Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Network Coverage / Performance at Oxegen

• 12-07-2004 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

So, hope anyone who went down at the weekend had a great time (and didn't get too wet!)

I just took down a Vodafone handset, and it was pretty dire, about 1 in 5-10 attempts to make a call succeeding - suppose being Ireland's most Popular mobile network isn't such a good thing in these situations... also on the way home one person in the car got a flood of SMS messages that were backlogged from the day....

One friend on O2 was having a bit more success, but didn't have any Meteor handsets in the group... so did you have loads of hassle too or were your calls pretty much trouble free... if commenting mention which Operator were you were using...

BrianG

Did you have any hassle with calls/texts at Oxegen? 8 votes

Yes - was redialling loads with lots of 'Network Busy' messages
    0% 0 votes
    Sometimes - every so often a call wouldn't go through but it was generally OK
    100% 8 votes
    No - didn't have any problems at all (honest!)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Had the same problem with VF. Every now and then you would get a burst of messages and voice mail messages.

Spoke to a guy who had a Meteor he was smiling at the fact he was able to make calls and receive texts all day. I take it he wasn't calling anybody on the other networks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I found O2 to be a bit better. Performance has gotten better these days. My first Witnness I couldn't use a phone at all not even to text.

Also noticed performance varied depending on location within the venue. Performance was totally dire over by the Ticket stage area, was better over in the green room area.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Average of 2 hour delay on texts over o2 to vodafone. Calls were particularly hit and miss. Overall o2's network performance was pretty dire to atrocious. GPRS was great though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

I was on meteor and had abosolutely no trouble. there was a couple of occasions my call failed to go through and I had to redial but nothing more than normal. all txts went through instantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by moshpit77
    I was on meteor and had abosolutely no trouble. there was a couple of occasions my call failed to go through and I had to redial but nothing more than normal. all txts went through instantly
    That's quite good. I'd guess there would have been more than the fair share of studenty types at that, so meteor subscribers would probably have been overrepresented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Coverage was brutal at oxegen on o2. Although when my battery died I switched my sim into a friends 3510i and a load of texts came into me. Also, the only friend I could contact everytime I could connect was another guy with an 086 3510i. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sinner_Rez

Coverage is always going to be useless at events like that. People with meteor phones might have been smiling but what happens when they go abroad and there are no agreements with other operators and they get screwed on roaming charges.

If you want comms at a gig like that get yourselfs some walkie talkies. Great craic altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Sinner_Rez
    Coverage is always going to be useless at events like that.

not if the operator's implement enough additional capacity... i spotted mobile base stations at the event but, at least with the Vodafone handset I was using, it wasn't enough to provide a decent service

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Have connections with all networks.

From experience brought my meteor sim

OK it may have taken 20 - 30 seconds to connect but always got there whether it was mates answer machine at oxygen or out side never failed

Meteor rock at festivals (don't use much else)

Dec

• Advertisement
Advertisement