Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the story with going over the limit with IOLBB

• 12-07-2004 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Just hit 16.07 gbs on IOLBB plus.
    Honestly I dont think I downloaded that much in 12 days, but thats what it says anyways.

Who has gone over the limit bofore on IOLBB?
    What happened?

Just curious.

Thanks,
    -Coz.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

A couple of months ago I went over the limit and once I went over 17Gb my account was suspended.

Last month I downloaded 16.5 or so and I was able to use it all month, either they have a 1gb buffer built in or their system is inconsistent, either way I'd be careful if I was in your position, there's 2 weeks left and you don't want to be back on dialup for that long!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Iago
    A couple of months ago I went over the limit and once I went over 17Gb my account was suspended.
    Was it the total downloads and uploads that brought you over the 16 gigs, or is it just downloads they counted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

When they say 16gb they mean 16gb max on Downloads OR uploads,

So if u dload 16gb ure over the limit, or if up load more than 16gb ure over the limit.

But say you download 8gb and upload 8gb, which in total = 16gbs you are NOT over the limit.

Iago, when you say ure account was suspended could you just not log on to the service for the rest of the month and when a new month started were u able just to log on again? Or was there phone calls etc. needed?

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    When they say 16gb they mean 16gb max on Downloads OR uploads,
    Thanks, I'd just seen that on their site too.
    I had assumed it was the combination of the 2 for some reason.

well I called them when I realised i couldn't logon, they said that my account had been suspended and wouldn't be reactivated until the next month, realyy pis**ed me off and I offered to pay the extra, but apparently whatever system their using cant reactivate individual accounts.

The account was reactivated on the first of the following month without me having to call them again, must be some auto check on the system

• Advertisement

Alright thanks for the info, guess ill just have to go on a data diet till the end of the month.

Thanks again,
    -Coz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Iago
    The account was reactivated on the first of the following month without me having to call them again, must be some auto check on the system
    That's exactly what used to happen to me every month when the cap was 8GB - I have broken the cap every month since it's been increased to 16GB and I have never lost the net.....are you certain you're cap was 16GB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    That's exactly what used to happen to me every month when the cap was 8GB - I have broken the cap every month since it's been increased to 16GB and I have never lost the net.....are you certain you're cap was 16GB?

How much do ya break the cap by? I went over by a bout a gig or more last month and i'm already and few hundred over at the moment, so just trying to find out what i should keep it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Im on about 7 gigs out of 8 at the minute, going to be hard to keep inside the 8. These caps are a real pain in the ass....:rolleyes:

Well im now on 16.4 really cutting it, dont know how I did 300 mb from the time of my 1st post to now, didnt do any dloading just surfing really... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

you utter leeches :D

I thought I was bad... man, i've never done more than 10GB in a month, come in under my 8gigs most months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Bodan

I think yeer wrong,i remember reading somewhere that you got 8gb download, 8gb upload limit on iolbb and 16gb download ,16upload limit on iolbbplus.Meaning that 16 gb and 32 gb total bandwidth limit respectively on whatever option.

Im on Iolbb's free offer and im praying theres no limit.I have had broadband 13 days and i have download 7gb and i have just started a 1gb file download.I hope when they say in there ad "no conditions" and "Free" that they really mean it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Originally posted by fidel
    Suckers i got over 300GB in 5 month with netsource summer 2003 before the even send me one email

Now that's a lot of tissues worth! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

aah the joys of 1gb a day ntl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

guys, look at there faq. they explain it there. if you upload 4gb and dl 17gb your a/c will be suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I break it by about 2-3GB at the most: that's at the end of the month, if you get within 4 days of the end of the month it seems they don't care how much you download until the next month.

Originally posted by vishal
    guys, look at there faq. they explain it there. if you upload 4gb and dl 17gb your a/c will be suspended.

i dont see anything on their faq thats says that.

all it says it that they reserve the right to charge you 3c/mb

Originally posted by balkieb2002
    i dont see anything on their faq thats says that.
    http://www.iol.ie/broadbandplus/frame_bbp_faq.htm#a15
    I assume that applies to the regular IOLBB, but with 8 rather than 16 gigs for the cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 g00ndp00l

IOL are a joke,
    i've had the service nearly a year now and my first month i downloaded 15GBs and uploaded 5GBs,
    My account was suspended just like Iagos was but when i rang up about it my account was reactivated straight away and 2 days later a bill arrived at my house for 220 yoyos.. i never paid it, i just ignored it to be honest, i was waiting for the final notice.

Alas i never got one but i got a call 2 months back saying i havent paid any subscription fees EVER!!
    (its true!!) i didnt even notice the money was not coming out of my account they never got in touch with me about it and its in the contract that you have to be notified within 30 days if direct debit fails,

Havent heard from them since so my bill is probably getting bigger and bigger. i'm canceling the account as soon as the year is up and hoping that i dont have to pay them,

WOOHOO BROADBAND FREE FOR A YEAR DEADLY:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I'd be careful mate. I was on IOL NoLimits many moons ago. I cancelled it and went with UTV flat rate (before BB). Never thought anything of it until about a year later when a letter from a debt collection agency arrived (Intrum Justica or something like that) demanding I pay them a years worth of IOL subs plus their charges!
    Turns out IOL never cancelled my account. Took a lot of phone calls and letters to convince them they were in the wrong.

Moral of the story is: DON'T TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED, IOL ACCOUNTS WILL SCREW YOU GIVEN HALF THE CHANCE

• Advertisement

2 days later a bill arrived at my house for 220 yoyos

Was this in relation to you going over the limit. ie the 3c per extra 1mb thingy.. or just a bill for x amount of months you owed?

Has anyone else evey been sent a bill asking for the 3c for every 1mb over the limit thing?

They're not charging at the moment just suspending accounts, in their t's & c's they state that they can do either and for now they seem to be going down the suspension rather than charging route...

How certain are you of that :/ ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i go over the limit every month buy 200% or more trying to get them to charge me extra or disconnect me but they just wont do it ;(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by tuxy
    i go over the limit every month buy 200% or more trying to get them to charge me extra or disconnect me but they just wont do it ;(

Only 32GB, come on you could do better then that!

i'm currently gone over the 17gb mark (i went over it monday) but i havent turned off my modem yet as i fear i won't be able to reconnect ie my accont would be suspended. As turning off modem is the only way the usage calc will update i don't wanna do that.

Will this stop my account from being suspended or will they just cut me off anyway?

even if you don't turn off your modem your account will still be reset, they automatically reset the connection every 24 hours to change the ip address

Iago, you said above that they dont charge at the moment just disconnect, how are you so sure of this? :/

-Coz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

Does everyones usage calculator work?

http://www.iol.ie/broadband/bb_use.htm

And are there any third party software apps anyone would recommend as i can use as an approximate reference?

Many thanks

• Advertisement

hello again,

There are loads of Threads in the broadband Forum about 3rd Party Monitors, just do a Search, in the forum.

Advertisement