Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norton AV 2004 Problem

Options
  • 11-07-2004 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a copy of Norton Anti Virus 2004 today. Installed fine etc on a fresh install of XP. I added Norton Firewall 2004. I have done this before and have had no problems. However now when i go to shut the pc down i get the "end Program" box for a split second and then the pc shuts down?

Its a small problem but its annoying!

Ive tried re-installing it but same happens.

Anyone able to throw some help my way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Axel
    Hi,

I bought a copy of Norton Anti Virus 2004 today.....

Theres your problem. Should return it and install AVG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by RicardoSmith

:)

Tried it, dont really like it tbh.

Btw i bought it in Pc World for €45 while other copies were €50 :dunno: Strange. Its not an upgrade copy either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Lol, sad but true. I lost a year of my computing life to Norton. If only I'd known about AVG and Kerio back then...

Originally posted by Axel
    :)

Tried it, dont really like it tbh.

Btw i bought it in Pc World for €45 while other copies were €50 :dunno: Strange. Its not an upgrade copy either

Do you like your PC not working? Do you like Virus'es? Because you'll get to experience all those delights with Norton. A bag of spanners. Used to be great 5 years or so ago. These days its just not up to scratch. Its also slow and buggy. It also doesn't catch everything that AVG does and thats free.

Thats been my experience of it. I was serious when I said return it. If it was free, I'd still say dump it.

Do you like your PC not working? Do you like Virus'es? Because you'll get to experience all those delights with Norton. A bag of spanners. Used to be great 5 years or so ago. These days its just not up to scratch. Its also slow and buggy. It also doesn't catch everything that AVG does and thats free.

Thats been my experience of it. I was serious when I said return it. If it was free, I'd still say dump it.

Fair enough. Have installed AVG now. Norton Firewall still running. And the PC shuts down normally :)

Any ideas of how i'd return NAV 2004 then?, excuses etc ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Tell them you have a Commodore 64 and it doesn't have a CDROM drive. They'll think you're an idiot, but fair enough.

Originally posted by Captain Trips
    Tell them you have a Commodore 64 and it doesn't have a CDROM drive. They'll think you're an idiot, but fair enough.

Tell them it doesn't clear a virus that your PC has and its a known bug with Norton. Also its buggy as hell and makes your PC slow to a crawl and PC won't shut down. Also a known bug with Norton. Which is close enough to the truth to make no difference.

Make sure you keep AVG, Your Firewall (not the windows XP one I hope) and all your spyware and adware apps up to date. Software like this should just work and should should hardly know its there apart from warning you about virus and that sort of thing.

If you are using Outlook or Outlook Express make sure that you the email scanner enabled in AVG. Mine gets hit hard and AVG seems to be catching them all so far.

Tell them it doesn't clear a virus that your PC has and its a known bug with Norton. Also its buggy as hell and makes your PC slow to a crawl and PC won't shut down. Also a known bug with Norton.

Cheers

I'll try that tomorrow :)

Basically it doesn't protect your PC fully and makes your PC run like a crock. You're well within your rights to return it. If they kick up a fuss tell them you've installed AVG and its found stuff that Norton hasn't.

Basically it doesn't protect your PC fully and makes your PC run like a crock. You're well within your rights to return it. If they kick up a fuss tell them you've installed AVG and its found stuff that Norton hasn't.

Yeah i'm sure the "doesnt get rid of the virus" story will work. Doesnt do what it is designed for etc should be enough to get a refund

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

is norton really that bad?, i have used it for years and its been fine, but after reading this thread i am gonna disable it and install that avg,

em-i'm not sure why i posted this but now you know

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Personally ive found AVG to be a bag of pap. Had some great times with it as it failed to detect many common virii. Have had fairly mixed results with Norton upto 2002 was grand no hassle at all but 2003 and 2004 were and have issues. sophos works like a charm :)

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    Personally ive found AVG to be a bag of pap. Had some great times with it as it failed to detect many common virii. Have had fairly mixed results with Norton upto 2002 was grand no hassle at all but 2003 and 2004 were and have issues. sophos works like a charm :)

Have to say I've never had a problem with AVG. I'd be curious as to why it didn't detect common virii on your rig, but can find everything on mine, including a few that other apps don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

i dont like norton home edition 2003/2004 either myself, but Norton Coporate edition is the dogs

Got the money back.

Thanks lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Who knows Ricardo but that was just my experience. Any of ye try Kaspersky?

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    Who knows Ricardo but that was just my experience. Any of ye try Kaspersky?

I did. Seemed ok. a little fiddly. I like simple apps with as few options as possible that just do their job and I can forget about them. AVG is the closest to this for me.

Advertisement