Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance & age

Options
  • 12-07-2004 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hi....i just got my full license and have got a few quotes (first time insurance)....i'm turning 26 next month and was just wondering if its worth my while waiting til i am 26 before getting insured.....so it would be cheaper...
    was just wondering if anyone had done this and if they saved much by doing so..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Hi,
    I'm not sure about the difference from 25 -> 26, but I know I saved myself about 350 Eurons by waiting 1 month when I was going from 24 -> 25.

Also, I explained this situation to companies and some of them worked out difference using the rates at hand (obviously, it could change slightly beetween now and next month). So try asking them 'will it be cheaper if I wait...' on the phone. That's how I found out.

DC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

what kind of price do you pay when you are around 25/26....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It's probably worth your while waiting as once you get a policy you'll be renewing at that date for a while. The accumulated savings over a few years would probably add up nicely, not to mention it being simpler than haggling with your insurance co. every 12 months.

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    It's probably worth your while waiting as once you get a policy you'll be renewing at that date for a while. The accumulated savings over a few years would probably add up nicely, not to mention it being simpler than haggling with your insurance co. every 12 months.

Absolutely, my insurance renewal date is the same as my birthday, which means on that day I get insured as a 26 year old, even though I was 25 the day before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Originally posted by Dub13

I'll be 25 at Christmas - next insurance is due in October and Hibernian are quoting €1800 fully comp on a 1.6 A3 with one years ncb and a full licence (as of last April). That's with a minimum ignition discount - around €2000 without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yep, have arranged my insurance renewal for a few days after my birthday - has saved me quite some money in the past :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Originally posted by Dub13

i'm 26 and just sent off the renewal cheque for mine today; €1316 for fully comp on a year old SAAB 93, 1.8t (actually 2 ltr turbo, badged as 1.8t). Thats with Frank Glennon brokers, as part of a group scheme. The next best was just over 1800 with Hibernian. AXA and Quinn wouldn't even quote me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Originally posted by dcGT
    I'm not sure about the difference from 25 -> 26, but I know I saved myself about 350 Eurons by waiting 1 month when I was going from 24 -> 25.
    It sounds as though the Irish companies might be similar to those in Britain. The biggest drops apparently occur at 21 and 25.

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    It sounds as though the Irish companies might be similar to those in Britain. The biggest drops apparently occur at 21 and 25.

Yep, I think there are a few companies/brokers that only quote people 25 or older. Apparently, you're more sensible then and less of a risk :D

DC.

It would be. Similarly trained/qualified actuaries looking at the same actuarial tables and using similar accident statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

well..i just rang them there and i'll save 300 euro if i wait one month....so i think i'll be waiting...itll probably save me a lot in the future!

Originally posted by jobless
    well..i just rang them there and i'll save 300 euro if i wait one month....so i think i'll be waiting...itll probably save me a lot in the future!

That's good to hear. Better in your pocket than theirs! :) It was pain the first time I did it - I couldn't drive for over a month :mad: ..but it was worth it.

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I'm 26
    Driving a 01 1242cc Fiesta Zetec.
    Just renewed with Hibernian last month.
    Including my Ignition discount I'm paying €960
    Fully comp btw.

That's not a bad premium.
    How many years NCB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

26 Driving a honda integra 1.6
    Quinn Direct €960 ....must point out Jap imports insurance is always higher
    if i had gone with the lancer it would have been €650

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

That's not a bad premium.
    How many years NCB?

Sorry left that out
    2 years ncb

That policy also allows me to drive ANY other car, with the owners permission insured third party.
    Same for ANY motorcycle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

well...ive also signed up for the ignition course....has anyone done this?.....whats it like?......how easy i mean?

Advertisement