Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

clutch for r5 how much

Options
  • 12-07-2004 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

im thinking of buying a r5 non turbo but it needs a clutch i can get the car for 40 yoyos but how much will a clutch cost me
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

try German, Swedish & French and Euro Car Parts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Depending on the model, the clutch is difficult to get at - the older 848cc engined ones are the most difficult - are you planning to fit it yourself? Is the car in Mullingar by any chance? I looked at one there with a knackered clutch recently.

'ceptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

yes to both what did u think of it

I was looking for something unusual to use at weekends and these are getting rare. I have a history of buying wrecks and doing them up, I like a challenge - unfortunately it needs too much money spent and is missing too many important bits. If you are handy and are planning to use this as a donor car for another project then buy it, but it needs far too much work. You really would want to be brave if you planned to put this on the road, I've compiled a short list which might apply to any red 1977 R5 for sale in the Mullingar area and not just one with the reg K?? 79 ;)

Replacement tax book €15
    Clutch € 80-100 (pulling the drives dumps the gear oil on the floor)
    Bonnet, boot, driver side wing, battery tray badly perforated €?
    Floor needs a panel welded in behind passenger seat €
    Petrol tank repaired with fibreglass (!) and needs replacing €?
    Four tyres €80-120 (I was going to buy part-worn for €7ea)
    Headlight reflectors rusted €?
    Drivers rear lens broken
    Number plate light missing
    Rear wings repaired with filler and still showing pinholes
    Exhaust box has huge hole
    Wiper blades and arms

I didn't drive the car so can't comment on balljoints, brakes, suspension, steering etc but expect to find anything when you start looking.

It is possible to find the parts and there are plenty of enthusiast websites, the seller knows where there are some parts, but if you needed to get an NCT or wanted to eventually show the car it could cost €1,000, not including your labour.

In summary - don't. Spend a little bit more (€400) and get something much better which will pass an NCT.

'ceptr

k thanks for that was really after the shell ill look elsewhere thanks

• Advertisement

Oh the shell is just too shagged to talk about - if you needed a good engine for an R4 or wanted something for your 12 year old kid to learn how to drive in then maybe...

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭BrianD3

these are getting rare
    That's an understatement :) The original R5 is now virtually extinct on Irish roads. In the last 5 years driving (and I'm on the road a helluva lot) I have seen just the one. They had gotten extremely rare even before the NCT was introduced.

Other seventies Renaults and many other makes are the same. They all seem to have disappeared (rusted?) into thin air. You don't even see them in scrapyards anymore.

I started a thread a while back on this topic
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91939

BrianD3

The R5 was sold up until '96 - way after the Clio was introduced to replace it - I always thought it was to use up parts they had in stock, but there is probably a better reason. The old R5's were a great car, shared lots of parts with other Renaults but suffered badly from rust due to the steel used to make them being chemically identically to prawn crackers. My first car was a '80 R4 van and despite trying everything to keep it going, it dissolved like a McVities Digestive in a cup of tea.

Saying that, I was at the car show in Terenure last Snday and saw lots of old Irish stuff that people are using regularly. I nearly bought a Fiat x1/9 - I have always wanted one...

Oops, rambling inanely - over and out..

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The R5 was sold up until '96 - way after the Clio was introduced to replace it - I always thought it was to use up parts they had in stock, but there is probably a better reason. The old R5's were a great car, shared lots of parts with other Renaults but suffered badly from rust due to the steel used to make them being chemically identically to prawn crackers. My first car was a '80 R4 van and despite trying everything to keep it going, it dissolved like a McVities Digestive in a cup of tea.
    LOL :) In fairness to Renault they weren't the only seventies manufacturer to make cars that dissolved like sugar cubes in hot tea. Japanese manufacturers, Citroen, British Leyland and of course the Italians were all just as bad or worse.

The R5 "supercinq" that was sold up until about 96 was a million times better rustproofed than the original 5.The supercinq was introduced around 1985 and you still see a few of them around. The bodies are usually tatty but relatively intact.

BrianD3

yea ive seen a lot recently around coolock/santry motstl gt turbos and imported from uk must be popular again, i never really liked them but now i want one

• Advertisement
Advertisement