Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney To Captain Everton?

• 11-07-2004 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.football365.com/news/story_118738.shtml

If this is true its an absolute disgrace... How they can consider making a player so young captain is beyong me. This is even lower than GH's appointment of Gerard as captain just to keep him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Yeah it is a bit of a farce alright, as he is not under enough pressure. He started loads of games on the bench last year even (although Im sure that wont be the case this year). I have to disagree with what you say about Gerrard. He is a great captain, I couldnt pick a better one at Liverpool at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I didnt mean Gerard was a bad captain, the way he was appointed was my problem...

Ironically, Rooney was on a subs bench last season to protect him from the pressure and from getting burnt out... Yet now they are gonna appoint him as captain, how will you rest your captain or protect him? I think last season Everton thought he would stay for a long time, thus wanted to protect him from burn out. Now they think he will stay for another few seasons and definetly move on, thus have no need to ensure he doesnt burn out as they wont have em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

not a good move, talk about desparate

Originally posted by eyerer
    not a good move, talk about desparate

That was pretty much my opinion of Gerard appointment last season.. But at least he was 22 or 23 when that happened...

I think the appointment of Gerrard as captain was an extremely astute move by GH. Hyypia looked a shadow of himself, and the team had gone to the dogs. Gerrard stepped into the role and revelled in it. It also strengthened his attachment to the club. Im sure this was one of his reasons for staying, in which case I cant understand how you could consider it a bad move by GH.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    I think the appointment of Gerrard as captain was an extremely astute move by GH. Hyypia looked a shadow of himself, and the team had gone to the dogs. Gerrard stepped into the role and revelled in it. It also strengthened his attachment to the club. Im sure this was one of his reasons for staying, in which case I cant understand how you could consider it a bad move by GH.

I am not saying it was a bad move as such. At the time it was evry unfair on Sami as it pretty much slapped him when he was down... For Gerard it was a good thing and he has grown into the role of captain since.. I just felt it was a little sickening when it happened...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Well looking at the current squad Rooney is likely to be one of the longer serving players in a couple of years and knowing his character he'd relish it. How old was Joe Cole when he first captained West Ham?
    Moyes said it's possible when Rooney is 20, he made his senior debut when he was 16.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I am not saying it was a bad move as such. At the time it was evry unfair on Sami as it pretty much slapped him when he was down... For Gerard it was a good thing and he has grown into the role of captain since.. I just felt it was a little sickening when it happened...

I felt for Hyypia too, but I do think that it took the pressure off him a bit as he was under enough due to his performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Rooney should not be made captain in the immediate future . He has enough pressure to handle the media frenzy without heaping more on him. I think its a poorly thought out attempt to keep Rooney but if he's talking of making him captain two years down the road well then I dont believe Rooney will still be an everton player so its a pointless statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

as knobbles said moyes isnt even considering making him captain for at least another 2 or 3 years, so i dont really see how this is "an absolute disgrace" to quote jesus_thats_great...

There is nothing disgraceful about it... why not make your best player your captain?

By the time rooney is 20/21, he will be a professional footballer for about 5 years.. For such a young player that will be a lot of experience, especially with a major tournament with england under his belt and possibly another one with the world cup in germany, as this is when moyes plans to make him captain around the same time according to the article...

Gerard looked a lot better as a player with the captains armband on his shoulder... why not rooney?

I don't see a problem with it at all... Obviously moyes is offering this to him as in insentive, but its a good one for rooney that is... he'd love to be captain of everton and would really relish the role...

Give it a go and see what happens, but when he is 20/21 is time enough...

Seems to me people here are making a mountain out of a molehill...

nuff said...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

This thread makes more sense now that I've seen that it referes to the future. Making Rooney captain now would be a bad idea but in a couple of years time he might well be an ideal candidate.

Advertisement