Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poe poe poe

Options
  • 12-07-2004 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

i bought a collection of edgar allen poe's short stories and poems..i must say i like it very much..not great to be reading in the dead of night and scaring the shyte out of myself..but very entertaining....im not exactly a black-clad morose goth but i do like the sinister morbidness of his tales... and of course i read the raven..

cora-8.jpg

this is one short essay which i thought was cool and hit the nail on head...called ''music''
    when music affects us to tears, seemingly causeless, we weep not, as gravina supposes, from 'excess of pleasure'; but through excess of an impatient, petulant sorrow that, as mere mortals, we are as yet in no condition to banquet upon these supernal ecstasies of which the music affords us merely a suggestive and indefinite glimpse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Is this the Penguin £1 ( 2 euros now ) classics collection? If so I also enjoyed the stories - the only classics I enjoy are the ones writen by men:p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

yeah its that one, with the freaky cover....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Poe was the man. I loved "The Pit and the Pendulum". I didn't read much of his poetry but I read all of his stories a long time ago. Time to get me a copy again methinks.

that story is especially chilling...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I love the tension and the atmosphere in that story. That's what I love about Poe, he sets the scene wonderfully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

Bizarre I borrowed that very book from my library only last week. I'm really enjoying it. I don't think I'm gothy . . . much, but I love the oh-so-quoteable quotes . . . to take the page i have just completed for example
    Oh, outcasts of all outcasts most abandoned! - to the earth art thou not forever dead? to it's honours, to it's flowers, to it's golden aspirations - and a cloud, dense, dismal and limitless, does it not lie eternally between thy hopes and heavan?

Does anyone have any theories on what illness possessed the Lady Usher? (Madeline I think was her name)

i think maybe schizophrenia?? those kind of illnesses werent recognised back then...but you never know..the women that poe writes about are usually very strange anyway.......

did you read the bio-bit at the start. he had an unusual life . . i'm thinking of getting a biography.

I've been wondering about the illness . . . It could be any number of more recently diagnosed illnesses . . . she could also have been a zombie. Or it could just be Poe-itis?

yeah, i read the bio, apparently some people think that his dark thoughts came from his fondness of absinthe....yeah i think maybe she could have been possessed when she was dying or something..it's really phucked up...

Yes indeedy. The madness is strong. I've been reading it on bus to and from work and was very dissapointed when I forgot it today. It's very good

• Advertisement

have you read the that story ''the man that was used up''?? ......one very strange story, not scary but just unusual , almost comical.ooh and ''the tell-tale heart'' man, that is scary...i just love the way he builds up the tension, and i can actually hear my hear beating faster and my palms getting cold...

Not got that far yet! I just finished William (whatever his name was) last night. THoroughly injoyed it. I loved that the antogonist 'Will' would always whisper. Very good touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

.ooh and ''the tell-tale heart'' man, that is scary...i just love the way he builds up the tension, and i can actually hear my hear beating faster and my palms getting cold...
    Ye but the Simpsons spoilt it:D, I just keep on seeing bart saying "Bartesque":ninja:

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I have a collrction of his Science Fiction, all brilliant, particular favourites being "The Unparalleled Adventure of One Hans Pfaall", "A Descent into the Maelstrom" and "The System of Dr Tarr and Prof. Fether".

Prediction of the future before the advent of airplanes are interesting, massive balloons rule the skies :) .

hmm sounds interesting..must try to get that sometime.

Advertisement