Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

auto language detect

Options
  • 12-07-2004 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I need to put a few pages on my site in two different languages. Ive been looking all day, and I thought this would be really simple to do / easy to find... but it doesn't seem so..

So basically what I want is to write a html/css page with both languages included and have the reader's browser only render the language set in their preferences and ignore the other language.

Can this be done? I starting to think not... (I know it can be done with advanced coding, but that's not for me - its mostly just a personal site, nothing professional or commercial)

any info appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It can be done - yes.

You might want to poke around http://www.hotscripts.com or one of the other online script archives.
    Basically you want to check the language string in the browser and push the relevant version of the site/page to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭P&L

It looks like that is what I'll have to do, I just assumed I would be able to do something like this:
    <p>
    <language=en>
    english language text
    </language>

<language=fr>
    french language text
    </language>
    </p>

With something in the head that detects the language and only renders text in-between preferred <language> tags. thus saving me work and making the pages much more manageable :D, similar priniciple to CSS kindof... everything on the one page

guess Ive just gotten too used to things being easy for non-web guys

cheers blacknight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Try this query:
    http://www.hotscripts.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?bool=AND&query=browser+language&catid=all

Some of that is quite old, but it should give you a start

Advertisement