Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If things go wrong for Chelsea the media are going to have fun with Mourinho

• 13-07-2004 12:27pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think the papers are going to have a field day...his only way to stop them is to be a success.I just think he is a sitting duck,he is also in love with himself.

I am starting to think the guys bonkers.

Mourinho boasts 'After God, me'
    Amy Lawrence
    Sunday July 11, 2004
    The Observer

EITHER HE IS putting on a sensational act to camouflage a deeply sensitive and shrewd mind, or José Mourinho really is the most self-adoring person ever to set foot in the English Premiership.
    A handful of days into his new job at Stamford Bridge - before he had even met half of his playing staff or polished the composition of his squad with what is expected to be another delve into the transfer market - the Portuguese coach was looking confidently beyond his three-year deal: 'I think at the end of my contract the club will be interested in giving me a new one.' Does he want to stay for the long haul? 'Sure.'

The demands of the British game hold no fear. 'If I lose a lot of matches and don't reach the objectives we have, there is a risk I won't finish my contract. Maybe they will sack me. But I don't believe that will be the case. As for a heart attack? I don't think so.

'I am not worried about pressure. If I wanted to have an easy job, working with the big protection of what I have already done before, I would have stayed at Porto - beautiful blue chair, the Uefa Champions League trophy, God, and after God, me. If I stayed there and lost 10 matches and didn't win another Champions League people would still trust me and think I am the best.'

Mourinho evidently has no difficulties in convincing himself of his worth. Now the players have to convince him of theirs. Eidur Gudjohnsen is top of the class at the moment - 'He's better than I previously thought and I believe that the specifics of our work can improve him a lot,' enthused Mourinho - while Adrian Mutu has emerged from discussions with a new chance to prove himself. Hernán Crespo, however, looks to be on the move. The Argentine, signed last summer for £16.8 million, made a terrible impression by arriving late for the first day of pre-season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

I think he will be a success

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

well if he is not he is a sitting duck for the good old British Tabloids...not to mention the Russian Mafia

The tabloids turn on every one besides in his last two press conferences he took no **** of them whats so ever
    he maticoulously prepares for each match with huge doissiers outlining players weakness and strenghts and when they are at their best etc
    He is a better manager than raneiri was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'd put money on Chelsea not winning the Premier League, they may however do quite well in the Champions league.

I'd be more interested to see what the media write when about Ferguson when United don't win anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

He's been v impressed with Gudjohnsen and has regarded him as a pure striker, he can be, but he does loves to drop deep. Kezman and Mutu are down as supporting strikers.
    He's going to play with the diamond or 4-3-3.
    If Crespo stays which is highly unlikely then he wants a CB and a right sided midfielder.

• Advertisement

drogba could be coming Aparently Marseille have accepted a bid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm impressed with Mourinho. I remember Raneiri describing in interviews, his transfer situation at Chelsea last season as being like a kid in a sweet shop. I didn't think Raneiri hadled the situation poorly, rather that he just didn't have a definite direction/plan.

The main thing Mourinho has done since arriving is cut down the squad size, the transfer target list and directed the money and efforts at specific acquisitions that will improve the team.

Given that Porto were a consistently good team with a far lesser first team and squad of players and that the core of the players know each other well already, Mourinho should be able to build a decent side there. I'm looking forward to a Chelsea team is fielding a consistent first team over the course of a season players with most players given a good run in the team.

He also seems to be well able to deal with the media. The media may have a field day but I have a feeling he's well able for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    drogba could be coming Aparently Marseille have accepted a bid
    Mourinho won't be buying Drogba if Crespo stays. He said if Crespo was only 99% sure about staying then he should go. 2 players for each position is what he wants so, as Smuckers said, a CB and RM is all that he now needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Mourinho has impressed me aswell. He reminds me Wenger, i dont like Wenger but he is a top manager and i think Mourinho will do well at Chelsea. He feels who ever is playing well will play, but when Raneiri was there you could score a hat-trick and play brilliant and still be droped for the next game.
    I could never see Chelsea winning the title when Raneiri was there but now mourinho is getting a setted squad and he has lay down the law to the players AND Mr. money bags so i think chelsea will do well.........But Man United to win the Treble.lol.......i wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by irish1

I'd be more interested to see what the media write when about Ferguson when United don't win anything!

dont get ahead of yourself now , ive heard they're going to have a big push in the League Cup . :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

A couple of things.

