Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP SP2 delayed...again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I installed that on a machine last week????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

That was a release candidate not the full release version.

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    That was a release candidate not the full release version.

umm I was led to believe it was the full version, was doing it for some testing, perhaps the company I'm with were privilged to a pre release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

No its not a full version, companies were encouraged to download and install the beta to ensure compatability issues with their software were sorted before its release

Originally posted by L5
    No its not a full version, companies were encouraged to download and install the beta to ensure compatability issues with their software were sorted before its release

Umm I thought we had the beta about 2 weeks ago, ah well, obviously getting wrong information somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

RCs come after betas. Alphas, then betas, then RCs. You probably installed RC2.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

this is one of the few times when installing the beta is better then to wait, some important fixes in sp2 beta.

Or you could move to Mozilla

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

RC2 seems pretty stable for once.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

looks like the of refresh of machines will have to wait.

I am holding out till xp sp2.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Batbat
    this is one of the few times when installing the beta is better then to wait, some important fixes in sp2 beta.

Or you could move to Mozilla
    Hmm a 200MB download today (not for poduction environments) and the same again two months time (wait a few days in case they reissue it like NT SP6a) or a 5MB browser whose most recent patch was 1KB..

Wouldn't it be nice if they seperated IE and OS - then by not uninstalling IE you could skip about 1/3 of the updates (and reboots)

As long as the delay is for security updates and not "features" or more changes in the ELUA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

any news on ie7?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by ando
    any news on ie7?

could be a while, Microsoft only intended to update with security updates via service packs until longhorn as they thought they had the browser market sewn up.

But then along came mozilla and firefox and now they have hired back the IE Beta team again to come up with some new and interesting stuff for IE.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At this stage looks like the next big upgrade of IE will be the version bundled with longhorn.. might not be a free upgrade for earlier windows users. The really bad news is they are still integrating the browser..
    msiesplash.png

Advertisement