Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the most frightening thing.....

• 12-07-2004 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

what was your most frightening dream, that really disturbed/affected you ?? i dont mean the ones you had as children, i mean the ones you have now as adults/teenagers.....now, i tend to have generally phucked up dreams, and i blame this partly, on too much cheese on my toast before bed , and also due to my imagination.last week i had a dream that had me awake at 3'o clock in the morning in a cold sweat. it was so vivid and real that i was afraid to move.how pathetic.this has been occurring more frequently in the summer due to irregular sleeping habits.

anyway this is the jist of that particular freak-dream.
    i was on the grounds of a cathedral, it was very quiet and the carpark was full of cars as everyone was at mass. there was one man sitting in his car with the door open, and his head in his hands.the sky was dark with metallic clouds.this i found odd.i saw a girl approaching me , she was really pale and sickly looking.she had a styrofoam cup in her hand with what looked like coffee remains in the bottom. her eyes were wide and sinister.she slowly came closer and with her two spiny hands clasped my neck and next thing im being lifted into the sky, as im being slowly strangled, and i swear her face was the most phucking terrifying sight i have ever witnessed.i just woke up before she was able to totally crack my trachea.

where do such fecked up things come from?:dunno: :dunno:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

THE CHURCH!

city3.jpg

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

yeah..it could be repressed guilt for not attending mass:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Originally posted by mike65
    city3.jpg

Happiest. Priest. Ever.

Oh, and to answer your question, munkee, that priest is now the scariest thing to me... /me shivers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

hey munkee have a read of this thread

Farlz

just read it farlz, made me laugh out loud!! tis scary really ,what happens to you when you doze off.....:dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I don't think I've had more than one or two bad dreams in about 6 years.

for me its either that my dreams are so boring that they wouldnt be out of place as a coronation street episode, or they are ones that leave me pschyologically damaged.......never in between.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    i saw a girl approaching me , she was really pale and sickly looking.

Anything like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Hal1
    Anything like this

ah yes - I loved the "chorus" to that song which advertised the dates to gigs on MTV a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I rarely have a dream that i can remember....dealt with one or two OBE's a few years back, cant remember a whole pile now tho...strange stuff

I've a really strange thing when i sleep that if i HAVE to be up at a certain time...like say an appointment or something like that i'll automatically wake up before my alarm goes off....where as normally i can sleep 12/14 hours straight without a flinch!

Farlz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

this has been occurring more frequently in the summer due to irregular sleeping habits.
    yeah..it could be repressed guilt for not attending mass

I'm in the same situation as you atm, if i get any werid women choking me in my sleep i will let you know :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

and i blame this partly, on too much cheese on my toast before bed

Wow, that's amazing. I had the same problem.

I love cheese. But it got to the stage that I was getting so freaked out by mad dreams that I had to stop eating cheese after 6:00pm.

I'll eat some next week and share my dream with you. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

I never have terrifying nightmares that I remember, but I do have disagreeable dreams once in a while... ever dreamed you had already died and were conscious of having to leave somewhere soon? :(

i had a dream where for some reason i had to poison myself with cyanide.it was horrible because i could see myself going blind and i woke up just before my intestines exploded. i dont actually know what really happens to the body after cyanide poisoning though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

theres been a few, but i've learned to have some control over my dreams over the last few years.

had a go at interpreting your dream though.
    the cathederal represents an aspect of society and its values (aknowledging the spiritual self and it's place within this society)
    church is where you go to get spiritual nourishment..so to speak and suggests you are seeking guidance or enlightenment.
    as there is no one there only empty cars (cars are symbolic of the control we have of our lives.. as in to drive...) it suggests that you have little support in this area of seeking, (surrounded by empty vessels) with the exception of one car which has its "doors open". (willingness to learn)

but it seems he (who represents you) is not fulfilled either (hands to head) there is a sense of despair.
    the girl with the coffee who approaches represents some form of nourishment, albeit the sort of a quick fix (thin arms,seems unhealthy, under-nourished..shows the food is not very nutritious) and possibly the kind that you should steer clear of. (gives you a high, but not the long lasting kind of natural high you are seeking, rather..it provides a quick fix)

k..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

and the pioson one is very straighforward
    the poison signifies something which consumes you (pick an emotion-anger, anxiety, guilt, depression, love, etc.. ) to the point where it causes blindness (where you cannot see clearly how you are being affected by it)
    and as it affects the intestines, this points to the emotional turbulance this situation has brought about.

let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Not a bad dream per se....

