Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Network - No Internet

• 12-07-2004 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hey,

Got the Belkin F5D7630 wireless router, and have to admit its great and was very easy to set up. However have noticed a glitch but it seems to be with my network card which is an SMC (802.11b - cant find model no. atm) - when i have Windows started and insert the card - it connects to the router and the two small computers in the system tray show the connection and signal strength to be excellent. However the software I installed with the card seems to show no connection on the card. When i open a browser it wont connect to the INternet. If I restart the computer with the card in it it connects no problem and I have internet access, both the XP system icon (the twoi computers) and my SMC software say I am connected.

I realise it must be a simple setting - I am nearly sure on installing the card i turned off XP to scan for wireless signals and to allow the SMC software to scan it. I tried to search for where this option is but I cant find it. I looked on a different laptop, also running XP, and its there. Has anyone any idea why this happens or how to make sure this option is off??

Thanks in advance,

Dec :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Also in relation to my router - there is one PC cabled and two laptops connected using wireless cards - is it possible for a laptop to access files on the cabled PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

to answer your second question first

if all the devices, wired & wireless are on the
    same subnet,
    ie - have the same ip address
    apart from the last digit
    123.456.789.x

then they should be able to connect to each other

Otherwise you might be able to connect one way and not the other.
    This can be overcome to an extent by writing
    or reading files from the pc that can see through.

The first problem is more general

For starters

First off what happens when you type

ipconfig /all

at the command prompt.

and can you ping the gateway ip address
    that is specified in the ipconfig output.

yeh the Ip address are 2, 3, 4 -> but when I am on the laptop I cant see any of the other two computers! Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places? Trying My network places - it doesnt even show the name of the network? To I need to set up a domain and join all computers to the domain?

As for the other problem - yeh ipconfig shows the IP address - even allows release and renew. Its not a big issue - once i have the wireless card in the laptop before I turn it on it allows Internet access! Just a strange one!

right

When you say 'see' what do you mean ?

if you type \\x.x.x.2
    in the run prompt what happens ?
    for each of the PCs? 2,3,4

Can you ping each of the PCs from the others ?

Can you ping the gateway ip address as specified

in ifconfig on any/all of the computers ?

Sorry should have being a little more informative!

All computers can ping each other and the gateway so the are communicating with each other. However to transfer files from say the house computer to my laptop is where i am having problems. Normally if i was doing this i would map a network drive and browse for the house computer - this is what i cant see. Under networks - none of the other computers are listed but saying that my laptop is not on any domain or do i even need to set up a domain?

Sorry - just used run and the Ip address and it pops up with a password box. It only allows log on in guest and i have guest accounts disabled - presumably this is the issue?

• Advertisement

easiest thing is to put all the PCs on the same domain

can be set by right clicking on My Computer usually

Yeh cool - i thought as much (just wasnt too sure)

Thanks for all your help!

:cool:

Advertisement