Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you restrict residency based on Irish-language fluency?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

Nuttzz wrote:
    Making areas irish only, making irish a working eu langauge, why bother? The irish langauge is dead, build a bridge and get over it....

According to the 2002 census 1,570,894 people can speak Irish. So its really goin to be hard for you to say that its dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Diorraing wrote:
    According to the 2002 census 1,570,894 people can speak Irish. So its really goin to be hard for you to say that its dead.

Yeah, when my father filled out the census form he marked our family as an irish speaking one so what those that mean? 390,000 people in the UK said their religion was "Jedi".... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Diorraing wrote:
    According to the 2002 census 1,570,894 people can speak Irish.
    And for about 95% of that figure, this ability to speak Irish only counts if the whole conversation is about (a) permission to go the toilet or (b) their adventures picking blackberries in a field.

ReefBreak wrote:
    And for about 95% of that figure, this ability to speak Irish only counts if the whole conversation is about (a) permission to go the toilet or (b) their adventures picking blackberries in a field.

Ha ha. Funny
    The number may be a bit OTT but the fact of the matter is Irish is far from being a dead language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Wickila also 'restricts' residency in its county development plan but thats based on ovine grounds not linguistic ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

Diorraing wrote:
    The number may be a bit OTT

A bit OTT? I would have said utterly unrealistic, and totally unrepresentative of the actual place of An Teanga in Irish life.

Why do I have the feeling that before long you'll be reminding us that the Constitution says it's the first official language?

Why do I have the feeling that before long you'll be reminding us that the Constitution says it's the first official language?

I don't know, because you like putting words into other peoples' mouths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

I doff my hat to you, sir. That's the last time I let my guard down in any language.

ReefBreak wrote:

:D

Advertisement