Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Book/Annual/Mag

Options
  • 12-07-2004 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Following a thread I posted on After Hours and at the suggestion of flogen, I am posting here in feedback where I should have posted to begin with.

There are an incredible amount of really intelligent, witty and interesting posts on boards.ie . I was thinking to myself that it would be a great idea if there was a yearly annual or book with the best bits from boards OR as flogen suggested, a magazine.

Anything which generated a lot of posts and interest would be prime candidates for inclusion in the publication. It was after reading the post about Pizza's by dod that I thought "this is really excellent stuff" and it should be immortalised in print and not lost in a sea of posts within a few hours.

The dod post I mention is at

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...threadid=172778

but even now on after hours theres one about strange places people have slept. Again, there's some really funny ones in there which make great reading.

Polls could also be included (suggested by flogen), as well as some of the creative writing section. Theres ready made movie and tv reviews.

I know the whole idea of a bulletin board is that it's online discussion and not for print but damn it, there's a lot of posts on here deserve a wider audience.

SO, I don't know if this is enough in terms of a proposal but would be interested to see what others thought.

Thanks/
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I think there is a forum for it already (In system) but its not viewable to the public for whatever reason

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

As I did in After Hours, I'd give my full support to this idea.

To develop on the polls idea, I was thinking the admins (or mods of corresponding forums) could set up polls to find best/worst bits of the year, example being the TV mod could have a "best/worst moment in TV 2004" poll, with the results being put with others as a collection in the annual.

I did say mag, which would probably be cheaper to print up... but maybe not as classy looking (then again, foggy notions is a very stylish looking mag).

There could be a lot of stuff, such as various witty posts like dods, best bits from letters to the editor (if thats still going), even this year you could include a feature on the debate, which was quite a step forward for here and the Irish web community too.

I'm sure with some brainstorming there could be plenty of content, covering as wide a spectrum as the site does. The mag could also push publicity for the forums (not that its needed), and admins could have profile incl. sexy pics :p:D

Anyway, I give this full support, and am willing to do anything to help it, I'm sure I could find others who would help out too, and people who have contacts regarding getting it printed etc.
    I have a good knowledge of quark, so page layouts would be a doddle, and I could do writing where needs be.

flogen

Originally posted by damnyanks
    I think there is a forum for it already (In system) but its not viewable to the public for whatever reason

allee's idea is a print annual/mag, not just online.

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm just wondering who'd buy this, how would they buy it and why? Bathroom reading?

I have a vision of Irelands Own for smart metrosexual things!

It could have a use by way of publicity for boards, a bit of careful shtick could have it featured as novelty item of the radio/tv and newspapers as in -

"Hey there's this whole community which reflects the 21st century face of Ireland and the Irish etc" and do a 3 min/half-page feature.

Mind you I'm not sure Dev etc would necessarily want more new users than this place is already gaining.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I like the idea .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Good idea..

Lots of work though :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I don't see it working. Who would pay to read it? Ordinary members of the public wouldn't have heard of boards.ie so why would they buy it, and members of boards.ie could just read the posts for free online if they wanted to. It would really only appeal to maybe 100 members of boards.ie.

What would be a better idea would be to feature a selection of the best posts on the frontpage (or under a different web address) and to try advertise that around the net through search engines and the like.

I don't believe there's any monetary profit to be made from something like this.

Originally posted by Exit
    I don't see it working. Who would pay to read it? Ordinary members of the public wouldn't have heard of boards.ie so why would they buy it, and members of boards.ie could just read the posts for free online if they wanted to. It would really only appeal to maybe 100 members of boards.ie.