Firstly this thread is about Chelsea and Mourinho, if I see another off thread comment about Man United etc I will not be responsible for my actions !!! Keep it on topic, if you want to comment about Man United or any of the other teams chances keep it to a new thread.

Back on topic, if Mourinho gets his act together early and motivates his players (something he looks quite good at) Chelsea will be challanging strongly for the title this year. Eventhough I am an Arsenal fan I hope he does, having 2 teams only winning the title all the time is not good for football in the Premiership and really cheapens the title. I mean we don't want it to become another SPL do we !!!

The only problem is with statements like the ones he is making he could be out of a job next May if he doesn't have some silverware for Mrs Abramovic to polish !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by gandalf
    Firstly this thread is about Chelsea and Mourinho, if I see another off thread comment about Man United etc I will not be responsible for my actions !!! Keep it on topic, if you want to comment about Man United or any of the other teams chances keep it to a new thread.

I personally dont think its possible to talk about how Chelsea/Mourinho will do next year WITHOUT mentioning United or Arsenal. It is idiotic to suggest that another thread should be opened to talk about their chances. YES there have been a couple of stupid remarks about United winning nothing and blah blah blah but they are only lads making stupid jokes, if people get offended or upset over such remarks they probably arent allowed or old enough to be on the internet anyway.

The heavy handed style that moderators have dealt with any signs of a title debate (because thats what any debate involving Arsenal Chelsea and United is) starting have resulted in them all just dying. Whats the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The point is quite simple really. If you were here during all the bullsh!t that happened before you would realise that going off topic in this way in threads was what caused all this issues in the first place. Threads turned into slagging matches between idiots.

If you have a problem with the modding of this board and you like any intelligent discussions on football to be drowned out by infantile rubbish you are more than welcome to go to the forums on football365.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Im not saying I have a problem with the mods, or that I think they are doing a bad job, not at all, they are making very well with the difficult situation they are faced with, but

I just think coming on with the "prepared to be banned" line scares people away from threads and kills them off.

Some of the United Arsenal Chelsea threads make the most interesting reading BY FAR. The are the most informative and the busiest. YES there will be a few digs but so what? In the 2 threads that have been "warned" in the last 2 days, there has been nothing childish in them. Just some people with totally biased (blind) views arguing, but hey thats football. Its not like there are people going around wrecking every thread here. This is going to happen in every thread about the title and who has a chance. Can we not discuss this without being threatened to be banned anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

me apologieses for my Man United comment , of course I had meant to have a / in the middle when I said league cup ;) .

and it was off topic anyway so again me apologises .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

My apologies Gandalf if it appeared as if I was trying to take the thread off topic, but the thread title doesn't exactly invite open discussion I was simply saying I think the Media will be more interested in Ferguson this year. (perhaps by saying "when" rather than "if" I was being a little light hearted, sorry if it appeared to be anything else)

If you'd prefer I open a seperate thread for one sentence that isn't 100% on topic fair enough, in future I will.

The ironic thing is that the thread went off topic as soon as ye started arguing over the validitity of moderating

As for the drogba issue marseille confirmed last night that chelsea had offered 18 million pounds for drogba but that it was rejected

Quite simply they see chelsea they tack 15 million extra on the players value

This also has grave reprecussions for crespo, Although milan want him they only want him for a season and wont be buying him as they dont want to upset their bid for torres next year

As for the drogba issue marseille confirmed last night that chelsea had offered 18 million pounds for drogba but that it was rejected

Quite simply they see chelsea they tack 15 million extra on the players value
    I don't think Chelsea will put in an improved bid for him. Peter Kenyon (I think) said Abramovich won't be spending way over the odd's on players if he doesn't believe they will pay him back with goals, etc. The most Chelsea ever paid on a player was £17m for Duff and I don't think they'll be playing much more for any player, with the exception of about a couple of players.

Anyway, what has Drogba done to be valued over Crespo, Mutu, Duff, Parker or Kezman? He scored 15 goals in 63 games for Le Mans which is a bad ratio for a striker in an average league. He got a 1 in 2 ratio for Guingamp and Marseille. He's 26 so isn't exactly going to get much better. Crespo's record for Chelsea is a lot better than that and it was in a tougher league and a tougher team.

he scored 15 goals in 18 appearances in the ueafa cup this year
    he scored 19 goals in 22 league appearnces for marseille in the league
    So i think he has improved somewhat

he scored 15 goals in 18 appearances in the ueafa cup this year
    he scored 19 goals in 22 league appearnces for marseille in the league
    He played 35 times for Marseille in the league last season, not 22. AFAIK, he only scored 6 in the UEFA cup.

