Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIM and SIM Free

Options
  • 12-07-2004 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Forgive my silly questions, but this board seems to be the best place to find out.

I'm thinking about buying the Sony Ericsson P900 (I say thinking, because I was definitely going to buy until I saw it on display in O2. It was switched off and behind a case so I couldn't hold it, but it looked huge!. First thing that came to mind when I saw it was 'Brick').

Anyways, FoneFactory have just said they are selling the phone for 600 Euros SIM Free (which is usually more expensive).
    Vodafone are selling it for 550 Euros.

Since, I assume, SIM free means I have to 1) buy a SIM card and 2) subscribe to O2 or Vodafone, then what is the advantage of having it SIM free does anyone know?

Thank you loads :-D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

Meteor free texts are yours

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

By going the simfree route --

1. You can upgrade to a new phone before its available to voda/O2/meteor customers (so you can get the newest handsets without waiting).

2. You are entitled to a subsidised upgrade from voda/O2/meteor after a certain amount of time or a certain amount of usage. Buying a sim free phone you don't have to wait until you meet the target (although you will probably end up paying more).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BravoGolf

Thank you very much TimB.

I'll guess I'll just get the phone directly from Vodafone in that case :)

Thanks again.

/Takes a bow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The main benefit of sim free phones is that you can use them on any network, and they won't have vodafone's ****ty branding on them.

Advertisement