Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus alloy help pls

Options
  • 13-07-2004 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭

Asking on behalf of the boyfriend....

He has a 04 Ford Focus and he wants to put Wolfrace Matrix alloys onto it - 17 inch.

He wants to know

a) what type of tyre he should get with the alloys (he wants to get good grip on the road)
    b) Does anyone know of any problems that might arise from a Ford Focus having 17 inch alloys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

a) Tyre size on 17"s is normally 205/40/17 . I dont think he'll be able to go above 40mm as you might start rubbing the arches. this means that you'll have low profile tyres, which leads me onto,

b) You will have to me much more careful going over rough ground/potholes are you will be more likely to get a puncture your tyre/damage your rim. Also these tyres will cost much more (about 90-110 quid each) to replace. Your acceleration will also decrease with bigger wheels. If he is buying new wheels, he should go for a package deal, any good motor shops do packages. Also shop around, I saved myself over €150 when buying 17" chromes (bling bling!). If your *certain* of the wheels you want, buy them online from England. Even after shipping costs your still saving a packet.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by embee

b) Does anyone know of any problems that might arise from a Ford Focus having 17 inch alloys.
    He could end up snapping his steering column. Expensive mistake.

Originally posted by seamus

Dont be so bloody negative. As logn as you dont drive like a maniac over potholes/bad road you'll be fine. Best of luck with the wheels, you wont regret the money you pump into buying them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

thx for the replies .

im going to go and get them looked at firstyl by the car in west coast alloys . up near the gf . they said it would cost between 1040-1090 euros to get them fitted .

i rember notising that the focus could take 17" ones from when i was getting it but passed up on getting ones from the shop .

u said driving like a maniac over potholes . atm the only time i usually hit one is the bugger i cant see or is around a corner . i dont hug the side of the roads cause ive been the passinger of 2 many a car that has hit some debree from the side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Originally posted by elexes
    west coast alloys . up near the gf

Silly rabbit.

EAST coast alloys :D

• Advertisement

'East-side..... Whest-wide' schwerrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

The Focus can take upto 19" alloys. I recommend you get 205/45 tyre profile with the 17" alloys, but you will also need to get the car lowered as it will be like 4x4 with the standard springs and alloys. I dropped my Focus 35mm on Eibach springs for €300 altogether with 205/45 profile and I'm very happy, no problems at all. Also, on 205/45 the ride is a lot more comfortable

This is 205/40 on stock springs:

stock_springs.jpg

and this is 205/45 tyres with a drop of 35mm:

35mm_springs.jpg

I've seen Focus's take 18" with a 50mm drop without problems but that's more extreme
    Originally posted by seamus

Dont be worried about 17" rims, if you go above that, then seamus's comment may be more accurate :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

yup as ando said, they will take anything upto 19'' (afaik you need a drop for 19 tho)

17 inches will be grand - but for a more modern look apon alloys... the bigger the better... but with irish roads you want to be safe - so 18 with a 35-45 drop should be ok.

Make sure you drop you car tho, i wouldnt get alloys without dropping the car.. you dont wanna be driving about in a car that looks like a tractor! :P

<editpost!>
    Ando, im sure you remember my focus that was robbed? 60mm drop with 18s... fitted grand, but not the best for the road... lucky my civic could take the 18s aswell as the 60mm drop! :)
    </editpost!>

u got a 60drop on 18's... fecking hell thats amazing, and you dont get any rubbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i didnt get to drive it :P remmeber - it was taken from the place i bought it from! But yup, 60 drop worked, but they said it wasnt really recommended... but im sure you know yourself, you want it to be as low as possible! :)

• Advertisement

ah yeah i remember alright :rolleyes: i was talking about the civic, 18's with 60drop :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

intresting thx for the advice

Advertisement