Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish have more trust in EU than in Govt

Options
  • 13-07-2004 12:38am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Irish people have more trust in the EU than the Irish Government, according to an opinion poll published today by Eurobarometer.

56% of Irish respondents to the poll said they trusted the EU, up from 53% in the second half of 2003.

Just 39% said they trusted the Irish Government, while just 40% said they trusted the Dáil.

Elsewhere, the poll also found that a majority of Irish people supported the recent enlargement of the EU to 25 member states, but most were also opposed to further expansion.

A majority of respondents also said they supported the proposed EU constitution.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/07/12/story156665.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Dub13
    A majority of respondents also said they supported the proposed EU constitution.
    I'd love to know how many of them have read even an abstract, never mind the full document. (I haven't.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

a hundred people were asked if they could pick the eu constution out of line up

0 out of a hundred 100 could!
    neeenaawww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

Perplexing state of affairs...that what the could not be taken from Europeans by force, will be given away without so much as a thought.
    Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you. - Ben Franklin

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by BattleBoar
    Perplexing state of affairs...that what the could not be taken from Europeans by force, will be given away without so much as a thought.
    Frog, boiling water.
    Which isn't to say that you're right about the Constitution if you're saying what I think you're saying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Irish people have more trust in the EU than the Irish Government
    Considering that the average Irish person only knows as much about the EU as was publicised during the election (almost nothing - it was fought entirely on local issues), they know little enough to be able to ignore the issue properly.

• Advertisement

Considering that the average Irish person only knows as much about the EU as was publicised during the election (almost nothing - it was fought entirely on local issues), they know little enough to be able to ignore the issue properly.

considering the way past governments have handled this country of ours, are you really suprised that they have more faith in the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

considering the way past governments have handled this country of ours, are you really suprised that they have more faith in the EU?

I think i have to agree with that; a lot of talk followed by botched attempts... It would be nice if something actually gets done properly:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

It's interesting considering the Nice fiasco and us having to be "re-educated" (to quote Harney) to decide it again.

However, as I drive on the motorways and watch the Luas go by as Ireland has become European country with low taxes (relatively to a lot of the big EU countries) you can't help but admit that it's all good.

I found it ironic that one of the candidates for the local elections was flogging the "Let's make the EU work FOR us, not the other way around" (I think it was that lawyer with the blonde hair) seeing as the EU has given us **** loads of money for very little in return.

Then again, Ireland has the population of a medium EU city so it can't be that hard to impress with a little cash flow here and there......

its the fact that they know more about the government and less about the eu that we distrust the gov more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Dancing duck

When you've had the likes of Ray Burke as your gardener, the grass has to be greener on the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

It's important to remember that the "EU" is not one single institution. Nor are the people in various positions of power within the EU always the same persons. It's easy to forget this sometimes listening to the anti-EU politicians rabbiting on about "threats from the EU".

The EU is 25 governments who comprise the Council of Ministers, as well as 25 persons who constitute the EU Commission, as well as those comprising the Executive Board and Governing Council of the ECB, not to forget the judges on the European Court of Justice.

So if someone was saying they "distrust the EU", they are forgetting the above, unless they mean that they distrust each and all of the above.

I personally trust pretty much all of the EU's institutions, especially considering that no matter how many other countries call on Ireland to accept harmonised EU taxes, it still can't happen without our approval, since taxation is a policy area covered by a requirement of unanimity, as are defence and social-security - and this remains under the EU Constitution.

well thats true about the many different groups but thas simplification for ya....

the same could be said for the irish government being of many parts....

there is probably even orgs not part of the eu proper which operate from brussels or strassbourg which has become "europe"....

the thing with ireland not being uptodate with eu drectives again seems ireland is to the forefront of economic reforms in europe but illegally dragging behind on environmental issues surprising eh

what ya think of the article 133 committee arcade:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Well chewy, as much as I wish that article 133 of the Nice Treaty meant privatisation en masse, it clearly doesn't. That is only ONE interpretation of it. "uniformity in certain matters of liberalisation" does not mean privatising EVERYTHING, or even "nearly everything". Note the word "certain". Notice the absence of the word "all". Where do you stand on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

So the Irish people like the EU more than the government, and tell me who just spent 6 months as president of the EU and what does he normally do????

Advertisement