Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre pressure change on after-market wheels?

Options
  • 13-07-2004 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    2 questions here: -

1. Does the correct tyre pressure for a given car change when bigger wheels & lower profile tyres are fitted? (I thought it does slightly???)

2. If this is the case, is there anywhere or any way you can find out the correct pressure for new size wheels & tyres on given a car?

Thanks,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I'd assume that you could ask the shop that you are buying them from what the correct pressures for your tyres should be.

A word of warning, have your speedometer and odometer re-calibrated after changing your tyres because it will affect the mileage displayed on the odometer if your going to a lower profile tyre.

My brother never bothered to get this done when he changed his, and now, by doing the exact same journey in 3 different cars (2 had factory tyres) we discovered for every 80 miles he does it adds an extra one onto the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Depends on type of car, tyre, weight, road travelled and importantly speed. too high will cause a blow out. I'm running Bridgestones 205/55/16 @ 32 and they're fine. tried 28 but found they heated up when doing 85 - 120mph on motorway and also could feel the back end coming out. So im back to 32 PSi and they're fine. Tyres are the only thing between you and the road so make sure you've plenty of thread (at least 4mm) before you do any testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Thanks lads.

@ Pimp ninja - Yeah I'm aware of the change in rolling radius, cheers. Also, your take off from the lights is killed with bigger wheels too :)

@HashSlinging - Yeah I've heard of the factors involved, I was just wondering is there a way of calculating the pressure, having obtained all the necessary information car type/car weight/tyre type/tyre size etc.

Also, do tyre pressures vary dramatically on road cars, or do they keep within a certain range at least?

Cheers,

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Originally posted by Pimp Ninja
    I'd assume that you could ask the shop that you are buying them from what the correct pressures for your tyres should be.

A word of warning, have your speedometer and odometer re-calibrated after changing your tyres because it will affect the mileage displayed on the odometer if your going to a lower profile tyre.

My brother never bothered to get this done when he changed his, and now, by doing the exact same journey in 3 different cars (2 had factory tyres) we discovered for every 80 miles he does it adds an extra one onto the clock.

I'm upgrading from 14" with 180/60/14 to 17" 205/40/17 ... Should I have my speedo re-calibrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Personally I wouldn't bother, just be aware of the difference when driving, use this to work out the difference: -

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

It would probably cost a good few quid too!

DC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement