Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norn Ire - Why Not Let 'em At Each Other?

Options
  • 13-07-2004 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Well I was watching the news last night as the poor British Army and PSNI workers were brutally attacked by two gangs of white trailer trash (aka loyalists & republicans).

Then a thought hit me - wouldn't it be better entertainment if we let the two mobs attack each other? And maybe if they get all that anger out of their system they might realise that they actually have to get on with each other (eventually).

Also lets face it - its a massive waste of tax payers money having all that army and police force refeeing the two sides.

Finally maybe the two mobs would eventually cop that the rest of the world really thinks they are a laughing stock.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Letting them at each other did not work in 1969 when it ws last tried....although the police joined in with the loyalists that time.

We should give them free tickets to Celtic Rangers matches and then let them at each other over there. Declare a No Go zone for security forces in Govan and herd in the Norn mob to finish the biz.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't think that would solve anything, I think Gerry Kelly and other Nationlist politicans were very brave last night in preventing the young mob from getting to the loyalist area, it shows us that the SDLP and SF really do want peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

'Give them grape and plenty of it'

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

I suppose Gerry Kelly will be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize now!

Originally posted by Peter C
    I suppose Gerry Kelly will be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize now!

LOL, I was simply pointing out that he helped stop what could have been a very violent incident, credit where its due.

• Advertisement

From what was said on the radio this morning and also the picture on the front of the Irish Times, these thugs did not listen to Gerry Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

it would make great Tv think of the Ratings! Put a bunch of hardcore Republicans and Orange Men in the Big Brother house and watch the evictions! :D

Originally posted by Peter C
    From what was said on the radio this morning and also the picture on the front of the Irish Times, these thugs did not listen to Gerry Kelly.

Well RTE's NI correspondent Tommy Gorman was on Morning Ireland on RTE Radio1 this morning and he said it was Gerry Kelly and others who stopped the Nationalist mob from going to the loyalist area, they weren't able to stop them from fighting with the PSNI and the army but they did prevent the mob from going into Loyalist areas to fight with Unionists. Oh and he was actually there!:)

These thugs were out to maim who ever they came across, be it PSNI, British Army personel or loyalists. These layabouts have nothing else better to do and are always looking for an excuse to cause mayhem. 25 PSNI were injured by these SF/IRA scum.

I am sure there are other ways of protesting besides attacking the security forces who were there to protect both communities from each other. If the security foreces were not there, I am sure SF/IRA would have found complained about that too. These people are never happy with what the PSNI do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Well I suppose when the parades commission was ignored, what chance did Gerry Kelly have

• Advertisement

Most of these thugs will use any excuse to cause trouble. Both sides were out to cause trouble judging by the missles thrown and used on the PSRI/Army as shown on todays front page of the Irish Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

these marches are lame, I dont understand the point of them, theyre like children all of them. losers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by Batbat
    these marches are lame, I dont understand the point of them, theyre like children all of them. losers
    Yeah, I've thought the same thing myself. But apparently, people actually enjoy St.Paddys day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

the people in the north dont seem to enjoy the marches, they seem angry and upset about something

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

the people in the north dont seem to enjoy the marches, they seem angry and upset about something
    The ones on the march seemed fine, the ones watching the march early on seemed fine, it was the drunken louts at the end seemed to be upset. Oddly enough, we get the same deal with Paddy's day, it's just that rather than attack each other, our lot make a mess of Grafton St and throw up along the quays....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The point of the march is pretty simple. In the case of the loyalist marches, remind them that they're living in a protestant state for a protestant people. Or at least that's probably the idea, regardless of the "tradition" excuse that lends itself to good jokes about marching through ladies' loos.

Do Taigs march (outside of the civil rights marches in the sixties (man))?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Im not a sinn fein supporter but i applaud Gerry kelly`s bravery and commitment last night he even shielded members of the police force from attacks by nationalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

it would make great Tv think of the Ratings! Put a bunch of hardcore Republicans and Orange Men in the Big Brother house and watch the evictions!
    think your onto something there, hope someone from RTE is paying attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Irish04

The Fact is here is

The Parades commission said that the Orange Order supporters should not be allowed to travel up this majority nationalist road however as usual the Sectarian police force of the RUC/PSNI have shown the world nothing has changed and the 6 counties are run by Sectarians in.

