Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissapointment

Options
  • 11-07-2004 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Is there any novel you've read that didnt meet expectations, I mean a really famous or highly recomended book that just didnt do it for you? Personally, I didnt really enjoy Moby Dick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

''zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance''..im into philosophy but this book has to be the most boring thing i have ever read in my life.....it was stiff and repetitive ...rambling off about nothing...and really had no point to it.

0553277472.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Pirsig takes us on a literary chautauqua that dives into the split between romanticism and classicism, and speaks magnitudes about the philosophies and sciences of Eastern and Western Cultures. The book has seized rave reviews across the globe, and held best-seller status for record amounts of time. One wonders, what could possibly be in this book that has made it so accredited for such a long time? The answer is that the book takes the reader on a journey that was never supposed to happen. Pirsig elucidates, in four hundred pages, about the conflicts with his son, and himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Dancing duck

100 Years of Solitude.

It almost felt like we were going through stacks of characters because we didn't have the talent to let those we had grow.
    Was it a memory game or was it a book? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Insomnia by Stephen King. I had just read The Stand and was really impressed by it, but Insomnia was really dull I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

1 - Thomas Pynchon

I know I tried to read one of his novels once but I cannot remember which one or much about it. Maybe so bad I've blocked out any memory of it.

2 - Lord of the Rings

Got to page 350, then I hit puberty and lost interest.

3 - Anything by J. P. Sartre

Tedious

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

"The 4 Feathers" by Mason. I very much enjoyed the film of the book, but the book itself was utterly tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ulysses - terrible, boring, pointless, rambling crap:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Ulysses - terrible, boring, pointless, rambling crap:mad:

More and more ppl have started saying that since last year, somebody from some paper said something in a conference in america or something and since then ppl have been , well you know.

Personally I think Ulysses is one of the better books ive read, not the most intersting granted but diffinitly the best constructed

Still its all about personal taste, after all Moby Dick is considered one of the all time greats but I found it boring and rambling although the psychology was well done the description was too much for me, too much detail, not enough story, thats actually what I liked about LOTR

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Great Expectations

...wasn't all I was hoping for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

I must say I loved "Zen and the art...", and indeed its' successor "Lila".

I never managed to read Ulysses, and I reckon I've bought three copies of it, swearing on each occasion that this was the time I was definitely going to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

what did you like about ''zen and the art..'' dod?? there were patches here and there that intrigued me esp about the ghosts of science and whatnot, but i just found my mind deadening everytime he mentioned his motorbike...also i really thought that the whole argument about quality was pointless, well constructed and argued, but pointless. i guess i must be a romantic aesthetician as he says then.....but i like science so i dont really fit exactly into that category..**rambles on ....**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Necromancer
    More and more ppl have started saying that since last year, somebody from some paper said something in a conference in america or something and since then ppl have been , well you know.
    Na I've thought it crap for a long time (since I finished it, in about two weeks but it seemed like 2 years).
    Personally I think Ulysses is one of the better books ive read, not the most intersting granted but diffinitly the best constructed
    I don't read books for their "construction" but for their stories - I read to entertain myself, not to baffle and bore myself.
    Still its all about personal taste, after all Moby Dick is considered one of the all time greats but I found it boring and rambling although the psychology was well done the description was too much for me, too much detail, not enough story, thats actually what I liked about LOTR
    So you are saying there is a story in Uly??:confused:, as hard as I looked I couldn't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Originally posted by Dancing duck
    100 Years of Solitude.

It almost felt like we were going through stacks of characters because we didn't have the talent to let those we had grow.

Read it again, dear god read it again!

