Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI keen on Euro 2012 bid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Probably not to be honest. As it says, we only have one stadium, and the fliying to and from Scotland makes it too much of a hassle, surely? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Let's hope they'll realise that a bid won't succeed by offering just 3 stadia ... all of which located in the same city :rolleyes:

The only way I can see it getting off the ground is if the FAI invite the IFA on board and then have four seperate Irish cities involved : Dublin, Belfast, Cork and one other (possibly Derry).

With regard to the 2008 tender, once I saw this 'plan' of offering 3 stadia in Dublin and none for the the rest of our county I knew it was sunk. The FAI'd do well to learn from that if they have any serious intentions of running another (successful this time) campaign.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

We better have enough stadiums ready this time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

We will be doing well to have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I think we would need aleast 2 stadiums to have any chance of co-hosting with Scotland. I new the 2008 bid would fail because UEFA didnt even go to Lansdowne to see how it was, instead they when to Croke Park.........:dunno: For what reason i will never no. "Hi UEFA, look at this great 80,000 seater stadium for are 2008 bid but we cant use it at the moment because we dont own it and Rule 42. but isnt nice."

Talk about a joke. What we should do is re-vamp Lansdowne Road, and SEE if Croke Park is open up and if and when that happens.....THEN launch a bid with Scotland.
    If Scotland agree to this idea.....which i doubt they will since we stole Aiden McGeady, lol. i would love to see it happen. Ireland at a European Championship. (i was to young to remember Euro 88').:(

Fingers Crossed, we re-vamp lansdowne AND Scotland agree AND Croke Park opens up.

• Advertisement

I think we would need aleast 2 stadiums to have any chance of co-hosting with Scotland.
    I think we need 4 ... and, crucially, in different cities.

If we are serious about this bid then we should be joint participants and supplying half the grounds, not just offering ourselves up as some kind of stopgap 'afterthought' in a primarily Scotish bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Well the reason the joint Scottish-Irish bid failed was due partly to both us and the Scots. Scotland's error was commit three stadiums all from the same city, Glasgow. Combined with the fact that the only realistic prospect of other stadiums was Dublin, it looked more like a Glasgow-Dublin bid rather than Scottish-Irish one. Reason UEFA don't like this is because they like to see it as a big cross-cultural occasion, confining things to Glasgow/Dublin doesn't leave much scope for that.

As for having the necessary stadiums, Hungary didn't even have one suitable ground in place but yet made the last four in the Euro 2008 bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The problem is , if we used stadiums in the north , besides Derry City's we would need the IFA in on it aswell .

and I dont think 3 countries would be allowed to host without qualifying .

If we had four stadiums I would recommend 2 in Dublin , one in Cork (maybe expanding Turners Cross to 22,000 )and expanding Derry City's ground to around the same capacity .

This would be fairly spread out and seem to show the different cultures .

Scotland would probably have to go on a similiar path 2 in Glasgow , 1 in Edinburgh and 1 in Aberdeen (I wouldnt think too many of the mediterranean countries would like playing there :p ) .

to me this looks like a sound bid and unless some big country that could buy its way to hosting it is competing with us we should secure the bid .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Prob is the final would be played in Scotland unless we got croker :/

Originally posted by Big Ears
    If we had four stadiums I would recommend 2 in Dublin , one in Cork (maybe expanding Turners Cross to 22,000 )and expanding Derry City's ground to around the same capacity .

Grounds have to be a minimum of 30,000 all seater to pass inspection and the only way I could see any EL ground being viable at that size would be if it were groundsharing with another sport, namely the GAA.

I think the government should really see if they could interest the GAA and top EL sides into sharing grounds. ... the carrot being a free 30,000 seater stadium if they agree. As a bonus, because it would be a 'new' ground not owned by either organisation neither side (ie the GAA) would feel they were betraying their 'principles' by playing there.

Just throwing ideas out here, but if for example would Cork City and the GAA really turn down a 30,000 seater stadium if it was built and offered to them free of charge?

• Advertisement

The GAA might they already have Parc Uí Coimh , and other decent grounds in Cork .

when did that 30,000 capacity rule come in a s there was 2 or 3 stadiums below that number in Portugal , and they wearnt even full a lot of the time :eek: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

TBH, based on the FAI's organisational skills it might be best if we just didn't bother!

The GAA might they already have Parc Uí Coimh , and other decent grounds in Cork .
    That's all well and good but the only way I could see the GAA going for it is if a new ground was built.
    when did that 30,000 capacity rule come

It's been there since Euro 2000 as far as I'm aware. The general ruling is that you must have at least two 30k stadia per group (hense 8 or more in total). Quarter finals can also be played in 30k'ers but semis and final need around 50k. I think the opening match needs 50k as well?
    in a s there was 2 or 3 stadiums below that number in Portugal , and they wearnt even full a lot of the time :eek: . [/B]
    Also as far as I'm aware all 10 stadia for Portugal were 30k. In fact 7 of the 10 were built at exactly 30k just in order to meet the minium requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

This thread would be more appropriate in the Humour section. That's where most jokes are.

