Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

through europe on a 125?

Options
  • 12-07-2004 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

i'm going to be driving from italy to ireland on a kmx 125,
    i can't get bigger than a 125 cause i don't have a full licence
    do you think it will be able to make it that far?
    and if i get insured in italy for a year will i be able to use that insurance at home?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most insurance policies and countries don't recognise provisional licences from other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

...and on a 125 you'd be mad. I drove to Dublin on a 125 before from Galway, and I told myself, never again.

Esp. on a 2stroke, chances are youd pop a piston driving that length

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

For one you're Irish provo licence is not valid in any other member state (including NI), I assume you mean you've a full A1 licence.

Two, you'd want to bring some breakdown cover :-) tis a long way for a small capacity stroker, and three it'd be cheaper to ge the bike shipped over, (one site was quoting something like 150 euro, cant remember the link now, they were based around Milan though and sold cheap used machines).

I know a guy who rode to spain on his virago (I think the 250) and loved it, a better choice than an off-roader though.

It'd be a bit of an adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A 125! It would be fine on a decent sized bike (a cruiser would probably be best) as long as you're into long distance biking but on a 125 ...

Do you know anything about mantaining/repairing motorcycles?

I'm not a motorcyclist but I'd put Ireland-Italy on a 125 somewhere just short of entering the Paris-Dakar in a Seicento. ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nowhere man, can you not get a full licence here?
    You would possibly be best off doing an oil service mid-way through the trek.
    you mention about driving from italy --> ireland - are you buying a bike there or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its a liquid cooled bike with a comfy seat, so long as it is serviced and you take plenty of breaks it will be fine (ie don't try and do it all in two days). It will be one hell of an adventure, stay away from the Autostrade and Autoroutes, plot a nice scenic route, buy a Co2 kit for repairing punctures, use good quality 2-stroke oil and drink lots of water...

I covered thousands of miles on a DT80 (aircooled) and only stopped for punctures and petrol. Choose your Alpine crossing carefully - Stelvio/etc will be too difficult and you'll burn out your clutch...

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

if you wanted to tour on a restricted full licence what would you buy? Or is it just not possible with the power limited so much ...

33hp is plenty for a leisurely tour, and ideally a reliable 4stroke 250cc+ would be best.

400 Bros, CB250, SRV250, XV250 are all contenders IMO. Or a restriced bike would be better, a mate of mine is on hols in Biarritz at the moment on her restricted 600 Bandit.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    I'm not a motorcyclist but I'd put Ireland-Italy on a 125 somewhere just short of entering the Paris-Dakar in a Seicento. ;)

:D:D Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Originally posted by Haket
    33hp is plenty for a leisurely tour, and ideally a reliable 4stroke 250cc+ would be best.

400 Bros, CB250, SRV250, XV250 are all contenders IMO. Or a restriced bike would be better, a mate of mine is on hols in Biarritz at the moment on her restricted 600 Bandit.

Thanks, I was in Norway for a few days earlier in the summer, driven about in a car and it just struck me, that I should be here on a bike!! Definitly something to do next summer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

iirc Neil Prenderville of Cork's 96FM went around Europe on a 125cc Drag Star... but then again, he's a twat.

I wouldn't go around Europe on anything less than my 1300cc Royal Star Venture. It's purely a comfort issue... like wearing womens underwear :D

Ohhhh no no no, you wanna sport tourer. The Pyrennes/Alpine roads are far too tempting to just cruise on :-)

1200 Bandit, thats yer man !.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Originally posted by Haket
    Ohhhh no no no, you wanna sport tourer. The Pyrennes/Alpine roads are far too tempting to just cruise on :-)

1200 Bandit, thats yer man !.

Just be sure and watch out for those Spanish ditches, eh? ;)

Teh !, thats was a completely different Haket. I've not dumped a bike in Europe in over 2 years !.

Anyway back to the topic. I say go for it, bring lots of Prep-H though.

Advertisement