Oh, and I found Jack Kerouac's, "on the road", the definition of tedium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

The Da Vinci Code :D (although that probably doesn't count, not a big personal disappointment, but it must be the most overrated book ever)

Wuthering Heights

Anything by Virginia Woolf (perhaps it's just a matter of taste, I hate books where characters suffer a lot and no-one knows exactly why)

As for 100 Years of Solitude, I did like it, but not as much as I had expected...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The Diceman by Luke Rhinehart

really liked it when I first read it at about 19 ... read it again a couple of years later ... and was surprised to find that I really didn't think too much of it at all ... maybe I matured or something

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I liked the da vinci code, but angles and deamon is way better. Digital fortress on the other hand is a majore let down. I picked up a book in a gostel a few weeks ago called want to play by pj tracy, after finishing it I felt like burning it.
    I was dissapointed by fever pitch also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Dancing duck

Originally posted by RE*AC*TOR
    Read it again, dear god read it again!

When I'm in the mood for a bit of torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankie Smith

Ulysses: life is too short

For Whom The Bell Tolls: read a hundred pages, thought the writing was wooden. logan mountstuart agrees. does it get good?

Dracula: Was good ol' Abraham under deadline pressure? the ending is like he was asked for 20 000 words and by the last chapter he already had 19 500. and the print was really small.

more will occur to me ................................................................................................

Ghormenghast: spent two weeks lookin' for that!
    The Woman Who Rode Away and othe Stories by DH Lawrence: I thought I was going to expand my horizons! huh! never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

100 Years of Solitude.

Was it a memory game or was it a book?
    I agree.
    It felt like 100 years reading the f-ing thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

It felt like 100 years reading the f-ing thing.
    I wonder if it was a matter of language. Most books do not feel the same way in translation, and 100 years of solitude looks like it loses a lot. It was not my favourite book ever, but I enjoyed it, and I did not find it boring at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

Interview With A Vampire yeah it was ok I suppose, in some other cultures!! I found it very yawn-filled. The only benefit was I understood (FULLY) why they referred to louis as a whinging gyt in the movie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Bonfire of the Vanities disappointed me.

It's one of those books that as you make your way through it you're really enjoying it. The action is slow, the descriptions exhaustive and Wolfe seems to try and get inside the heads of all the characters.

Unfortunately, come the end of the book, and it's like he just did the word count, realised he'd done enough and upped the pace at the end.

It didn't sit right, it didn't resolve everything - frankly it left me hugely disappointed - the last 5% spoiled the other 95

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The Great Gatsby - Not terrible by any means but I just couldn't figure out why everyone thought it was so great.

Can't say I liked "Zen and the Art..." either but I wouldn't class that as a dissapointment as I hadn't heard too much hype about it before reading.

bewcause of the sacrifice he took?* the moral delema? his conscience? the intrigue?

read zen the other week, good but it must have been very influential cos i can see nothing new in the philosophy. the story comes in at all the right moments, very well written and when you realise that its actually a true story (and that chris was murdered after words (totally unrelated to the book)).
    I liked zen a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Catcher in the Rhye- Salinger. This book had its moments for me as a teenager- but looking at it as an adult - (luckily I'm a paedomorph and can speak with some authority on this :-) - I feel Salinger wrote this to demonize the society he belonged to, he never fully understood how it worked, why it worked the way it did, consequently was outraged by it. I believe he never dealt with his childhood experience; as an adult, I think he maybe a paedomorph.

To be honest I only really felt this after Mark Chapman & John Lennon.

I read it first after the event - understood later - I'm not that old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilo moo

Catcher in the Rye was my choice also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fate turner

The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli.
    not fun, but at the time quite helpful i presume

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

100 Years of Solitude.

So it doesn't improve then? I'm about half way through, I was very excited about it before I started, but I'm finding it quite tedious. And why to all the names have to sound the same, for feck's sake?! If there is one more Jose/Arcadio/Buendia I'm going to crack up!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I found double point by Lionel Shriver a disappointment. I had read it after We Need to Talk about Kevin and it was such a let down for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

lilo moo wrote:
    Catcher in the Rye was my choice also
    Likewise. What is all the hype about?

I think a lot depends on what stage of your life you read a book. Books you hated later in life you may have loved as a teen. And vice versa.

Advertisement