Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSI K8N Neo Plat - got 1? check plz

Options
  • 12-07-2004 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Just a quick query for MSI K8N Neo Plat owners.

You can set the max memory speed (200 i think is the highest in bios 1.1) Yet when i set it to this and raise the FSB the memory speed still rises. What am i doing wrong or is this a BIOS issue? (raises according to clockgen and BIOS)

Any ideas on what im doign wrong or is this indeed a bios issue/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Aha i see what im doign wrong and how it works now. Ignore this unless other users need help with it too :p

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Out of curiousty I have not started overclocking with my neo yet. What where you doing wrong with the memory to cause it to rise?

Is bios 1.1 the default bios or have you flashed it yet.....I here there is a beta bios out 1.13 thats slightly better for overclocking. Also I have heard people running on a sata raid setup should switch to sata connection 3 and 4 rather than 1 and 2.

basically i was sticking it to 200 max mem. However this doesnt work. You need to stick it to 175 as this will set the memory speed at 175 and when you overclock it will rise from 175 instead of the defualt of 200. (ie cpu fsb starts at 210 (dunno why it started at 210 instead of 200) and was brought up to 245 while the memory at 175 got nbrought up to 204 .

Bios 1.15 is what reviewers used and is move overclockable but less stable. There are a number of betas (1.2 a-e or something) all fix or break something.

the japanese site has released a final 1.2j so we should get a final 1.2 soon.

I dunno about sata im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea that memory thing is a known issue with the K8N Neo. So your up to round 2.45ghz ? Thats pretty decent as its a little over 2.6ghz with the a newcastle core.

Have you adjusted the HTT ie 1T or 2T? There is an issue with this in some cases and it can help/hinder your OC results......

Does the CPU require 1.75v to run at that speed or will it run lower and mabye its the Board/BIOS/HTT thats limiting you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

BK new bios

New bios 1.33

1.33 havent tested it yet

another link

• Advertisement

Thanks dave, dont have a floppy yet.
    Does the CPU require 1.75v to run at that speed or will it run lower and mabye its the Board/BIOS/HTT thats limiting you?

1.45 was fairly unstable. Would crash at the stat of 3dmarks so im back to 1.4 atm.

at 1.4 it needs 1.75v or prime 95 will give an error after 25mins (1.7v). At 1.75v it ran for 9hrs just now without a hitch. I dont know what the HTT is yet so i havent touched it. I stuck it up to htt x5 at one stage and my pc wouldnt POST (even after cleard the cmos, ia ctually had to resit the ram before it would post).

Its at HTT x4. I could try lowering that to see if it would make a difference but i think ill wait for the new official BIOS before i start testin again. (might try the BIOS Dave posted).

A lot of people on the MSI forums are having problems getting past 230FSB (or 240 in some cases..) while others can hit 280+. Tis a little weird but im hoping a new BIOS will let me increase the speed to what i set myself as a target (2.5).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

AFAIK its to do with double sided Ram in a pair. The memory controller on the C0 revision was known for it, so its CPU and not board related. Think the CG improved on this. Try lowering the HTT to 3x , shouldnt make much difference to our system performance but might help your overclock.

The people getting such high HTT are mostlightly using 2x256mb Ram , or a single 512mb module..........

u dont actually need a disk to flash it Bk, there's an award app u can use i'll send it to you when i get home ok

k ta dave.

Right ill try HTT x3 at some point later.

Dr4gul4 just noticed you have a thermaltake lanfire case. I think that comes with the hardcano 9 fan controller. I was wondering is it the blue lcd screen version or default unlit version. If its the blue lcd one would you be interested in a trade for the standard unlit one. I could compensate you with a game or a few euros perhaps. After there lighting there both identical.

Gonna try overclocking this board tonight let you know how I get on.
    Can you send that award app to me for updating bios?

• Advertisement

Azza i have the blue 1 but tbh i'm not gonna sell it for the simple reason that once the temp goes over 40 the display goes blank :(

I just havent had the time to trick about with it yet so see why this is happeneing, but i wouldnt pass on shoddy goods if ya follow me.

D.

Gosh darn it I want that blue hardcano. Second person to turn me down. But both people had understanable reasons. Doubt you would know anyone else who has one?

sorry dude cant say i do,why not try a blue marker ??? or maybe a sweet rapper dats kinda blue ???

rofl dave.
    Sure give it to me, no problems going over 40 degrees here ;)

official 1.2 bios is out now folks, seems to fix some of the false temp readings

Bios 1.2

Right i hope it will improve overclocking a bit as well.

Bk install the live update thingy and it will flash it for you

D.

Updated the bios and gave it a bash overclocking. After 215 fsb the raid setup was undetected so switched to sata ports 3 and 4 and easily started overclocking well. I got the FSB to 250 with a multiplyer of 10 but would of required more than 1.7v was not interested in going that high. Temps had gone up to 60 degrees so tonned it down to 2.45mhz overclock my graphics card and the ram flew in the overclocks. I think perhaps only with a thermalright heatskin and fan could I safely maintain an overclock of 2.5Ghz. Back to considering water cooling and Vaporchills :)

fair play dude sounds like ure gettin there, no all i need to do is get BK up to spec so he can brag about how much faster his pc is then mine :(, might speak to combatcow about watercooling, but the case is quite small and with the X800Xt in there i cant say there will be a lot of room but we'll see

D.

Dave im already on 2.4 with a lower start speed so hush j00 :p

Ill flash the bios over the weekend. Im kinda dubious as it took a while for this pc to like my cureent overclock and i dont wanna have to start all over again.That said i probalywl on my days off on sunday and monday :p

• Advertisement

Yeah I can't wait for my x800xt. Question is will I go for phase or water cooling?
    I reckon on a vaporchill you have at least another 200mhz to go over what B-K currently has. I seen over 700mhz overclocks using mach II's

Not a fan of the look of the vaporchill case. But then again I need a computer that is mobile so that hurts the case for water cooling. Have to mull over it for another while. Third option is buy a mid level second computer. Could always throw half the ram 1 hard drive and the 9800xt into a second computer perhaps get the epox board and a amd 64 3000 and maybe get a thermalright fan and swap em around.

What you guys think?

Advertisement