Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamecube universal????

Options
  • 13-07-2004 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Just wondering are all gamecubes worldwide the same and will they play all games for around the globe also do gamecubes play dvds?????
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Richy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

No, they dont play dvds. No theyre not universal. Jap, NTSC(US) and PAL (Europe/Australia),. You can buy a Datel Freeloader though from play.com that will let you play any region game.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Right so I'm buyin a gamecube from the US on ebay and what must I do to play the games over here. Thanks for any help
    Richy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Buy a freeloader from play.com , then your gamecube may as well be "universal" as it will play any region. Be careful about power connections and stuff though if its from the US, it may have a different power needs or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You can very easily mod a US or Japanese gamecube to play games from both of those regions.

It's only when Europe enters the equation that the problems begin. In my experience, Freeloader works fine enabling PAL gamecubes to play Jap and US games, but results vary when used on a JAP/US GameCube. For example, a PAL Metroid Prime won't run properly under Freeloader when used on a US gamecube.

You'll also need a step-down transformer, I'd imagine.

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    You'll also need a step-down transformer, I'd imagine.
    could ya tell me what this is ta mate.
    Richy.

• Advertisement

Because the mains voltage varies between the two countries, you'll need to plug your GameCube into a transformer (which is then plugged into your wall). The transformer will change the voltage to the US standard.

www.lik-sang.com do them.

I wonder though, how good a deal are you getting on this GameCube? I know that Index in the UK (including NI) are selling them for something ridiculously cheap like £40.

[edit]http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=80&products_id=1461& - that's what you'll want.[/edit]

would ya have the addrees of their website, I may consider would save a lot of hastle considering I am payin e40 + shipping + freeloader + transformer. Thanks!

www.index.co.uk

I can't see any mention of the GameCube in the sale, however. There was a thread about it a couple of weeks ago if you want to search.

Advertisement