Peter C, You are quite a sad individual. All your "Contributions" to this thread have been childish and non-sensical. You base your argument in your last post on what is shown on the front of a newspaper making you incrediby naive or incredibly stupid, you choose. You also Slate the nationalist community and say "25 PSNI were injured by these SF/IRA scum." I did not see any Volunteers from the IRA out nor did i see any members of Sinn Féin causing trouble. In fact, the Oppisite happened. The only Gunmen on show last night were the armed, sectarian police force and British Army along with their counterparts in the UFF/UDA which put on what they described as a show of strength. I saw no Oglaigh ná hÉireann show of strength. what i did see however was the most Senior North Belfast Sinn Féin man try to calm the crowd and prevent violence.

I would also like to ask the question, Why do we never see violence at Volunteer commemoration marches? Well the simple answer is these marches are not deliberatly planned to run through unionist or loyalist areas. The Orange Order (OO) on the other hand plan their marches through nationalist areas when there are other routes that will not provoke people. However the OO, always the sectarian bigots they are too dam thick to do this. They want an excuse for violence for reasons unknown. Also, the OO for people who will try and claim it is not sectarian do not allow catholics to join. They are a disgrace and up there with the Ku Klux Klan et al.

Your sure the nationalist community do not enjoy watching sectarians marching with UFF and UVF flags flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Irish04
    I saw no Oglaigh ná hÉireann show of strength.
    That's hardly surprising. What on earth would the Irish Army have been doing there? :confused:

• Advertisement

exactly, the IRA had no need what so-ever to be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Originally posted by Muck

We should give them free tickets to Celtic Rangers matches and then let them at each other over there. Declare a No Go zone for security forces in Govan and herd in the Norn mob to finish the biz.

M

For the record Celtic fans havnt been involved in trouble for years.
    What any of this has to do with the thread though is beyond me...............maybe you can explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭NinjaBart

sporting contests are a convenient expression of identity based pride and rivalries in many contexts and far easier to cmprhend or comment on than the actual issues behind a conflict. alas it isnt the first or last time that we'll see celtic/rangers used for worthless comments by commentators who havent the ability to comment intelligently upon the northern sitatuion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by AmenToThat
    What any of this has to do with the thread though is beyond me...............maybe you can explain?

The Celtic shirt on one of the rioters backs on the front of the Irish times today brought it Immediately to mind . Was he a proddy provocateur who snuck into the Ardoyne or wha' ?

twelfth130704home,0.jpg

....except in Belfast :D , same with the other shower. Off to Govan with them all but make sure the security forces are around them not between them.

Ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Is it me or does RTE's NI correspondent Tommy Gorman speak real slow and in short sentences to make it easier for us down south to understand that mess in belfast?

Poor British Soldiers, I wouldnt like to have to do that ugly job :ninja:

I think Celtic (and rangers) supporters are bigots and Celtic shirts should be banned from football match down south.

Yes, your quite sad

"Poor British Soldiers"

Are these the same "poor british soldiers" as the ones who murder people daily in Iraq and use to do the same daily in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by AmenToThat
    for the record your wrong... in April -> Celtic had to pay Kilmarnock for damage to seating done by Celtic supporters during the 1-0 win....

but this have nothing to do with celtic/rangers or any other football team... if they where all wearing Antrim tops - is the gaa to blame them??

anyway the cause of the rioting as many of you have missed was the 'Loyalist supporters' followed the orangeman up the road <into a catholic area>. The police were caught at the end .. hence the rioting... but sure the media in the north/other only reports when the Nationalist/Republicans side cause trouble.. :rolleyes:

Also if the Hibernians/Nationalists/Republicans where to walk down Loyalist areas on St. Patricks day - would there not be the same response?? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    for the record your wrong... in April -> Celtic had to pay Kilmarnock for damage to seating done by Celtic supporters during the 1-0 win....

For the record Celtic fans were
    awarded world football's 2003 Fair Play Award for the "exemplary fair and cordial conduct"

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/3313371.stm

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Oh lets not get into the Celtic arse kissing here.

Marches by either tradiotion in NI are just an excuse for the certian elements in society to get out and cause trouble, that's the way it is and that's the way it always will be, both are equally scum if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I find it quite hard to understand how posters in here immediately harp on about Sinn Fein/Republicans/IRA etc. Do ye even listen to yourselves and consider what happened?

For all the anti-republicanism in here surely the facts must be addressed. The only way we can move forward in Northern Ireland is by addressing simple questions like why did the PSNI/RUC overule the decision of the Parades Commission?

Advertisement