Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Liverpool the Only club NOT buying?

• 13-07-2004 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Whats going on? Everyone else is buying and selling like crazy it seems but we're quieter than the Marie Celeste.

Anyone heard anything more than a tabloid style rumour?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I was thinking the same just last week.. Its a pleasent change though..

Read during the week that they are trying to high jack the Trabelsi bid from Arsenal and Newcastle. Don't know anything more about that..

Also noticed Bannor has been quiet too???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I was thinking the same just last week.. Its a pleasent change though...

Also noticed Bannor has been quiet too???

Aha! :ninja:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by mike65
    Aha! :ninja:

Mike.

Aha Aha :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

are they waiting to see if little mikey owen is gonna sign a new deal? if he don't I'd imagine the best idea would be to sell him rather than lose him on a bosman... hasn't been in great form either...

Baros and Cisse to lead the attack?

Anyway, Man City aren't buying. neither are Fulham. Jaysus... yes can't be as bad off as them!

Can you....?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Plenty of time left lads, let the manager at least form a groove in his seat first. Sure most players are on holiday now anyway. Id expect at least 2 or 3 big signings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

despite all the transfer speculation so far Newcastle have only signed James Milner (hehe only:rolleyes: )

Liverpool have only signed Djibriel Cisse(hehe only :rolleyes: ) .

so no Liverpool are not the only club not buying .

Theres a couple of other clubs who have been very quiet too .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It's probably a case of the manager giving everyone a chace to prove themselves, after all the perception was that the main problem at Anfield was tactics rather than a lack of quality a view supported by the performances of Baros at Euro 2004 who couldn,t get into last seasons Liverpool team ahead of Heskey .

I think it's a good sign that the manager is not going to panick buy and is aware that there is no quick fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Fulham have bought nobody yet, Newcastle and Liverpool have signed just one player...>Arsenal have brought in 2 players same as Everton and Villa....everyone else has 3 or more......most players brought in goes to Birmingham and Spurs with 6......Utd are top of the big clubs with 5 so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

It' s pissing me off that it's so quiet from the LFC camp but pre-season only started on Monday and it's going take Benitez a few weeks to analyze what he's got before deciding to buy or sell anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Does Gerrards statement re: expecting to see at leat three new players (did he mention they had to be world class) when he returned for preseason no longer 'count'?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Roundup of the weekends rumours on Shankleygates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Fulham signed Billy McKinlay,

that's not a joke, don't ban me.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/displaynews.asp?id=5173

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Originally posted by the fnj
    Fulham signed Billy McKinlay,

that's not a joke, don't ban me.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/displaynews.asp?id=5173

Yeah but he has been signed for more of a role as a coach! not really a player anymore! dont tink he ever was! haha! only jokin for those McKinley fans

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This isn't fantasy football.
    Transfers take time to complete. Manager's have to work out exactly how and where their squad needs improving and then start negotiating deals.

It's easy to buy average players. It's harder to buy the right players.

In the past, you'd hear nothing about a transfer and then the club would surprise everyone by rolling out a star player. That's the best way. Why haggle over a player in the public or the media so Chelsea or another team can start pushing up the price?

The people moaning about the lack of transfer activity now are probably the same people calling for Parry's head towards the end of last season because they thought he was happy with the way the club was going under Houllier, the same people who said Parry must go because he was too weak to sack Houllier.

Liverpool supporters are supposed to be intelligent. Moaning because the club haven't been acting like Chelsea or Boro in the transfer market so far this summer is beyond me.

In Rick Parry and Rafa Benitez, the club is in good hands and I think they know a bit more than fans demanding transfers just for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Knee jerk reactions are bad for a club
    Just cos ye are buying players doesnt mean ye are improving
    Diouf dioa anybody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Does Gerrards statement re: expecting to see at leat three new players (did he mention they had to be world class) when he returned for preseason no longer 'count'?

I think he made that statement while Houllier was still there, ie: someone who
    supposedly knew his squad and where he would need to strengthen straight away :rolleyes:

Gerrard back to chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The reasons we are quiet is we dont want any leaks of who we are after as

a: It puts the price up.
    B: Chelski might ocme in a hijack the deal.

The reason i know we are talking to people is, they havent unvilied cisse as a player at a press conference.

Perhaps they are waiting one or two new payers to join him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by Dub13
    Liverpool supporters are supposed to be intelligent.

That has to go down as quote of the century... :D

But seriously.. Liverpool fans... I wouldn't be worrying too much at the moment.. there is still plenty of time left for transfers...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

They are football intelligent....Roy Keane said as much in his book and he is the Man You captain

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dub13
    They are football intelligent....Roy Keane said as much in his book and he is the Man You captain

Must be true so.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by irishgeo
    The reasons we are quiet is we dont want any leaks of who we are after as

a: It puts the price up.
    B: Chelski might ocme in a hijack the deal.

I dont think we're going to see too many Hi-jacks anymore , and id say any player bought will be one that Mourinho wants , he isnt the type of manager to let Kenyon ruin his squad .

Goota agree Maybe they are waiting for two weeks when chelseas squad will be finalized

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    Goota agree Maybe they are waiting for two weeks when chelseas squad will be finalized

Its mourihno's policy to try and have only a 21 or 22 man squad, so chelsea will more than likely be selling players than buying more just for the sake of it...

mourihno will only buy players that he wants..

And he wants drogba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It's a good sign if theres no transfer rumour mill surrounding Liverpool. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have some transfer targets, even if they're not immediate, considering that they do have some money to spend. Generally transfer rumour is a product of unscrupulous agents (about 80% - 90% of agents come under this umbrella) creating interest and hype to maximise their profit. Not having that canonly be good.

Anyway, Liverpool supporters tend to forget but if you add one/two intelligent signings you'll have a very good team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My "concern" is simply based around the fact its already Basteile Day so only a month till kick off and only 6 weeks till the transfere window closes.

I feel the squad is good and alot better than it played the last few seasons, I expect there are moves afoot but if there are targets I just hope they are'nt missed as another club beats Liverpool to the punch.

As for Liverpool fans being intellegent - ha! If we were we'd have abandoned ship years back! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

I think people should remember that the Copa America is still on and some of our biggest targets are playing important roles. Expect news once argentina drop out/win

Advertisement