Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Tinge on new TV/DVD

Options
  • 13-07-2004 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi guys,

Hoping someone here will help!

I have just purchased and set up a new Sony 32" TV and Sony Home cinema (DAV-sa30).

I have connected the DVD to the TV via SCART to one of the TV's RGB SCART sockets (its actually labelled "DVD"), and all seemed well.

However, the DVD player claims to output RGB, so I entered the DVD player settings and switched it from VIDEO to RGB. However when I do this the TV picture has a noticeable "green tinge".

I was lead to believe that RGB is better than VIDEO? Am I right?
    What might be causing this Green Tinge? I tried a different SCART lead and the other SCART inputs on the TV - same result unfortunately... :(

I'd appreciate any helpful ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is it just a slight tinge or is the picture heavily tinted with green. Would you say that one or more of the colours was missing?

For Example:

Missing Red would give a picture with a CYAN (Blue/Green) tint.
    Missing Green = Magenta (Red/Blue)
    Missing Blue = Yellow (Green/Red)

Is the picture too Dark or too bright.?
    Can you see flyback lines (thin horizontal bright lines)?
    Does this help you give a better description of the problem

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I would say ZENER's pretty much on the money with his missing colour theory. However, one thing you said made me think. You said you tried on the other scart inputs on the TV with the same result. What is the exact model of your TV?

If it has 3 scarts, usually 2 of them are RGB enabled, and it appears you have tried both of them. But then at the end you say you have tried the other scarts, does that include the non´RGB one? (if there is one on the TV).

My best guess would be the player is faulty. Can you try using RGB on another TV set?

Robbie

Yeah I was going to ask that too but I had to look up some info on the different variants of the modern SCART. My thinking was that the DVD was putting Component out onto the SCART lead and he had this connected to an RGB input.

With a luminance signal where a Green should be he would possibly drive green OK but the chroma only on R and B would not be enough to drive those so the result would be a predominantly green picture !! Does that make sense to anyone else besides me ??:confused:

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

That model Sony only puts out RGB or Composite over Scart, I'm sure of that. I must experiment with a DVD outputting Component over Scart into RGB and see what happens. I guess it could cause some gooey stuff on screen.

As for the rest of your post about the luminences and things......em.......:D.........i'd say green aliens has taken over his DVD player.....!!!

Yeah, I'm with you, it makes sense alright. Most likely the DVD player is not putting out what its supposed to on that green pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

not sure bout this but could it be a scart lead problem? like a dodgy or a cheap lead? did you try a different lead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joeL

Thanks guys for all your help,

Well I tried fiddling with it again last night, but still no joy. I even bought a new SCART lead on the way home in Curry's but got the same end result!

Actually, ZENER, your description sounds like it could be it. I would say the colour could be described as CYAN (Blue/Green) tint - i.e. missing RED. The picture does appear to darken, yes. No, I can't say that I see any horizontal bright lines. The problem occurs as soon as I enable RGB mode on the player - the menus, splash screen, etc, suddenly go from bright blue to a dark greeny colour!

The TV is a brand new model by Sony (KV32CS70B), it replaces the KV32FX68 model. Yes, it has 3 SCART inputs and 2 of them are RGB enabled. I've tried the Player on all 3 SCARTS and same problem! Well, actually it doesn't crop up on the non-RGB SCART input - switching the player to RGB mode makes no difference on this SCART.

Unfortunately, I've got no other equipment conveniently available to Test it, so that I could at least isolate the problem to the TV or to the player. I do suspect it is the player at fault though.

Other than this problem, the set up is perfect, so its very irritating! I'm gonna call into the Sony Centre today and see what they say...

It could also be a bit of confusion in terms. Component may have been mistakingly branded as RGB in the menu, is there a further menu option to select between RGB/Component anywhere?

Clutching at straws now I guess - can you borrow a DVD player from a Mate or do you have a games comsole with RGB outs, theis test might help pinpoint the suspect device !

ZEN

Hi ZENER,
    The menu item in the settings is called "LINE".
    This setting has two options - VIDEO (which seems to be default) and RGB.