Name: Estadio Municipal de Aveiro
    Club: SC Beira Mar
    City: Aveiro
    Capacity: 30,000 seats
    Euro 2004 Matches:
    15/6 Czech R.-Latvia
    19/6 Netherlands-Czech R.

Name: Estadio Municipal de Braga
    Club: Sporting Braga
    City: Braga
    Capacity: 30,200 seats
    Euro 2004 Matches:
    18/6 Bulgaria-Denmark
    23/6 Netherlands-Latvia
    Euro 2004 Stadiums

Name: Estadio Municipal de Coimbra
    Club: Academica Coimbra
    City: Coimbra
    Euro 2004 Matches:
    17/6 England-Switzerland
    21/6 Switzerland-France

Name: Estadio Algarve
    Club: SC Farense
    City: Faro-Loule
    Capacity: 30,300 seats
    Euro 2004 Matches:
    12/6 Spain-Russia
    20/6 Russia-Greece
    26/6 Quarter final

Name: Estadio D. Afonso Henriques
    Club: Vitoria Guimaraes
    City: Guimaraes
    Euro 2004 Matches:
    14/6 Denmark-Italy
    22/6 Italy-Bulgaria

Name: Estadio Dr. Magalhaes Pessoa
    Club: Uniao de Leiria
    City: Leiria
    Capacity: 29,900 seats
    Euro 2004 matches:
    13/6 Switzerland-Croatia
    17/6 Croatia-France

Name: Estadio Jose Alvalade
    Club: Sporting Portugal
    City: Lisboa
    Capacity: 52,000 seats
    Euro 2004 Matches:
    14/6 Sweden-Bulgaria
    20/6 Spain-Portugal
    23/6 Germany-Czech R.
    25/6 Quarter final
    30/6 Semi final

Name: Estadio Sport Lisboa e Benfica
    Club: SL Benfica
    City: Lisboa
    Capacity: 65,000 seats
    Euro 2004 Matches:
    13/6 France-England
    16/6 Russia-Portugal
    21/6 Croatia-England
    24/6 Quarter final
    4/7 Final

Name: Estadio do Dragao
    Club: FC Porto
    City: Porto
    Capacity: 52,000 seats
    Euro 2004 Matches:
    12/6 Portugal-Greece
    15/6 Germany-Netherlands
    18/6 Italy-Sweden
    27/6 Quarter final
    1/7 Semi final

Name: Estadio do Bessa
    Club: Boavista FC
    City: Porto
    Euro 2004 matches:
    16/6 Greece-Spain
    19/6 Latvia-Germany
    22/6 Denmark-Sweden

I have searched and have found one stadium 100 under that 30,000 limit :D

your right that a lot of them are on the 30,000 limit .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

these lads couldn't organise footballs to arrive for the Senior team in Saipan. How then do they think they could organise the worlds 4th or 5 th largest sporting event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

All that will have changed between Dec 2002 and Dec 2006 when this decision is being made is that Lansdowne will be re-developed and Croke Park may be opened. Scotland will still have 3 stadia in the same city.
    It is a farcical suggestion, so close to the last bid not even seeing the light of day at UEFA.
    Oh and by the way once a member of the Irish Olympic team comes third in the egg and spoon race or whatever in Athens, all the politicians will be suggesting an Olympic bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I think they are wasting time, energy and money with this. Realistically Irish football doesn't need 30,000 stadiums so building them for a once off tournament is stupid imo.

The only hope Ireland would have of having 4 stadiums > 30k would be if the GAA allowed soccer to be played on their grounds.

Then the venues would be Landsdowne, Croker and two of Parc Ui Chaoimh(Cork), Semple Stadium (thurles), Gaelic Grounds(Limerick) or Clones. Now even if that did happen (which I seriously doubt it would, for the foreseeable future at least), I coundn't see UEFA giving it the nod as none of these stadiums are used by club teams. UEFA exists to promote soccer so how would having a tournament in stadiums where club soccer is never played further their cause?

If the FAI were to cooperate with the IRFU and build Thomond park to the required specifications and move LimerickFC there (if their still in the LOI :D) then that might be one actual stadium.

But imo it makes no sense whatsoever to even think about bidding for the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Croker will be open to soccor soon! GAA aint getting any more money out of Bertie because he is pi**ed with them about not letting soccor or rugby! GAA are losing money now.,....like playin the Ulster final in Croke Park in a vain attempt to get more money for itself was stupid!! they where sickened when DOnegal bet Tyrone and got to the final...they where banking on a Tyrone V Armagh game so the stadium wud be full.....still got 67,000 or so ...more than clones can hold

But they will have to open it up or face going bust!! not making enough money!!

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Croker will be open to soccor soon! GAA aint getting any more money out of Bertie because he is pi**ed with them about not letting soccor or rugby! GAA are losing money now.,....like playin the Ulster final in Croke Park in a vain attempt to get more money for itself was stupid!! they where sickened when DOnegal bet Tyrone and got to the final...they where banking on a Tyrone V Armagh game so the stadium wud be full.....still got 67,000 or so ...more than clones can hold

But they will have to open it up or face going bust!! not making enough money!!
    Most of this is OT but also rubbish. The Ulster final yesterday was a sell-out in Croker. It was moved so that the Ulster Council could make more money. Also access to Clones was a problem due to roadworks and the like.