Depending on the way its marketed, it could be appealing to people... its all a matter of content really. If it were just some good posts, it wouldnt appeal to non-boards users, and to be honest, to boards users either. If there were sort of 'reviews' of events of the year by mods, events that effected everyone it could work. I can only think of so many ideas, but I'm sure with enough heads together, and enough time and thinking, there could be plenty of stuff that goes on here (or is discussed here) that could be of interest to boardsters and non-boardsters alike. I certainly think its worth pursuing, obviously planning it out, seeing if its worthwhile first, but dont just assume it would be of no interest to anyone. Also, even if it was a collection of good posts, theres a good chance of it being interesting to boards users. I'm not certain, but isnt the Irish Times Annual just a collection of their best bits? Surely regular readers wouldnt be bothered with that, they've read it already, but it sells well.
    What would be a better idea would be to feature a selection of the best posts on the frontpage (or under a different web address) and to try advertise that around the net through search engines and the like.

Certainly worth considering, but I think there is alot more possibilities in boards.ie than just a collection of good posts. It sounds cheesey, but there is alot of people here who reflect a modern Ireland, and done properly it could appeal to many people
    I don't believe there's any monetary profit to be made from something like this.

since when was boards about profit? I'm sure, if it went ahead, the target would be to break even, and anything else is a nice plus to go towards servers etc. The price could be kept down with a few ads, and also with the knowledge that money isnt the goal of the publication.

I do think that there may not be a market for it, but I'd personally like to look into the possibilites of an annual, see what ideas people have, and see if there is a market (perhaps niche) for such a thing.

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think it's a great idea!

I think if it had a selection of posts from the previous months and important (and also not so important) views from Boards.ie members on various topics - it would be well worth a look!

I consider paying money for it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I honestly think this is a terrible idea. Firstly I don't think there's anything really worthwhile to include in the magazine and even if there was it'd never get off the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Originally posted by oeNeo
    I honestly think this is a terrible idea. Firstly I don't think there's anything really worthwhile to include in the magazine and even if there was it'd never get off the ground.

There's a lot of terrible magazines out there that do well....

.... RTE Guide, for example?!

:D

I think a magazine that's exclusive to Boards.ie users is a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

yep i like it.

My quark, corel draw, photoshop, writing skills etc. are offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

It's not expensive to produce a content based magazine. If its any good it's not even hard to get people to read it and you dont even have to charge for it to still be able to make money on it. (e.g. The Slate)

Personally I dont think it would be viable if just marketed for boards.ie peeps because, well lets face it they could read the stuff online. Why bother with all the work (and there is lots) in producing an actual hard copy mag? It would be infinetly easier to set up and maintain an online one.

Unfortunatly I agree with oeNeo to a certain degree. I dont think it's a bad idea because of a content problem, I think all the problems would stem from unreliability. There are easily enough talented artists, creative authors, and just generally funny people for the content aspect. The problem is that what your suggesting would take much more than that. There are all sorts of no glory jobs like production and distribution, not to mention the financial requirements. Who will do those and will they do them continually? It's ALOT of work and for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

An offline magazine version of boards? That's like selling low quality snow to an Eskimo or inferior grade sand to a Saharan.

Nigga please.

Originally posted by Shad0r
    It's not expensive to produce a content based magazine. If its any good it's not even hard to get people to read it and you dont even have to charge for it to still be able to make money on it. (e.g. The Slate)

Personally I dont think it would be viable if just marketed for boards.ie peeps because, well lets face it they could read the stuff online. Why bother with all the work (and there is lots) in producing an actual hard copy mag? It would be infinetly easier to set up and maintain an online one.

Unfortunatly I agree with oeNeo to a certain degree. I dont think it's a bad idea because of a content problem, I think all the problems would stem from unreliability. There are easily enough talented artists, creative authors, and just generally funny people for the content aspect. The problem is that what your suggesting would take much more than that. There are all sorts of no glory jobs like production and distribution, not to mention the financial requirements. Who will do those and will they do them continually? It's ALOT of work and for what?

totally agree, theres no point in having it full of boards.ie in-references, so that non boardsters dont have interest, but its a balancing act to make it boards related, while open enough to people who dont have a clue what boards is.

