Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i don't like joyce!!

Options
  • 13-07-2004 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

i tried really hard to enjoy dubliners, and ulysses sends me to sleep every night. is there something wrong with me? is there something about joyce i'm just not getting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

No it's a normal reaction to trash - put's you to sleep everytime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

its just a reaction to all the bloody hype thats around..and you know that ad for the denny sausages with that weird big-headed kid thats supposed to be joyce or whatnot? scared the bejaysus outta me. all the coverage on the news just pissed me off. the whole joyce thing is still being coveted by all those uppity snobs that have nothing else to do except mull over his works and brush back thier floppy hair.you know those ''im a joycian'' types. ick.they are like oh we are doing this for the general public who may be too thick or uncultured to find out about joyce without our help..its our gift to the world.......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

ok i have to say that i do find Joyce very over rated BUT i wouldnt call him trash.
    either u like it or u dont. a lot of people consider Joyce to be the only Irish writer worth talkin about and that is bollóx but he shouldnt be ignored.
    i like some of his work but not all. i like dubliners and Portrait of the artist but i find Ulysees to be a load of wánk.

either u like him or you dont. it all comes to down to personal choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carpocrates

I agree. Joyce is really bad. First of all everyone knows that novels have to have 3 women as main characters, not just one, and that they all have to be sexy dominatrixes of the workplace, but big softies really. And everyone knows that the lead characters all have to have unresoved issues in their childhood which, when finally exorcised through the plot, leave them free and rediscovered.
    And everyone knows that the words have to be spelled just like the BBC would do it, or else phoenetically when you have Ballymun characters or ones from scotland or New Yoik.
    There are so amny things wrong wth Joyce. For example when they made denny sausage adds from his book, that was so wrong of him, how could he? And the when all the empty minded bourgeoisie of Dublin use his book to sound intelligent, how could he just stay in his grave and allow it? Yes, I think you're right, Joyce was a dreadful, boring, ignorant writer who changed nothing and hadn't a brain in his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Do I detect a note of sarcasm?

Can't say I like Joyce either. Tried to read the Dubliners and it did nothing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by carpocrates
    I agree. Joyce is really bad. First of all everyone knows that novels have to have 3 women as main characters, not just one, and that they all have to be sexy dominatrixes of the workplace, but big softies really. And everyone knows that the lead characters all have to have unresoved issues in their childhood which, when finally exorcised through the plot, leave them free and rediscovered.
    And everyone knows that the words have to be spelled just like the BBC would do it, or else phoenetically when you have Ballymun characters or ones from scotland or New Yoik.
    There are so amny things wrong wth Joyce. For example when they made denny sausage adds from his book, that was so wrong of him, how could he? And the when all the empty minded bourgeoisie of Dublin use his book to sound intelligent, how could he just stay in his grave and allow it? Yes, I think you're right, Joyce was a dreadful, boring, ignorant writer who changed nothing and hadn't a brain in his head.

nice one!

ROFLMAO :D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement