Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web design course

Options
  • 11-07-2004 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

i need to do a web design course over the summer.
    it will have to be a nightcourse, and pretty broad, covering a wide variety of stuff.
    the cost will not be hugely important, as my boss is going halves with me on it.

anyone have any recommendations?

all help appreciated.
    dave
    :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by davidclayton
    i need to do a web design course over the summer.
    it will have to be a nightcourse, and pretty broad, covering a wide variety of stuff.
    the cost will not be hugely important, as my boss is going halves with me on it.

anyone have any recommendations?

all help appreciated.
    dave
    :p

It might help if you tell us where you actually live unless you're willing to travel half-way accross the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

i'm in dublin.
    lucan actually, but can travel anywhere within dublin.

should i move this to the "webmaster/flash" section?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

only web design course i know is running from september 20th by Fas in Loughlinstown, full-time over 8 months, since you want summertime and nighttime this may not be suitable for you but it will cover a wide area, dreamweaver, web-graphics, flash etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dublin business school also run one

looks too basic...

The Internet is continuing to expand in commercial, academic and social circles as a means of communicating, advertising, publishing, distributing information, and so on. This course aims to give participants the skills necessary to design and develop a web-site from the ground up. Using current design software, this course is aimed at people with computer skills who have little or no knowledge of the Web and who wish to expand their skills into the area of web-site design.

By the end of the course, participants should be able to:

• Construct a Web-site from beginning to end using a high-levelweb-editor.
    • Demonstrate a working knowledge of HTML.
    • Use various Web search engines and directories, and to registertheir own sites with same.
    • Use current software to create images and simple animations, and
    integrate these into their web-sites.
    • Demonstrate good web-design techniques.

Session 1
    Introduction: Introduce various browser software; using search engines and directories; bookmarking sites; analysing a web-site; identifying components of a web-site; information regarding some internet terminology and history.

Session 2
    Getting Started: Basic HTML; Tules for using tags; simple text Formatting; Headings, Line breaks, etc.; and sections; Linking; Inserting an Image; construct a simple web-page using a text editor.

Session 3
    More HTML: Lists; Nested lists; Using background graphics; Adding colour; Introduction to tables; Using a text editor to create and edit simple web pages.

Session 4
    More Tables and Tags: Setting up a table using a web-editor for example, Dreamweaver; Creation and manipulations of tables i.e. table attributes: Cells, Alignment, Rowspan, etc.; Inserting images; Text and image links to other web pages; linking to email addresses.

Session 5
    Frames: Using frames to display several pages in one window; Frame attributes. Modifying frame properties; Resizing frames; Using links and targets to control frame's contents.

Session 6
    Creating Images /Image Maps: Explanation of how web pages use the colour attribute; Introduce image and animation software; Creating images; Animating images; Integrating images and animations into a web-page.

Session 7
    Forms: Use a high-level web editor to create forms, which can be used for surveys, orders etc. Insert text fields, buttons, checkboxes, radio buttons, lists/menus etc; Edit form properties;

Session 8
    Style Sheets and Javascript: Creating and editing style sheets, which will allow control over multiple documents simultaneously; using JavaScript to create image rollovers.

Session 9
    Site Design: Setting up a Web-site with a high-level web-editor from start to finish; Using tags to provide site information for search engines; Using ftp to upload sites to the Internet; Registering sites with various search engines and directories.

Session 10
    Revision / Tidy-Up:

This course will be assessed by assignments. One assignment will be given after Session 3 (25%). The remaining 75% will be given over to a significant web-site design project given in Session 9, and to be completed within a set time limit to be determined by the course lecturer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

check out www.nightcourses.com

There will be loads running in September

will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Eden Computer Training, Eden Centre, Grange Road, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16. They offer the A+ and be contacted on 01 495 3155 or email info@eden.ie. Alternatively you can visit their web site @ www.eden.ie for more information.
    • The Pitman Training Centre offers the A+ computer technician course by distance learning. For more details, you can contact their head office in Dublin on 1800 532 632 or surf to www.pitman-training.ie.
    • Ashfield Computer Training, Main Street, Templeouge, Dublin 6W, offer the A+ course. They can be contacted on 01 492 6708 or email info@ashfieldcomputertraining.com.
    • You can learn to be an A+ technician online at the FAS Net College. For more information, simply surf to www.fas-netcollege.com.
    • The course is also available at Dorset College, 8 Belvedere Place, Dublin 1. Give them a call on 01 830 9677, email info@dorset-college.ie or surf to www.dorset-college.ie.
    • Kilroy's College has recently launched www.e-learning.ie, a website where you can purchase computer based training for all of the major IT certifications, including A+. Full details on costs and course duration are available on the site.

thanks a million syco!
    very helpful.
    the dorset college one looks ok, but has no price on the site.
    i emailed nearly all of them.

[one of the emails didn't get through: info@ashfieldcomputertraining.com - oh well]

just in case there is any confusion,
    i am need to do a web design course, not an A+

Advertisement