Dreamt a beautiful girl was all over me and I was reluctantly pushing her away saying I had a girlfriend, but eventually succumbed to her, at which point I woke up with an awful guilty feeling which lasted almost all day. Usually the feeling after a dream only lasts a few seconds till you realise you are awake.

Have never cheated on my g/f btw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by mike65
    THE CHURCH!

city3.jpg

Mike.

I remember him! He was my form master in Terenure College c1980. He liked to get lads to sit on his lap. Made him very happy that did :D

what was your most frightening dream, that really disturbed/affected you ??

I had this dream again last night, and I seem to be having it quite frequently.

I am usually in some kind of hotel, nothing too remarkable.

I always end up getting into a lift, as you do in a hotel. This is where things start getting a bit freaky. The lift always can move both verticall and horizontally . In last nights dream, the lift was only big enough for one person, and it closely resembled a shower cubicle (complete with drain in the bottom).

The dream then continues in the lift with it moving up and across and never seeming to get to it's destination. That is when I wake up in a panic.

I use a lift every day at work (and a big one at that), so I don't think it is a fear of lifts (I am claustrophobic, though). And I do shower regularly (at least once a month :D ), so I don't know what's going on there.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Anyone ever have a dream which follows up from another dream ya had?

I had a dream once where there was some random country testing a nuclear bomb and my dad took me out to the edge of some cliff to watch the explosion thousands of miles off in the distance but i remembered something i had supposedly seen on tv that said not to look at it directly (like it was an eclipse) so we had to cover our eyes and as soon as the explosion happened i woke up and it turned out i had left the curtains open and it was about 11 so it was extremely bright.

Anyways i had another dream then a few months later where news came that sellafield was gettin hit later that evening and thered be a nuclear explosion so i was in kerry where i used to go with my family when i was a kid and the coffee shop there had been converted into a bomb shelter but we were too late and the explosion happened and i remembered what i had remembered in the other dream and was scared sh!tless to look at it directly and i remembered seeing the other explosion and then i woke up.

But usually i have really literal dreams, like if i got a lift to work i dream about getting a lift to work or something along those lines.

I love those lucid (not liquid) dreams where you're aware youre asleep but ya still arent quite awake so everything seems more real. I always get them when i fall asleep in the afternoons after workin real long shifts the night before

• Advertisement

hmm tom dunne ...i dont have a clue what your dream could mean.... you should ask keu,she/he seems to be quite the dream-translator....

yeah i seem to frequently visit the same ''made up places'' in my dreams..its like a sims village or something..i'd be dreaming and then i see someone/some place and im thinking to myself ''hey i've been here before''..its really freaky because then i going over what happened last time i was having that dream while dreaming..its so confusing.....esp. when i revisit a particularly bad ''dreamplace'' i get this horrible feeling of dread and im like ''wake up wake now,you dont want t o go through this again''.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I've been stabbed in my dreams, and could feel the blood gurgling in my lungs. I've shot my friends in dreams. My teeth seem to fall out a lot in dreams, and I've also pursued the Predator through the London underground. That was fun.

Smoke hash and those dreams tend to be supressed. Either that or you just can't remember them.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭snoopish

Originally posted by Farls

I've a really strange thing when i sleep that if i HAVE to be up at a certain time...like say an appointment or something like that i'll automatically wake up before my alarm goes off....where as normally i can sleep 12/14 hours straight without a flinch!

Farlz

nothing freaky about that.Thats just your subconscience kicking, happens to most people!

I only have disturbing dreams when i'm really upset and for a few years I used to cry a lot in my sleep and wake up with big scrawl marks on my face.But to be honest I think it's just a phase in your life that your going through, things obviously aren't all rosey when your conscience munkeehaven.Like you said sometimes your dreams are a boring as an episode of coronation street, these or more than likely experienced when life is just plodding along nicely for you.Concentrate on your life when your awake and your dreams will soon sort themselves out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    My teeth seem to fall out a lot in dreams,

This is related to fears about mother/fatherhood so I was once told by a psychologist friend of mine. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

I found the ring (japanese version) very scary

Originally posted by NoelRock
    This is related to fears about mother/fatherhood so I was once told by a psychologist friend of mine. :P