The manual does not go into much detail on which is the optimal setting but I assume (rightly?) that I should select RGB for best picture quality on a new TV?

The picture looks as you would expect on the VIDEO setting, but when I select RGB, the screen blanks for a second, then reappears with the greeny look. Although I think the TEXT on the screen menus looks a bit clearer on RGB - just in Green!

I've researched the problem on other sites/Google, some people suggest ensuring the SCART is properly connected - I've tried that and its definitely connected properly. Other people complain of seeing Green tinge while watching a DVD - but my problem is there even when no DVD is playing (i.e. the menus/splash screen).

I could borrow a DVD player from a mate/parents if all else fails - but you know yourself, hassle and all that... I do have a Playstation connected directly to the DVD player and that seems to work (I have it connected using the standard playstation cable, with the 3 phono jacks (black, red, yellow) into the VIDEO1 Input sockets.

I'll see what Sony Centre tell me at lunch time...

However, the DVD player claims to output RGB, so I entered the DVD player settings and switched it from VIDEO to RGB. However when I do this the TV picture has a noticeable "green tinge".

I've just copped this !! Did you select an AV input on the TV that can show RGB these may be labelled AV E1 E2 E3 etc. Try the different AV ins on the TV's menu and see if that gets you anywhere.
    I'll see what Sony Centre tell me at lunch time...

Reply: "Er . . can I interest you in an extended warranty !?":D

ZEN

Zen,

Not quite sure if I follow what you are saying... but something rings a bell!

I went through all the menu items on the TV a few times and I do remember one of them was for setting "AV" something or other and there was the option to set it to AV1, AV2, AV3, etc, etc...
    But the manual said this setting is to do with Recording or something like that - it didn't say anything about RGB input... I'll need to double check that and try changing the setting.

As for the Sony Centre - ya, I know what you mean about the Errrrrr....! I've experienced that before at car dealers many times!

• Advertisement

Well, went into Sony Centre there at lunch time. Of course the sales guy didn't really know what I was on about, but eventually let me test the one in the Shop on display - and guess what, it does exactly the same thing!

So now I don't know is it supposed to do that or what! The guy in the shop is to get back to me tomorrow, after he talks to a tech...

I think I might have your answer !! Did a bit of diggin' in Google and several people have had the same problem and all resolved it the same way !!

Make sure the SCART lead is pushed fully into the TV's SCART socket, it's a bit stiff but should go in a little more thus making a better connection . Better still watch the picture, while doing this, for any changes.

This appears to be a common problem ! Some SCART leads are poorly assembled leaving too much of the metal shield inside the black plastic housing of the plug - compare both ends - are they different ?

ZEN

Hi Zen,

Ya, I have dug around the web myself and I too saw people suggest making sure the SCART is properly connected.

I tried that last night anyway, and it didn't seem to make any difference. I'll have a closer look at the SCART cable tonight and try again, also I will try the TV menu to see if I need to "enable" RGB input or something similar...

Just an FYI

After several phone calls and experiments with cables/DVD players, I had my new Sony TV replaced yesterday, only to find that the replacement has exactly the same problem. Every DVD player I connected to the TV gives a greenish tinge when using RGB SCART input.

Sony Centre have just contacted me to let me know that Sony themselves have now recognised this as an actual software problem which is affecting this particular model, right across the board.
    Apparently, I was the first person in Europe to report this "bug"! Surely thousands of this particular model TV have been sold in the last few weeks - with many customers probably not aware of any fault.

I am told Sony are working on a fix, which will involve some kind of software upgrade on the TV. Worst case scenario is a full product recall.

So, anyone considering this new model Sony TV (KV32CS70), please beware!! Try a DVD player on it first!

Has anyone heard of this happen before? And how long do these fixes normally take to get done?!

This experience has seriously put me off the Sony brand, which I had percieved to be a quality one. I still have a 15-year old fault free 21" Sony in the bedroom, which this new "fancy Dan" TV replaced - I'm sorry I bothered now!

Advertisement