Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware starf**k (Possible dodgy software installed with your game)

Options
  • 12-07-2004 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Err, Starforce....
    http://www.gonegold.com/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007806
    http://www.gonegold.com/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=017575

Basically, malware, but given to you from games...
    Here's the lowdown:
    * Starforce is an extremely aggressive method of copy protection that actually works at the hardware level of your PC.

* It installs device drivers WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE or CONSENT.

* these device drivers are HIDDEN from normal view. They can be displayed by opening Device Manager, and clicking on "View" and then on "Show Hidden Devices"

* Even DEMOS install Starforce! as if there could be ANY possible reason for copy protecting a DEMO.

* Removal of the full game or demo that installed the drivers DOES NOT REMOVE THE STARFORCE DEVICE DRIVERS.

* important: manual removal of the device drivers can result in severe system problems.
    * as far as I know, there is NO MENTION of the Starforce drivers in the EULA's of games that use it. If anyone knows different, please let us know.

So we've gone from sopy protection that doesn't allow you to play your games to stuff that f**ks up your computer....joy....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Dirty filthy bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Absolutely disgusting

http://www.boycottstarforce.org/

that site is still under construction atm - think they are reviewing legal implications before they post all their info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Crap too late. Installed with the chaos league demo. This is taking it too far. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

What do they do to your system? Bork it up if you use pirate version or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Seems to bork up your system if you try and remove it.

List of starforced games here: http://home.insightbb.com/~gime/modules.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Theyve some cheek, intalling potentially dangerous software in your system without forewarning you. It'd be like installing a time bomb in a car, so if it gets stolen, it blows up and kills the thief. Now i know youd want justice on someone who nicked your car, but blowing them up would be a tad over the line. And in alot of cases its be like the timebomb blowing up the owner of the vehicle just for trying to remove the damn thing!

Down with this sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

****, I have broken sword 3 installed, apparently that uses this ****ty system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Bloody hell i have X2 here and had it installed for ages, wonder was that what was fooking up my machine

If its is then theres legal implications involved

This really is not on

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

UFO: AFtermath had/has it. Totally borked my system when I uninstalled the game a few months back. I had been wondering just what had caused that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

any actual info on this?

http://www.star-force.com/ appears to be the official site for the product, but can't find much info about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

IS that list frequently updated? Because frankly I'm going to outright refuse to purchase any game that uses this system. [Even HL2/Doom3 if thats the route they choose...]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by shinzon
    Bloody hell i have X2 here and had it installed for ages, wonder was that what was fooking up my machine

If its is then theres legal implications involved

This really is not on

Shin

Me too :(

Apparently jsut having Starf***up installed can seriously compromise your system leading to instability and system crashed. Lots of people have reported issues with CDRWs and DVDRoms - in both reading and burning cd's. Some drives refuse to read any discs at all. Some of the software refuses to install if you have any disc copying software such as Nero installed also.

If you want to remove the software (not automatic with the game removal) you can b0rk your system completely. I think the removal tool on that boycottstarforce page will get rid of it without the complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

I think the removal tool on that boycottstarforce page will get rid of it without the complications.

Ya. Tryed it last night. Seems to have removed the drivers alright. Ill wait and see if theres any instability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Fcuk me!

From the starforce website.

The StarForce Protection Shell generates a hash encrypted and condensed "Hardware Code", (amongst other parameters a very unique signature to identify the end users unique PC hardware, system, and software-configuration and its changes).

The end user forwards the Serial Number and Hardware Code to the StarForce ProActive Server by either a fully automated and secure Internet connection, or manually via email, phone or fax.

From the GoneGold website linked in the first post:
    "I looked at the error report from Starforce 3 and it contained a list over all running programmes, a list of every application/game/whatever I have installed on my computer including ALL items from the "start/programs" menu, and some other details I did'nt want to send off - and which would'nt be of interest for troubleshooting anyway." -- Alexander B.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah i noticed that codename panzers installed SCSI drivers after the game installed and i had to reboot, like WTF....:mad:

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Stephen

It says it's Region: US

Run this and let me know if it turns anything up for the European version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Arthur Krupp
    * these device drivers are HIDDEN from normal view. They can be displayed by opening Device Manager, and clicking on "View" and then on "Show Hidden Devices"
    Any idea what they're called?
    Just incase it's not something obvious like "Starforce malware device" ;)

Down with starforce the cheeky bastagers.

Its StarForce <Something>, I think the name will dpeend on the version being used by the publisher, but it should always begin with Starforce...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

for XP pro , roughly the same for other os's

right click "my computer"
    click "properties"
    click "hardware"
    click "device manager"
    click "view"
    click "show hidden devices"
    click "non plug and play drivers "
    check under "s"

bingo! 3 of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Any idea what they're called? Just incase it's not something obvious like "Starforce malware device" Down with starforce the cheeky bastagers.

got this off that gone gold page. Should be all the names ya looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jetpilot

3 of em here, and I dont even have any of the games on that list!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

thats pretty fúcked up tbh...

thanks jonski, btw, couldnt figure out where my device manager was!!
    thankfully theres no sign of the drivers on my PC.... will be vigilant in future too

flogen

Jetpilot, that list isn't up to date and comprehensive. There's lots more that aren't know about/have come out since. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

If you want to remove the software (not automatic with the game removal) you can b0rk your system completely. I think the removal tool on that boycottstarforce page will get rid of it without the complications.

Ah damn; i went through the manual way of getting rid of it both in the registry and system files. Didn't know there was a tool:rolleyes:

Well no problems here after that little operation; and i think its gone i've no reason to believe otherwise.

That starforce crap left stuff littered all over the place; especially in the registry.. :mad:

Talk about blatantly modifying a system without permission :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I'm really pissed off about this.

I have two of those games. One of them was a DEMO. bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'm going to sticky this for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Stephen

contacted a few friends with the PC version (one english guy and a new zealander) and neither found starforce drivers, so it seems to be the US version of BS3 only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Originally posted by LoBo
    any actual info on this?

http://www.star-force.com/ appears to be the official site for the product, but can't find much info about it...
    I just imagined, when seeing the picture on the right in the site, the guy in the middle going "starforce f*cked up my computer!!!" and the other guys laughing their asses off.

Advertisement