it so much.

I must also give an honourable mention to Giveamanakick. The drummer is always smiling for their gigs. Its brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

in no order, because i am lazy...

PJ Harvey
    Massive Attack
    Life After Modelling
    Muse
    The Cure

...i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Oops realised this is only for Saturday and not top 5 of the weekend. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

God is an Astronaut were one of the best acts I've seen all year, never mind saturday.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

In no particular order:

PJ Harvey (I can't put it into words!)
    Razorlight (Really enjoyable set.)
    Hope Of The States (I was ahead of the critics with this band. they certainly impressed me.)
    Bell X1 (Brilliant as always)
    Giveamanakick (Had never heard them before, only a guitarist and a drummer!)

Disappointed not seeing:

Belle and Sebastian (I chose The Cure, big mistake)
    Paddy Casey (Great reports from his set)
    Snow Patrol (Heard the atmosphere was great.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

giveamanakick, snow patrol, hope of the states, kings of leon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

1 The Killers
    2 Razorlight
    3 Elbow

Emmm....I can't remember any other bands from Saturday. :eek: :dunno:
    xm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Saturday...? Probably...

1. Belle And Sebastian
    They were brilliant. Easily worth the 135 euro for them alone. Boy With The Arab Strap was particularly good. But it was all pretty amazing...

2. RazorlightWas only planning on watching the start of them, then going to The Strokes. But I stayed for the whole thing. They were very good. Small tent helped.

3. Snow Patrol
    The song I didn't know was fuckin' cool. So was Black And Blue. So was everything else.

4. Franz Ferdinand
    Far better than they were at the Ambassador. The main stage probably helped.

5. The Strokes
    Only here for the cover of The Clash's Clampdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

Belle & Sebastian were amazing, definitly number 1.

after that in no particular order i enjoyed Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand, Iain Archer, The Shins (Sunday, I know!!), I liked the bit of Razorlight that I saw and also the bits of The Strokes too. Although I know where Laine is coming from...not as much heart 'n soul as one might have expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭visigoth

The two bands that stood out for me were The Strokes and Keane....

I seriously could not get over how **** cool The Strokes were, and how Julian was able to put on a such a razor hot gig while off his face drunk - it was just one of those unique and cool sets that could never be recreated.

As for Keane - wow - they're amazing live, so much better live... (I've only ever said that about one other band, the Pixies). Tom Chaplin just has so much emotion in that voice, when singing live - during "She has no time" I could feel each crack in his voice as an emotional one, it was beautiful (and I don't care if I'm being a sap, it's the truth)... AND... Mr.Piano Man! Timmmmay! What a nutbar! I couldn't get over how obsorbed he was in playing, it was v.cool to see him rock out on the keyboard.

would love to see Keane live again.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

Electric Six
    Wilco
    Jimmy Cliff
    Snow Patrol
    The Cure

Jimmy Cliff Was Feicin Amazing he's like 70 and was doing michael jackson dance moves and the splits 3 times such a feel good show!

First time i saw wilco and was dead impressed

Electric 6 were mad gay bar made my day i loved the way he bonded with the audience simple by waving like a manic!

Snow patrol just because they play nearly all of that fantastic album filnal straw

Cure cause its the cure and smiths voice is just as good live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Slugger O'Toole

I will definitley make a trip up to Dublin to see the Killers again. Crowd was 100% fans of the band so it added to it so much.

When are the playing again? They were animal, I was disappointed though when the lead singer thanked everyone for choosing them over the Cure and then half of the **** left to watch the Cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Originally posted by Ro: maaan!

3. Snow Patrol
    The song I didn't know was fuckin' cool
    [

I think it was called "post punk progression"

it's a b-side of a single..... since some time before final straw.... i think

ps. good first choice

Advertisement