Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My DSL Timeline (Esat Business)

• 13-07-2004 9:19pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well I've finally got my DSL! 1MB for the price of 512K from Esat Business for a 1 year contract (I got it *just* before the new offer went live)

So this is the timeline from order of PSTN line to getting DSL today.

May 14th
    Ordered my PSTN line from a EirCON store, they asked for a photo ID and they photocopied it, thats about it

May 17th
    Got a phonecall from a EirCON engineer, set the time the next day for installing the line, Eng showed up on time :) and he had phone trying to get the cable through solid concrete.

May 19th
    Requested order forms from Esat Business, even though my line wasn't showing up able for DSL yet I still want to make a good start.

June 1st
    Phoned Esat just to check on prices and some details, at this time they advised me there were (at the time) running a one week offer offering 1MB for the price of 512K and a 1 year contract, I jumped at the offer and filled out the forms and faxed them to Esat.

Esat contacted me the next day and advised me they received my fax, they also advised me they needed to run a credit check and this would take 24hrs
    I was advised the next day I would need to send them a deposit.

June 8th
    Sent the deposit to Esat, they advised me the next day the order had been sent to EirCON.
    They advised me it would take approx 30 days for my order to go through :mad:

During the month I checked with Esat to see what the story was with my line and they advised me that EirCON told them that the latest they'd finish the work was the 13th July.

July 12th
    I finally got myself a DSL router, connected it up and saw that I had a upstream & downstream (1MB/256K :D ) so I e-mailed Esat asking for DNS settings etc.

July 13th
    After several e-mails back n forth from Esat's Sales department, who at first though I ALREADY had my DSL modem and my order was finished?!? Then they told me that they'd arrange for a Eng to be sent out with my DSL modem and he'd have the settings, then they finally gave me a static IP address.

I contacted the tech dept who asked for the IP and found my account they then gave me DNS settings, the tech gave me some crazy VPI/VCI number and did'ent give me a gateway IP and seemed unsure of what to give me which wasn't very reassuring but none the less I managed to sort things out on my router.

My thoughts on this are very mixed, as I type this I'm very happy I finally got my DSL line and its working a treat :D
    The delay on my DSL line I could live with but as I hate EirCON with a passion I'm going to say its there fault (yes I know, Esat properly had alot to do with it) :p

Esat should make it much much easier to send settings out to customers, they should be able to auto-close the order so it'll e-mail out the settings to the customers e-mail address regardless if a engineer has been arranged to give the customer a DSL modem.
    None the less with the big delay and other little issues I'd still rather get DSL from Esat then get a capped product elsewhere

:D:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

congrats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Took a little longer than with me (i got mine in just over a month, 1 day over to be precise, however engineer who installed said it sometimes took up to 3 months).

The service i have found to be excellent with only a week of 5 min cut outs (about 1-2 every few days. around same time IOl was almost totally down).

Id highly recommend this service now that he price is 47+vat for basic.

Enjoy :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The only downside with there new price packages is the 2 year contract there now pushing :mad: abit annoying but still best all-around package available currently

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Cabaal
    The only downside with there new price packages is the 2 year contract there now pushing :mad: abit annoying but still best all-around package available currently
    What new price packages? I still see €340 for 2M/256k on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Could Esat please unbundle a few more exchanges? I'm not sure of the terminology, so please excuse me if I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    What new price packages? I still see €340 for 2M/256k on their website.

You did'ent look hard enough
    http://www.esatbt.com/ie/broadband/offer.html
    :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Cabaal
    You did'ent look hard enough
    http://www.esatbt.com/ie/broadband/offer.html
    It's still a tenner a month more than I'm paying Netsource for a 2Mbit connection with a 2-month rolling contract.

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    It's still a tenner a month more than I'm paying Netsource for a 2Mbit connection with a 2-month rolling contract.

True, but for the 512K package, if people are on a budget its a VERY good deal imho,

Advertisement