Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Book/Annual/Mag

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

anyone want to drop the 'boards' from the 'start a magazine' idea?

i'm sure there's lots of peeps on boards who'd write crap for it.

Seriously, I'd love to design the next Stars on Sunday and watch it completely crash and burn. everyone would say we're just immitating the slate, but ya cant avoid that.

it costs money to put out a small, crap publication? I had one running back in college, monthly outgoings: 16 euro. and it wasn't printed in **** on the bathroom walls.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Originally posted by Giblet
    You and flogen are arguing as usual

Actually, I havent said a word to amp.
    He's given his opinion, and thats fair enough, the points he's made have already been addresses in some way. Anything else he's said has just been comments about me or sarcasm for the sake of pointing out his stance more than once, I dont see the point in responding to that. If he doesnt like the idea, then fair enough.

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by dangerman
    it costs money to put out a small, crap publication? I had one running back in college, monthly outgoings: 16 euro. and it wasn't printed in **** on the bathroom walls.
    2 Points:

1) Yea it costs money. It also costs time. I don't think alleepally or Flogen were reffering to a "small, crap publication" or a photcopied back to back flyer. The original suggestion, if you cared to look, was for a book/annual/mag.

2) Do you honestly believe that the people that have worked so hard to make this discussion board (one of?) the top discussion boards in Ireland/World would be happy to allow their name to be associated with a 5th/4th rate type publication such as a college flyer?

I work in the publication industry. I know the costs involved. I understand flogens and alleepally's enthusiasm. But come on! Reality check here==>..........REALITY CHECK

P.S. amp is a s**te driver. I've seen him in de'van

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by flogen
    Actually, I havent said a word to amp.
    He's given his opinion, and thats fair enough, the points he's made have already been addresses in some way. Anything else he's said has just been comments about me or sarcasm for the sake of pointing out his stance more than once, I dont see the point in responding to that. If he doesnt like the idea, then fair enough.

flogen

I have no personal problem with you flogen. Your daft ideas are the things I have problems with. Not that I don't see the humour value in observing two people with differing viewpoints and commenting that they must be romantically linked. I saw it several years ago, back when it was still mildly funny.

What would you advise Giblet? Should I keep my opinions to myself because it was flogen who said it? In fact why don't you just shut the fuck up and mind your own fucking business?

Dinner at 10 then? You're buying.

Originally posted by Hobart
    2 Points:

1) Yea it costs money. It also costs time. I don't think alleepally or Flogen were reffering to a "small, crap publication" or a photcopied back to back flyer. The original suggestion, if you cared to look, was for a book/annual/mag.

2) Do you honestly believe that the people that have worked so hard to make this discussion board (one of?) the top discussion boards in Ireland/World would be happy to allow their name to be associated with a 5th/4th rate type publication such as a college flyer?

I work in the publication industry. I know the costs involved. I understand flogens and alleepally's enthusiasm. But come on! Reality check here==>..........REALITY CHECK

P.S. amp is a s**te driver. I've seen him in de'van

um ok, the very first thing I said was: anyone want to drop the 'boards' from the 'start a magazine' idea?

- as in its obvious the idea is not popular with a lot of people here, so it doesn't sound like it has a chance with boards involved. Thats why i said the above, thus negating your second point there. I like boards, i wouldn't want to make something that would reflect poorly on it etc.

In terms of costs/5th rate college flyers, of course you're correct, but instead of thinking of reasons why something can't be done, i was just throwing out the point that something could be done cheaply. - if you start small, and i mean very small, then you can have fun doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by dangerman
    um ok, the very first thing I said was: anyone want to drop the 'boards' from the 'start a magazine' idea?

- as in its obvious the idea is not popular with a lot of people here, so it doesn't sound like it has a chance with boards involved. Thats why i said the above, thus negating your second point there. I like boards, i wouldn't want to make something that would reflect poorly on it etc.

In terms of costs/5th rate college flyers, of course you're correct, but instead of thinking of reasons why something can't be done, i was just throwing out the point that something could be done cheaply. - if you start small, and i mean very small, then you can have fun doing it.
    umm, OK. But then you go on to say that you are sure that there are loads of people form here who would write "crap" for it. Hence a boards "magazine" idea. Ok so your post may have been contradictory but you still went on to try and justify the idea with your question wrt "a small crap publication". Hence my quotation of this comment. And my points on that quotation. The fact that I ignored your initial views on the topic do not negate the questioning of the further points you raised on the same issue.

Originally posted by Hobart
    umm, OK. But then you go on to say that you are sure that there are loads of people form here who would write "crap" for it. Hence a boards "magazine" idea. Ok so your post may have been contradictory but you still went on to try and justify the idea with your question wrt "a small crap publication". Hence my quotation of this comment. And my points on that quotation. The fact that I ignored your initial views on the topic do not negate the questioning of the further points you raised on the same issue.

I don't think my post was contradictory, I was saying that there are people who could write for a magazine here, boards connected or not.

When I saw that the original boards book/annual/mag was being shot down, I said what I was thinking, which was fine, make an independent one. - One without boards connections.

I didn't disagree with what you said, I just noticed that your points didn't address my original statement, that is my post referred to dropping the 'boards' aspect of the publication, hence the 'umm ok.' As you said, you ignored it, which is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by amp

Dinner at 10 then? You're buying.

I'll get you a saucer of milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Dumb idea, TBH.

Even if we ignore the fact that physically printing and distributing something costs money, who’s going to put in a few hundred hours of their time publishing it?

For example, I’ve seen a number of Boards on WAP threads in the last two years where people are whining how you can only see the most recent thread titles on the Boards.ie WAP page and wouldn’t it be nice to be able to post and every thing else on WAP. As the chap who knocked up that original app together, I would like to suggest that those people kindly go fuck themselves rather than being so generous with other peoples’ time.

You see, Boards is full of people (including me) who are happy to put in a little bit of effort for the community, but after that we’re going to go back to the Real World™ where we earn a living, pay bills and swap bodily fluids with other carbon units.

So, everyone interested in such an idea, probably should get together over pints, discuss it, make a plan and then promptly forget about it because you while you’ll all have the ability to talk shite about it for hours, you won’t actually get off our arse to do anything constructive in the end.

If on the other hand you miraculously do achieve something tangible and need a little help bringing it to fruition, come back here and you might be taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Come on guys, don't get into a nit picking debate among each other.

It's good to read the reality check type posts and I guess that the best thing to do would be a pdf sample.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Giblet
    I'll get you a saucer of milk.

You'll never get into my panties with a menu like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I,m confused now . Should I start copyrighting my posts or not ?

©The Muppet

Good point, just because posts on boards are free to read doesn't mean they can be used without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I'd like a leather bound edition of "The Amp Compendium Vol I" please,
    I need a new coffee table book for my high society soiree's.

WTF
    a Print edition of a website?

Has the whole world gone crazy, not only is it a dumb idea, it seems to me that it'd be a legal quagmire wrt intellectual property

meltyclocksa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Originally posted by echomadman
    I'd like a leather bound edition of "The Amp Compendium Vol I" please,
    I need a new coffee table book for my high society soiree's.

WTF
    a Print edition of a website?

Has the whole world gone crazy, not only is it a dumb idea, it seems to me that it'd be a legal quagmire wrt intellectual property

There's a print edition of The Darwin Awards which sells well every year,

Advertisement