Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom FWA & Satband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

interesting, thanks for the link

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

also judging from the phonecall with "pamela"

Eircom FWA is Available mainly in areas that already have DSL !

Greystones was my example, greystones already has dsl but kilcoole dosnt so i enquire about fwa for kilcoole and they say im too far away from greystones and it wouldnt be LOS !!!

Conclusion Eircon FWA is available ONLY in towns that already have DSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Broad band Satellite Starter download allowance 250Mb??????

for €30 euro a month and a premium rate support line and after cashing out €423 to get the installation they stick you with a 250 Mb cap? That has to be 250 Mb a day doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Blitz
    also judging from the phonecall with "pamela"

Eircom FWA is Available mainly in areas that already have DSL !

Not always. Did you get a list of the towns off her by any chance ? If so please post them in here so we can compare.

The FWA has a range of up 7-10km if the terrain is flat while DSL only has a range of 5 or 6 KM . Therefore fdor those who live on the fringes of those towns ....and cannot get DSL ...... FWA is the only option.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Therefore for those who live on the fringes of those towns
    Or those within 1km of an enabled exchange whose lines keep failing.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Muck
    The FWA has a range of up 7-10km if the terrain is flat
    I reckon that's optimistic, if they're using the same Airspan technology as they use for FWA PSTN. I know one person who has perfect LOS to the Eircom mast 10km away, but his FWA phone line can barely sustain a dialup connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

I havnt got an town list, but i will email her back and see if she gives me one.

I hate to inform you that ireland dose not have flat terrain in areas that currently dont have dsl :)

the 250mb is right apparnetly

and according to her the lacency on satband is 0.8 seconds on one way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The FWA package MAY be of interest

1. If you have €720 spare (including VAT) for the install , thereafter it costs the same as second package from bottom ADSL but with no Cap.

2. And/or you cannot get anything else (except VSAT)

3. And/or you live maybe 6 or 7 KM from an eircom tower, just beyond DSL range ...10km may be optimistic for most unless they are right smack in a sector cone .

4. And/or you live nearer the exchange but are pairgained or otherwise on a rubbish line as are many.

5. And/or the local council will not make you take the antenna straight down

6. And/or it is available in your area .....

Possibly .

M

Advertisement