Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for a line test

Options
  • 13-07-2004 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

I rang Eircom to enquire about a line-test for broadband nearly two months ago. I had got the phone line installed only a few weeks prior to that so I knew that there would be no test results available in the database, and the Eircom sales person on the phone confirmed that. So I asked if he could put it through for testing for me, and he said it would take up to two weeks and he would get back to me with the result.

So i waited two weeks, and a third week since I really believed he would get back to me. After that I phoned them up again to ask what the story was... they said still no test results. Apparently they had sent the line in for testing but nothing had been done at the exchange. So I asked if he could get the line tested, and he said he would, and would get back to me in a week. So about nine days later I phoned up again to see if any progress had been made, and there were still no test results.

This time the Eircom sales guy said he would email someone at the exchange directly, to make sure the test gets done. So he said to ring back in three working days. Three working days later, there were still no results, and I was told to ring back the following day; which I did but there was no change.

On three occasions since then I phoned, and have been asking for the guy who emailed the exchange directly, and was told that there was no result on that, and I should ring back the following day.

Today I was told that it will take 48 hours from when the email was sent to the exchange... now that was over a week ago so I mentioned that to the person on the line and she said to ring back the following day.

Its been about seven weeks now and there is still no end in sight. With a new phone line at the center of an upgraded exchange, I'm confident that I can get broadband. However, after having to wait a very long time to get my phone line installed, and now equally long waiting for a line test, (expecting another long wait to get it installed if I do get a positive result), my patience is being stretched very thin. I was going to be living in Leixlip for one year; so now when I do get broadband I'll be spending an extra €100 euro terminating the contract early because they kept me waiting so long to get it installed. This is causing me a lot of hassle with any work I have to do from home...

Has anybody else (particularly in Leixlip?) experienced this; and is there anything I can do to get the line tested sometime this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Try dealing with any Broadband ISP, Except EirCon :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im in Leixlip (up Captains Hill). I got it over a year ago after some difficulties (including a few white lies))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Try dealing with any Broadband ISP, Except EirCon :rolleyes:

I rang iol and they said that they use Eircom's testing systems, so Eircom must test the line. I asked if there was any other way around it and they said no.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

for what it is worth, try what I did after many fails.
    Straight after they told me I failed, I phoned them up again and (white lying) I said that I had previously passed the test and I now wanted to apply. Suddenly my line passed the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Thats a good idea... but mine shows up as 'no test results available' so I dunno... and also they probably all know me in there by now :) I rang them again today and they said 2 more weeks... I got irritated and told her she was just guessing, and where did she get that 2 weeks figure, and she said 'to be on the safe side'. Rang Netsource, maybe can get it done through them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As I have stated before on this forum. Verbal communication with any division of EirCoN is a waste of time. All communication should be in writing, preferably with someone in authority, and always request that any communication re line failure for Broadband etc is confirmed in writing to you .

You are correct that if you apply to another ISP for Broadband on your line. That the 'test' must still be carried out by EirCoN as they own the last mile connection. IMO an illegal/criminal monopoloy under E.U. anti-competitive legislation.

However, if you were to apply to someone like U.TV Clicksilver for Broadband, at least then it would be them and not you applying directly and officially in writing for a line test.

Click on: www.utvinternet.com
    and check what they have on offer.

Good luck. ;)

Advertisement