Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim Morrison > genius or everyday day stoner

Options
  • 13-07-2004 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

had this argument with my friend a while back...

Just wondering what you think?

personally i think Jim was without a doubt, a genius!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

genius could be a bit strong - certainly he was very talented with a great voice, and surrounded by some good musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

clever chancer:

You know that it would be untrue
    You know that I would be a liar
    If I was to say to you
    Girl, we couldn’t get much higher
    Come on baby, light my fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Originally posted by ambasite
    clever chancer:

You know that it would be untrue
    You know that I would be a liar
    If I was to say to you
    Girl, we couldn’t get much higher
    Come on baby, light my fire

Morrison didn't write that, the guitar player did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭gogul

Yeah it was ROBBY KRIEGER who wrote it.

Still think he's a genius though. You just have to listen to An American Prayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

A bit of both, he was good but very overrated. For example:

Ride the snake, ride the snake
    To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
    The snake is long, seven miles
    Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold

The west is the best
    The west is the best
    Get here, and we'll do the rest

The blue bus is callin' us
    The blue bus is callin' us
    Driver, where you taken' us

I've a rake, I'll make a cake
    I've a rake, I'll make a cake
    To cook this cake I'll have to bake
    These silly lyrics are easy to make...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

I agree that he is a legend. But to stir it up a little, if he hadnt died so young would he still be around and still thought of the same way? Look and james dean, considered greatness, but agaiin died young so easy to burn bright for a short time, wonder if they lived would they be so famous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

he would have died soon or later... like in the next 3 years... he was a terrible alcoholic, and had his drug habits too :p

when he left for france he had left the doors. they jus didnt realise. he didnt get on wit Kreiger and Densmore, and his relationship with Manzarek turned into a business relationship.

... i think him dying young had nothing to do with it, cause he had left the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Originally posted by 2+2=5
    when he left for france he had left the doors. they jus didnt realise. he didnt get on wit Kreiger and Densmore, and his relationship with Manzarek turned into a business relationship.

... i think him dying young had nothing to do with it, cause he had left the doors. [/B]

Well you'd better let them know because they recall phone calls discussing touring the album LA Woman.(or are they lying?)

It was Densmore not Kreiger who he didn't gel with, but all the relationships were strained because of his drinking and the Miami incident, hence the break/move to Paris to get his head sorted.

His IQ of 143 puts him in genius league, no Stephen Hawking but up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Genius or not he was a fantastic frontman, singer, and songwriter. It's just a pity he was an absolute prick and a complete alcoholic. But still worthy of reverence.

Originally posted by Shewhomustbe...
    Well you'd better let them know because they recall phone calls discussing touring the album LA Woman.(or are they lying?)

It was Densmore not Kreiger who he didn't gel with, but all the relationships were strained because of his drinking and the Miami incident, hence the break/move to Paris to get his head sorted.

His IQ of 143 puts him in genius league, no Stephen Hawking but up there.

Iv read in interviews with Pam that Jim had said he never felt really that close to Densmore AND Krieger.

He did feel that their relationship had become more of a business relationship.

and as i said, although the band didnt realise it, when he left for Paris, he had left the band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The music becomes annoying after a while, so underproduced. Which is a bad thing in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Some of his lyrics are pure juvenile crap. Sounds like they were written by a pretentious 6th year in the back of his copy of Hamlet while thinking he was Oscar Wilde. The band were always overrated. Made a good first album. Always helps the band when the lead singer dies. He was capable of a lot more, Its stupid glorifying a fat bastard who wasted his talent after one album.

The doors-good debut album, worthy of classic status,even though it contains filler
    Strange Days-verging into crap-horse latitudes et al
    Waiting for the sun-pretentious ****- i am the lizard king etc-yawn
    The Soft Parade- dire
    LA woman

I find it funny how much of a lenend people see him as, imagine if Dylan died in 1970?! Or Jimmy Page in 1975?!

id rate their first album their worst...

fat? nah sorry man i think you've got the wrong guy....

haha you forgot to mention their best album, "Morrison Hotel"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think he was a great singer but I don't think his lyrics were up to scratch. An American Prayer is self indulgent trash. I think the Doors were just lucky. Yes they were a good band but they weren't a great band. In my opinion they were a poor man's Velvet Underground (but then again, I'm a big VU fan).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by John2
    I think he was a great singer but I don't think his lyrics were up to scratch. An American Prayer is self indulgent trash. I think the Doors were just lucky. Yes they were a good band but they weren't a great band. In my opinion they were a poor man's Velvet Underground (but then again, I'm a big VU fan).

Couldn't agree more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Doctor J
    A bit of both, he was good but very overrated.
    Like Doctor J, I'll take a little from column A, a little from column B
    Originally posted by jay567
    I agree that he is a legend. But to stir it up a little, if he hadnt died so young would he still be around and still thought of the same way? Look and james dean, considered greatness, but agaiin died young so easy to burn bright for a short time, wonder if they lived would they be so famous?
    Dunno about James Dean as his youthful rebel without an ability to navigate tight corners at speed image probably helped his deification. It's the Lennon versus Rabbitface argument again. Mind you with that in mind you have to consider the absolute tosh McCartney mostly released in the seventies as opposed to Lennon's constant reworking of the same song (Imagine, Woman, Watching the Wheels). By the eighties they were all at it: Jagger was singing terrible duets with Bowie, Queen went pop (though it was good pop), McCartney was plumbing new depths with Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder went from acclaimed genius to I Just Called To Say I Love You (my girlfriend asked me lately if I had any Stevie Wonder and was disappointed when I offered her Songs In The Key Of Life as she just wanted the aforementioned dodgy 80s stuff), McCartney did it again with his "reply to punk" (er, Press To Play, little late there Paul), the Stones became irrelevant and we could all have sat back and listened to Danny Kaye singing I've Got A Lovely Bunch Of Cocoanuts instead (which, incidentally, I'm listening to right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Originally posted by 2+2=5
    and as i said, although the band didnt realise it, when he left for Paris, he had left the band [/B]

I'm curious to know, since none of the other band members or management did, how do YOU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Morrisson was never fat towards the end of his life??! okkkay, I think anyone with a passing interest in the doors knows this. Anyway there's no point arguing with hardcore fans who can't accept another opinion different to their own. It's not a doors fanclub forum!

Advertisement