• Advertisement

he scored 33 times last year

http://www.soccerage.com/en/07/33590.html

he scored 33 times last year

http://www.soccerage.com/en/07/33590.html
    He scored 18 in 35 league games. 5 in 5 CL games. 6 in 11 UEFA cup games.

he is still good though
    And i think he is better than crespo all that boy is after is a pay cheque
    he is horing himself to milan since the start of the year

And i think he is better than crespo
    I don't think i've ever seen Drogba play TBH but his goal scoring is no match for Crespo's. Last season Crespo scored 10 league goals in the equivalent of less than 13 games. That ratio was only beaten by Henry.

Would you prefer a mercneary who basically doesnt give a toss about the club and simply will go to the highest bidder or a player who wants to play for the club
    The fact he declared his love for chelsea one week after saying he would take a wage cut to go to milan smacks of greed to me

Would you prefer a mercneary who basically doesnt give a toss about the club and simply will go to the highest bidder or a player who wants to play for the club
    The fact he declared his love for chelsea one week after saying he would take a wage cut to go to milan smacks of greed to me
    How is he a mercenary if he would take a pay cut to join Milan? He sounds like the opposite of a mercenary to me and is just unhappy in London.

hes a mercenary he came to chelsea to make a few quid
    The going gets tough he declares he loves milan and ancellotti and wants to move there
    Two weeks later he says he loves chelsea

come on lad wake up and smell the roubles

Eh, Inter accepted a fee for Crespo, when that happens most players usually leave, especially when the fee is £16.8m. Milan declared their interest, he wants to move back to Italy for whatever reason. Milan aren't willing to pay his wages so he's forced to stay. He's hardly going to stay and tell all the fans he hates the club whether he wants to leave or not. There is absolutely no proof he came to Chelsea for money while we all know Makelele came to Chelsea for the money.

he just seems to have a lot of love for a lot of clubs he is trying to angle his way out while still trying to keep the fans on his side
    seems to have worked in your case

Mutu had a way worse time and he has said he wants to knuckle down and work
    he hasnt declared his love for another team while simultanously declaring love for chelsea

Its simply the princibal

• Advertisement

Mutu had a way worse time
    How do you know? How do you know Mutu isn't having a great time in London while Crespo is having a hard time and the departure of Veron made it worse? If he was a mercenary he would want to stay at Chelsea where he's making the biggest wage pack of his life. By the way, he only played 14 times for Inter so he hardly left on a high. Just admit that there is no proof that he is a mercenary and its all over.:)

No i know a mercenary when i see one
    He never claps the fans when leaving the pitch
    He showed no heart against monaco
    he turns up late for training without even a phone call
    Smakc of a man who couldnt care less about the club

besides how could he miss veron
    veron was on holiday in argentina for the whole season

A mercenary is someone who joins the club merely for the money. There could be 100 reasons why a player is unhappy at a club. You don't have to be a mercenary to not care about the club.

What about Makelele? The only reason he left Madrid is because his wages weren't on par with other players. Ranieri knew this before he signed him but still went ahead with it.

BTW - I have seen Crespo going crazy when he scored for Chelsea.

no doubt makele is a mercenary and id cry no tears if he left tomorrow
    As for crespo going crazy so did ravenelli and he was the epiphany of a mercenary

He showed no heart against monaco
    Owen showed no heart for England against France.
    he turns up late for training without even a phone call
    Players turn up late for training every day of the week but the papers tried to make something big out of this because he has been linked with Milan. I was late for work a couple of times without a phone call. Viduka was dropped by Reid for turning up late for training but that doesn't mean he's a mercenary. The same for Beckham and Yorke at United. They are only the high profile incidents.

he wasnt late he didnt turn up
    Hes gone now so i dont care

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Its no doubt that he is under huge pressure to suceed at Stanford bridge.But if he comes under fire from the media he`ll probably just laugh it off in some arrogant manner.I personally think that he is one of the best managers in europe,He succeded in winning The UEFA cup and UEFA Champions League in succession with the limited resources he had at his disposal.It may take him some time but he will do very well there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

of coures he is going to be arrogant he is in a win win situation if he is not a success and they sack him they will pay most of his Big contract up its a great deal for him.We are all in the wrong line of work.

Advertisement