Croker may be available to other sports soon or more correctly the Central Council will have the call on what events to allow there. The GAA will still own it and will do what they think is best for their association. Bertie being pissed at them or not is not going to cause the GAA any sleepless nights. And now to get back on topic even with Croker and Landsdowne the FAI would need more stadia, which they don't have and which don't make sense to build for a once off event if they were to have a serious shot of hosting the competition.

Compare this requirement and the work needed on infrastructure to what exists in Austria/Switzerland where they have very little work to do to get their stadia or infrastructure up to scratch for the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

To prev comment -All this is fine but it only happens 2 months of the year. Even the worst business man in the world can see that's bad business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

well in 2008 we will have 2 stadia,

52,000 seater at Lansdowne Road
    82,000 Stadium at Croke Park

whether we can use the latter remainds to be seen, it may well have been open by now if Bertie didnt fúck it up with the €60m offer.

Potenially we may have the 35,000 stadium that may be built up the north. This should be used if it is built.

Personally I think there is a case for a 30,000 all seater stadium in Cork for all sport like Rugby,Soccer, Hurling, Gaelic Football. Something that is similar to some of the stadia we have seen in Portugal. It shouldnt cost hundreds and hundreds of millions.

A bid including those stadia would be very attractive and would surely win.

Its nothing unachievable, all that Ireland needs to do is to build a 30,000 seater in Cork and get the GAA to open Croker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Was reading this on Aertel last night

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p222.htm

The Scots might try a bid on their own

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    Potenially we may have the 35,000 stadium that may be built up the north. This should be used if it is built.
    But where will it be used again? Do you mean in Northern Ireland or in one of the 3 counties of the republic? I couldn't see UEFA going for a 3-team bid. A two team bid has even fallen out of favour with FIFA now.
    Personally I think there is a case for a 30,000 all seater stadium in Cork for all sport like Rugby,Soccer, Hurling, Gaelic Football. Something that is similar to some of the stadia we have seen in Portugal. It shouldnt cost hundreds and hundreds of millions.
    MUnster has loads of decent GAA stadiums so the GAA couldn't be included here. Munster rugby could probably be brought on board but would a EL soccer club use/need such a big stadium? That is where the big problem lies. After all this is a soccer competition we are talking about and the stadiums should really be used frewuently for soccer in order to justify ireland's hosting of a tournament. Running a competition with a load of borrowed stadiums will do nothing ot promote or improve club soccer in Ireland.

Well techinically we can build a stadium up north and still not let the IFA in on the bid .

If the stadium was property of the FAI or the government(of the Republic of Ireland )

for instance im pretty sure using Derry City's stadium would not involve Northern Ireland in the bid .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Well techinically we can build a stadium up north and still not let the IFA in on the bid .

If the stadium was property of the FAI or the government(of the Republic of Ireland )

for instance im pretty sure using Derry City's stadium would not involve Northern Ireland in the bid .

That will not happen, there are plans in place in NI to build a new stadium and get the 3 sports (GAA, Soccer , Rugby) to use it. So there is no-way a FAI or ROI govt. stadium will even get off the starting blocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Right now all the FAI are looking at is the re-vamp Lansdowne Road. They are not playing anything in Cork or anything else at the moment. they want to go with the scotland only with 1 Stadium in Dublin but Scotland wont go with that unless Croker is open.

Croker will defintely be open to other sports by then, one way or another for finanical reasons.

If we cant use the stadium in Northern Ireland or build a stadium down in Cork then we are screwed:confused:

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    Croker will defintely be open to other sports by then, one way or another for finanical reasons.
    Can you post some proof that there is/will be financial difficulties within the GAA in the next few years caused by either Croke Park or other factors? If not then please stop making comments with no basis in reality.

The GAA are in debt as a result of Croker but it's a debt that is manageable. Obviously if they let other sports play there it would help alleviate some of that debt burden but doing so is not a neccessity, at least at the moment.

Croke park may be open by 2012 but if it is you can be sure it will be open on the GAA's terms. Imo, whatever the chance of Ireland holding qualifiers there while waiting for a revamped Landsdowne to be completed, I cannot see the GAA close Croke Park for the months of May and June in order to host a Soccer tournament when it could be using it for it's own games, which was the reason that this stadium was built after all.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by por
    That will not happen, there are plans in place in NI to build a new stadium and get the 3 sports (GAA, Soccer , Rugby) to use it. So there is no-way a FAI or ROI govt. stadium will even get off the starting blocks.

I know that I was just saying that was the only way the IFA couldnt claim to be part of the bid , if there was a stadium in Northern Ireland (which I know there wont be )

We can win this bid if munster gets the go ahead for the 30,000 seater stadia !!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=175686

Advertisement