Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Mac in UL

Options
  • 11-07-2004 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Anybody around here a Mac user in UL? I got a Powerbook for the last month or so of the semester but didnt use it on the network apart from the wireless network in the Foundation Building. One thing I couldnt figure out was how to access marty's search engine, which is obviously simple enough to use on Windows.

Feel free to mention any other tips about stuff thats different on the Mac, twould be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Is this the scabby leg I know???

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Originally posted by bp_me
    Is this the scabby leg I know???

Yep.
    Anyone? Not too many Apple users in UL I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Probably not. But admitadly there arent many people in Waterford using ScabbyLeg as their online persona either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Originally posted by ScabbyLeg
    Anybody around here a Mac user in UL? I got a Powerbook for the last month or so of the semester but didnt use it on the network apart from the wireless network in the Foundation Building. One thing I couldnt figure out was how to access marty's search engine, which is obviously simple enough to use on Windows.

Feel free to mention any other tips about stuff thats different on the Mac, twould be appreciated!

it should be pretty much the same as windows. open up a web browser and type http://marty and it should come up. Marty's search isn't up constantly and is unavailable frm time to time.

I'm not sure about ITD's support for macs. You should email them and ask.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Ah Marty, Yeah you have to set it up in Connection settings. Add "marty" to the list "do not use proxy for the following". This will enable you to go to http:\\marty

Thats on a PC/Laptop. Never used a mac so cant comment. But i asume its the same/similar

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info guys. I could never get there by typing marty into the URL bar though... I'm pretty sure it was working on the PC the same time i tried it too. I think I had all the equivalent settings like the proxy ignore thing aswell.

ITD's site says something along the lines of "You're on yer own" with regards to Macs.

I think I've seen a guy walking out of Plassey with an old Powerbook bag though, maybe I'll try and track him down next semester and ask ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've seen the very occasional person using one in the library. Mostly on the non-networked desks though. Might be worth doing a tour of the library next term and grabbing one of the Born Agains - one of them may have connected their clamshell makeup case to the big bad world.

I should have a list of instructions I put together for someone last term (took me a while as I know nothing about Macs) which worked. If I can find it (I printed two copies, handed over one and "filed" (which always means "lost") the other) I'll let you know. If I can't, follow plan A. Off-hand I can't think of any staff I know who use a Mac.

Ah cheers for the input. I'm sure its nothing overly complicated, I'll get it eventually as I learn to use the Mac more.

Other stuff was ok, just different.. accessing other peoples PCs isn't as convenient as it is on Windows from what I can see.. you have to mount each individual computer / folder so it has an icon on the desktop, does that sound right? Whereas in Windows it was just the standard windows explorer scene, browsing through folders (but with a bit of network lag).
    Also, I couldn't figure out how to get OS X to remember my UL username/password/workgroup, so it would ask me every time I tried to access a different networked drive/PC for the first time, whereas in Windows you tell it that stuff when you log on to the computer in the first place. (Win98/2K anyway, I dont have much experience with XP)

Anyway, weird stuff. Sorry if my networking terminology isnt quite up to scratch, hope i'm getting the picture across!

Advertisement