Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fayourite Variation of Poker

Options
  • 12-07-2004 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

Right guys all we ever discuss is Holdem with a bit of Omaha thrown in for good measure. What is your favourite variation of poker outside these two games, and maybe we should have a home game dedicated to these other games. My favourite is a game called Baby Sweat. Everyone gets dealt 5 cards face down, and you are not allowed to look at your cards. The player to the dealers left turns one of his cards face up. The play then moves to the next player, who has to keep turning his cards till he beats the first players card. So if the first player turned an Ace the second player would need a pair to stop turning his cards. If the second player does not beat the ace play moves on to the next player. If the second player does turn a pair, play moves on to P3 who keeps turning till he beats the pair. Play keeps moving around the table like this. At any stage any player at the table can call Stop, and the player in play must stop turning their cards while the caller places a bet. Anyone who wishes to stay in the game must keep paying up for all the bets. It is a real blood and guts game, and can be very expensive if you do not play it well, but when you win a hand you are chuffed. So anyway, lets hear what you got?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Blasphemy!!!

Can we change the name of the forum to Holdem Poker to avoid these types of threads :)

Seriously though, Omaha is as far as I stretch from Texas Holdem. Why drive a Lada when you can drive a Cadillac?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't mind stud that much, its a cool game, I like to play limit the odd time.

As for other games I like 5 card stud because you can't be outdrawn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Southern Cross and Hi-Lo Cincinatti (mad game).

SC is five communal cards in the shape of a plus and each player gets five hole cards also. The communal cards are turned one at a time and a round of betting takes place after each. You can only use one row of the communal cards with your own five ie the three across or the three down but not a combination of both rows.

HL Cincinatti is basically hi low seven card stud where you declare at the end whether you are going for the high or the low hand. The difference is that whoever has the highest spade in their hole cards also gets a third of the pot. You can also call the high and the low hand but if you get beaten in either you lose both. Complicated I know. Basically if you have the ace of spades in the hole you bet like crazy because you will def be getting a third and you would hope to pick up the high or the low as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

No Limit Wild Omaha

Standard deck with the inclusion of three jokers that are wild. Imagine the madness that ensues when a couple of wild cards hit the board! A guarentee for some Red Hot Cash Game Action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Variations of poker? I don't even like Limit hold-em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sirchancealot

I recommend Learning Omaha HI/lO OR DRAW 2-7,a-5 for anyone who feels they regularly get dealt crap hands,theres nothing like winning with the worst hand.

These games can be played for as little as 01/02cent on UB or as free role tourneys on stars.

One other point....is everyone aware that stars (I am not affiliated with this site) regularly run freeroll tournaments in limit,no lim,omaha,omaha hi/lo,stud etc....the prize is generaly about 9 or so tickets to a tourney with cash prizes,these are great tourneys to practice your on line tourney skills.Be warned though that as they are totally free they are absolutely mad for the first hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

What time are the freerolls and the tournies usually on at?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

My college days had many wild games. My favorite was guts. Three card poker with a twist.
    Everyone pays the ante and gets 3 cards. Starting left of the dealer each player says whether they are in or out. Then the players who stayed in show their hands. The winner takes the pot. The loser/s match the pot. So if 3 players say they are in then the 2 losers match the pot and for the next hand the pot is doubled with no antes required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Originally posted by PHB
    I don't mind stud that much, its a cool game, I like to play limit the odd time.

As for other games I like 5 card stud because you can't be outdrawn :)

Yes you can, theres a famous example told in a few books (including the Biggest Game in Town). with a famous line as well! I'll have a look for it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I like the variation of 5-draw that's played in California, explained in Super System. One joker, which can be used as an ace or to fill a straight or flush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sirchancealot

What time are the freerolls and the tournies usually on at?

There seems to be a few per day,Just download their software and look up the schedule.

Advertisement