Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admin section via mobile

Options
  • 13-07-2004 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

I have virtually no experience of using the web on a mobile phone but at the moment I'm looking into the possibility of having an admin section of a site available through a mobile device.
    Just wondering if anyone's done anything similar or could point me in the general direction. I've looked briefly at what's involved in creating a standard WAP site and if this is the way to go, what's involved in basically securing the admin section.
    Is htaccess an option?

Details would be that the site would hopefully be PHP connecting to a MySQL database and the mobile updates would be simple short messages being added to the DB.

Any held would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

This is not exactly what you are looking for but might interest you.

Ive just been developing a system for a client and his customers to update his site/database... via sms.
    Not finished yet but looks like it will be quite useful.

What exactly do you want to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

Thanks for the reply.

I was really looking at the idea of a very simple form updating a mysql table. The security is the main issue for me (i.e. that it will be a password protected page).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

We’ve just completed this using WAP for a tier-2 mobile operator here in Ireland. One of the principle requirements was that much of the data would have to be entered by disparate sources often away from any PC.

Originally we had considered using SMS, but dropped this as it would have been far too limiting and ultimately unusable. With WAP however, you have to be up to speed with not only WML but also the various idiosyncrasies of the various devices and operator Gateways.

Security is another issue to consider carefully (I suggest via MSISDN and minimum of one other identifier). I do not recommend the use of basic authentication as it’s not well catered for with some WAP gateways and devices.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Advertisement