Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies keeping credit card detail on file

Options
  • 13-07-2004 9:12pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what right companies have to keep credit card details on file. Last month I paid my o2 bill by credit card over the net - this was the first time I had done it this way. Lo and behold when I go to pay it again in the same way the credit card details flash up in front of me.

Should a company have to ask if they can keep credit card details on file (as distinct from associated with specific transactions).

For instance I am sure if you pay your bill in a shop they cannot keep your credit card details or can they!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you set up a direct debit then they can keep your details on file.

I had a similar problem years ago with esat. I was a paying my bill by CC and then cancelled for a year and came back. They still had my details on file.

Best if your worried is to cancel your card and get a new number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by dub45
    Just wondering what right companies have to keep credit card details on file. Last month I paid my o2 bill by credit card over the net - this was the first time I had done it this way. Lo and behold when I go to pay it again in the same way the credit card details flash up in front of me.

Cached in your browser I would wager. Try the same procedure from another machine and I bet the details will be blank.

M

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by Muck
    Cached in your browser I would wager. Try the same procedure from another machine and I bet the details will be blank.

M

You lose the bet! :) Did not use this computer when paying last time and in any way it came up pay using credit card ending 1234 - you know that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Have a look around the edges of the o2 website, there'll almost certainly be a link to a privacy policy, or else there was one when you entered your credit card details.

As far as I know, they're entitled to hold whatever details they like about your account, so long as it's secure, and you have a right to see the data.

A shop would be different. Mobile phones companies are essentially credit companies. They allow you to run up a bill for your calls, essentially loaning you the cost of the calls, until you pay off the debt. They have legal entitlements to store data about you, since they are loaning you money.
    Shops don't. At no point are you in debt to the shop. You agree a contract of sale for the goods you want, you pay for them, and leave. They have no reason to keep your details recorded.

Originally posted by seamus
    Have a look around the edges of the o2 website, there'll almost certainly be a link to a privacy policy, or else there was one when you entered your credit card details.

As far as I know, they're entitled to hold whatever details they like about your account, so long as it's secure, and you have a right to see the data.

A shop would be different. Mobile phones companies are essentially credit companies. They allow you to run up a bill for your calls, essentially loaning you the cost of the calls, until you pay off the debt. They have legal entitlements to store data about you, since they are loaning you money.
    Shops don't. At no point are you in debt to the shop. You agree a contract of sale for the goods you want, you pay for them, and leave. They have no reason to keep your details recorded.

But why would they want to keep credit card/laser card details? They have no authority to debit it.

• Advertisement

But why would they want to keep credit card/laser card details? They have no authority to debit it.
    For your convenience of course. And if you did a runner, you could be tracked down, but I'm sure they'd neeeevvvveeerr use it for that purpose ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

For your convenience of course. And if you did a runner, you could be tracked down, but I'm sure they'd neeeevvvveeerr use it for that purpose ;)

True. Amazon do it also. Very handy

Originally posted by Axel
    True. Amazon do it also. Very handy

Yes but do you not formally set up an account with Amazon and formally give them your account number? That way you know they are keeping it on file.

Even in that case though they would have no authority to debit your account as you have only authorised them to debit the account when you made the particular payment where they first got the number. Otherwise making a payment to them is the equivalent of giving them a direct debit facility.

Even in that case though they would have no authority to debit your account as you have only authorised them to debit the account when you made the particular payment where they first got the number. Otherwise making a payment to them is the equivalent of giving them a direct debit facility.
    Ah, but they can collaborate with the credit card co./Gardai to track you down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Whatever about companies storing your CC details in their internal customer database, I don't think any company should automatically enter your CC details from a database into a web form (however secure they think it is). The fact that companies even have the pre-written functionality to retrieve the details of your credit card from their web site is proof of how flippant their attitude to peoples financial details can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Muck

M

Encrypted pages are not stored in the cache (by default, although if you're dumb you can turn that off)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

As far as I am aware, the credit card details should not be held onto after the transaction. A company I used to work for kept customers' CC details very, very secure. They used a password protected Excel spreadsheet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Mr. Dark wrote:
    As far as I am aware, the credit card details should not be held onto after the transaction. A company I used to work for kept customers' CC details very, very secure. They used a password protected Excel spreadsheet :rolleyes:

You'd be very surprised. I have noticed when booking tickets through certain box offices that they keep your credit card details, and also mail order firms. They are able to keep your details, but they must follow data protection policies to protect your data.

If you really want your data to be held securely AIB have some kind of internet service where they can generate a once-off credit card number on 24 hour banking for VISA users called Transact online.

Advertisement