Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xBox Live Query

Options
  • 13-07-2004 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

We're after getting an xBox in the house here, a few of us interested in getting it set up to play online. We have broadband but we didn't get an xBox Live starter kit (I thought these were supposed to come with the xBox?). Is there any cheap, quick or easy way to try the thing out rather than pay €60?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Not as far as I know - you could get a trial for 2 months with some games (a few people on boards offered their trial codes for free in the past - search) or you could give xbconnect a try.

I've never used xbconnect, and so can't vouch for it's quality. On the plus side there's no sub fee, and you can play games like Halo that dont have Live! support. On the other hand, it's laggy and there's no content updates on it (like real Live!).

I'm new to this myself, so if there is a way to get XB Live! for less than €60 a year I'd like to hear it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You need to pay the 60 to get the headset. If you dont have the headset you miss half the fun. Headset+12 Months subscription plus some demos for €60 is a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by kmick
    You need to pay the 60 to get the headset. If you dont have the headset you miss half the fun. Headset+12 Months subscription plus some demos for €60 is a reasonable price.

I thought that the first 12 months to connect were free? I'd like to try it before I shell out €60 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

As posted before most, xbox-live games come with a 2-month trial voucher. My advice would be to buy either Project gotham racing 2 or rainbox six 3 and use the voucher, and if you dont like live you still have two great games anywho. (headset not included)

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    As posted before most, xbox-live games come with a 2-month trial voucher. My advice would be to buy either Project gotham racing 2 or rainbox six 3 and use the voucher, and if you dont like live you still have two great games anywho. (headset not included)

We've got Project Gotham 2, I don't see anything about a trial though :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Did PGR2 come with the console?

You only get the voucher if you buy the game retail, not as part of a console deal.

At €60 it's hardly going to break the bank, coming in at just over a quid a week, and if 'a few' of you want to play online like you say then it's even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

i just got wireless broadband in, and i know xbox works with wireless

BUT, my ping isnt the best at the moment, it has to be tweaked, something i cant do, im in and around 65ms to places, but its 100 on many other pc gaming servers

would this be okay? or would i be "kicked" out of a server for too high of a ping?

one other thing, i got my xbox last christmas, and the scratchcard for live has a use by date, its "01/10/03 to 31/03/04" that date has passed, hope i dont have a void scratchcard :P

or can i send an email or something? i havent even scratched off the silvery stuff yet...

Originally posted by BArra

one other thing, i got my xbox last christmas, and the scratchcard for live has a use by date, its "01/10/03 to 31/03/04" that date has passed, hope i dont have a void scratchcard :P

or can i send an email or something? i havent even scratched off the silvery stuff yet...

As far as I know, it'll be void :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I got a voucher for Xbox Live with a few games, its just an A5 sized card in Black with Xbox Trial written on it and some info, it has a scratch panel which reveals a code that lets you set it up on Xbox Live.

The Xbox Live starter Pack includes one years subscription a headset and usually a demo game that you can play on Xbox Live.

You can buy the headset separately as I did for about €20-30, sign up to live with a free trial, and then once your two months is up pay the €60 for a years subscription. or pay monthly.

Games that have the Free Trial for two months are marked with a sticker you can see the sticker here on Xbox Lives Ireland website.

http://www.xbox.com/en-ie/live/trialoffer/

Advertisement