Strange. I was told it was related to money worries!?! Which would make alot more sense with me.... Ah well. Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What strange people you all are :D
    I rarely remember my dreams and the only one's I do are always just plain rediculous, so much so that on a number of ocasions I realised I was asleep and dreaming and told myself to wake up, which I did.
    The only scary type dream I've been woken up by in a long time (since I was a kid anyway) was one where I woke up in the middle of the night and walked out of my bedroom into the hall, I turned on the light and walked to the sitting room and looked in. Standing in the far side of the room was a alien, the grey kind with the black eyes and big head. I just stood there looking at him and it sent a shiver down my spine, which must have woken me up as it was still there when I did.
    Don't know what it means, I've never seen an alien and don't particularly care or worry about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭snoopish

heh...maybe it wasn't a dream:p

hmmm i was told that falling out teeth was a sign of sexual frustration..hmmmm:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

Funny, browsing through some book by Freud I read that falling teeth had to do with homosexuality :P ... (I will admit I have had that dream too, but I was too young for parenthood issues, and I do not happen to lean towards the homosexual side... cannot remember what my family's financial situation was back then.... :dunno: ) I suspect dreams have different meanings for different people...

.. i once had the most horrid dream about my teeth....i was just walking along and i began to feel my teeth becoming very loose....they were rocking and wibbling..it was disgusting...and they all fell simultaneously onto my tongue so i was chewing my teeth..uhh the sensation was just gross.....:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was a tram.

Ding, ding, ding!

Originally posted by Victor
    I was a tram.

Ding, ding, ding!
    It wasn't an overpriced, prone to the occasional de-railment, purple/silver tram, by any chance, was it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I once had a nightmare that Giggs had been sold to Leeds! The horror!

In another dream I was on DS9 fighting vampires coming through a Stargate. The ultimate crossover show!

After seeing Jurassic Park I had a dream where there was a T-Rex outside my house and it would eat me if it caught me outside. I had a similiar dream after seeing the Lost World.

I used to have lucid dreams every now and again, but haven't had one in about two years. I used to see really boring bits of the future. E.g.: About two weeks before I bought age of empires, I had a dream where there was 6 war galleys rounding a headland to try and shoot an elephant (it makes more sense if you've played) and 2 enemy ships came in to attack them. The first time I played the game, round about the sixth map I sent these 6 war galleys off exploring..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by tom dunne
    Wow, that's amazing. I had the same problem.

I love cheese. But it got to the stage that I was getting so freaked out by mad dreams that I had to stop eating cheese after 6:00pm.

I'll eat some next week and share my dream with you. :eek:

ditto. I had cheese on toast on Friday night before I went to bed. I'd been playing far cry for 2 hours before sleeping. I had nightmares all fecking night.

• Advertisement

SteveD's dream reminds me of one of the most screwed up dreams I had.

There was a nuclear war or something which killed everyone in Dublin. So I fled to the Wicklow hills. On the way out of Dublin were thousands of dead people but laid out in neat rows without a scratch on them.

I went into the hills and found a community of survivors But they did not acknowledge my presence. Eventually I found myself inside a wardrobe watching a couple in a bedroom f-ing.

Then the man in the couple stopped got up and opened the wardrobe. Then my viewpoint in the dream changes. I'm watching a huge fly or moth coming out of the wardrobe - which I knew in the dream was me - and the man tries to kill it/me. I woke up where the me-insect inflicts a fatal bite on the man trying to kill him.

I think the next scene was going to be "huge insect raping woman"?

Beat that :D

Originally posted by pork99
    Beat that :D

Oh well it appears nobody can "beat that"

I declare myself the winner of this thread and demand a special hat or something and claim the use of the title "Ultra-Freak"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by tom dunne
    It wasn't an overpriced, prone to the occasional de-railment, purple/silver tram, by any chance, was it? :D
    I don't know, I couldn't see myself.

I woke up from the dream I mentioned above with an profound feeling of horror and existential dread.

However even more frightening - last night I dreamt I was in a pub in England with a couple of mates. I went to the bar and ordered a round. I noticed the had given me half-pints and I had to request that they took them back and give me full pints instead.

I woke up this morning with a profound feeling of vague boredom and a slightly numb feeling in my left leg.

• Advertisement
Advertisement