God knows how viable it would be, but I certainly think its worth checking out, finding how many people are willing to work on it (for free, of course) as well as the no glory jobs, and of course the finance. It would only be a once a year thing, so that takes some pressure off (unlike a montly or something)...

as for it being a lot of work, and for what? well, it would be an interesting new boards angle, IF it worked, it could shine a light on the site, and any thespians who happen to scuttle within, and it might give boardsters without a laptop something to read while on the john....:D

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by flogen
    As I did in After Hours, I'd give my full support to this idea.
    Its like a black rose from an italian mobster.....

Originally posted by syke
    Its like a black rose from an italian mobster.....

Why must you disrespect me like this, eh? You gotta no respect...;)

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its a good idea but why not have a pdf made first. I mean the boards awards have never got off the ground and i for one dont like to reag long posts.

So why not do up a sample pdf and see how its goes after that.

Originally posted by flogen
    Why must you disrespect me like this, eh? You gotta no respect...;)

I wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

We could have a whole feature on "The Curious Incident of boards.ie and The Elders".

A comedic novella in fact!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    We could have a whole feature on "The Curious Incident of boards.ie and The Elders".

A comedic novella in fact!

*cough* huh?
    :D:D

seriously, though... if you want I can write one.... :D:D

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I agree with a lot of what people have said and don't deny it could turn into a mega undertaking but there's books on the shelves out there which are utter rubbish, and I read a lot more entertaining comments and views here than in many commentaries in newspapers and magazines.

As already mentioned, it's a marketing job and whittling away to determine a target market. That is probably key to taking it any further and along with that, to define the content further. But it does need agreement in principle to proceed from the boards.ie founders and enough willing bodies to push it through to the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'm not very keen on this idea - why not just do a best threads section on the site itself. Otherwise it'll end up being a publication Sunday Independent journos and other such types read for keeping in touch with the geeks or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by alleepally
    I agree with a lot of what people have said and don't deny it could turn into a mega undertaking but there's books on the shelves out there which are utter rubbish, and I read a lot more entertaining comments and views here than in many commentaries in newspapers and magazines.

As already mentioned, it's a marketing job and whittling away to determine a target market. That is probably key to taking it any further and along with that, to define the content further. But it does need agreement in principle to proceed from the boards.ie founders and enough willing bodies to push it through to the end.
    Just a small point here. But who is going to finance this "publication" ?

Hush now Hobart, this is no time for a reality check. I mean if real-world things like cost are going to be discussed then what of my radical plans to create a boards.ie spaceship. After all there are loads of shit spaceships out there all ready and at least with this one we could introduce boards.ie to Uranus.

After that I will introduce the boards.ie Formula 1 racing team, driven by myself and made out of icing sugar. It's a terrible unrealistic idea I know, but with boards backing me I can't fail.

Originally posted by Hobart
    Just a small point here. But who is going to finance this "publication" ?

well thats something that can be looked at if its worthwhile in to go ahead. Aleepally pointed out that it would be a good idea (and free!) to find out just what COULD go in, and who here in boards could help out with all angles of making it. If we were to find we had something print-worthy, we could start to look towards finance (where ever that may come from). If we find we have about 15 pages of OK stuff, then we can forget about it, and do so knowing its unrealistic because theres no content, and not just no money.

flogen

So, no content, no money and a questionable need for such a product to exist when boards itself is far superior to an offline version.

I'll shut up now as it's obvious this is a very large white animal with a very big nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

How about a boards.ie appendix type thing, to explain certain things. Like flogen for example, he definatly needs explaining.

:D

Magazine idea sounds redundant straight away, what are you going to have in it that couldn't be sought out here. Of course we could make Amp and flogen write the Drama section you pack of girls.

Strange that of all the people criticising this idea you should highlight me Giblet. Good lord, now you and I are now in a drama, should we get married now?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by amp
    Strange that of all the people criticising this idea you should highlight me Giblet. Good lord, now you and I are now in a drama, should we get married now?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You and flogen are arguing as usual, and you are the most vocal, of course I'm gonna pick on you.:o

I said flogen aswell, or did you ignore that.

Advertisement