Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan airflow notation (conversion formula)

Options
  • 13-07-2004 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm comparing different airflow rates of different fans but some are noted in m³/hour and others in CFM. (Assuming CFM means cubic feet per minute)
    Would i be right if i divided m³/hour by 60 and 60 again to get the volume (m³),
    and CFM by 60 to get the volume (feet³).
    And then convert m³ to ft³ using a converter program, Converter Site Neither the site or the program i have do rate of flow.

1m³ = 35.314667ft³
    And
    1ft³ = 0.028317m³

Then multiply it by 60, if your doing m³/hour->CFM
    And then multiply it by 60 by 60, if your doing CFM->m³/hour

Can someone verify if this is right?

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

CFM means Cubic Feet per Minute not Cubic Feet per Meter

These are the conclusions I have drawn by working to 2 decimal places

1 inch = 2.54cm

1m = 100cm = 39.37inches = 3.28 feet

therefore

1m³ = 3.28 x 3.28 x 3.28 = 35.28 cubic feet

Therefore to get a fairly good comparison of a fan measured in m³ per hour and another fan measured in cubic feet per minute you must either work out how much air the CFM fan is moving per hour by multiplying its CFM value by 60 and then dividing that figure by 35.28 to get its m³ per hour value or work out how much air the m³ per hour fan is moving per minute by dividing its m³ value by 60 and then multiplying that figure by 35.28 to get its CFM value.

So for the CFM fan
    CFM x 60 / 35.28 = m³ per hour value

or for m³ per hour fan
    m³ per hour / 60 x 35.28 = CFM value

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Originally posted by duridian
    CFM means Cubic Feet per Minute not Cubic Feet per Meter

I didn't notice i made that mistake.

Just tried your formula and it works out the same as what i had, except the decimal places where alittle of.
    So they both work, still would use yours. I'm no good at deriving formulas

Jozi

Advertisement