Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless speakers

Options
  • 13-07-2004 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

I've a DVD surround sound speaker system to wire up - TV DVD & two speakers in one corner & the other three (2 surround + 1 sub) in the far corner. I've a power point in the far corner to power the speakers

Is there a wireless solution I can use, which will save me trailing wires all over the floor?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Ya just can't beat a piece of copper cable!!

That's my conclusion after spending about a year trying various RF speaker systems, all of which failed desperately in the applications I was using them for. At the moment, wireless speakers are based on RF radio signals, which are way too unreliable and noisy to be of any use. One of the systems I did was a Loewe Aconda TV with wiereless rear speakers. The speakers were €3500 a pair, and were sitting about 10 feet from the TV. The results were appalling, no matter what I did to try to improve the quality. It may have been an environmental problem, perhaps the house was in a noisy RF area, but whatever the reason, the speakers did not stay for long on the job.

802.11b is the way forward for transmitting audio signals wirelessly. The technology will be adopted pretty quickly over the coming couple of years, and you will see the introduction of cheap 'video senders' and 'audio senders' based on 802.11b rather that the current RF standard.

Sorry to waffle on. In your particular case, you'll have to run the cable, as the speakers have no way of getting power from the amp on the other side of the room. Wireless speakers have amps built into them, speakers that come with DVD packs need power from the main amp, sorry.

Robbie

Advertisement