Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping true power fans for more quiet ones

Options
  • 13-07-2004 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Would it do any harm if i swapped the 2 fans in the psu for 2 more quiet ones?
    Also can they be connected to a regular molex coming from the psu or will i have to mod the cables to take the plug used on the original psu fans?
    (how do i know if the psu is overheating)

Jozi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Personally I'd go with a new quiet PSU which are fairly cheap anyway, less chance of burning your house down when the hardware has been tested like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

It's only about a 3 month old psu, maybe less

So heat is definatly a factor

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Doing something like that is a dodgy area sometimes. Which TP PSU do you have?

TBH you'd be better off selling the Antec and geting a quieter version/make. The TP's will have pretty hot air comming from the PSU as it is, when you put in slower quieter fans this isint going to help temps. Also you void warrenty, and the connections arent the same you will have to snip wires , and re-join them with the selected fans.

It's a 430 watt model.
    :( i'm just going to have to live with it then.
    Wont ask whats a good psu as there's the tread covering that if i remember correctly.

Cheers for the replies
    Jozi

EDIT: Would mounting 3rd fan (80 or 92mm) on the ouside of the PSU do any good for cooling?

That PSU isint a bad choice, and it isint the noisiest out there. Its quite possible you may be able to change the fans and get away with it without any problems.

Whats your Comp specs? (to get an idea of load)
    How hot is the air comming out the back of the PSU?

U know that you will prob spend €20 and void your warrenty if you go this route?

You should be pretty easily able to sell the PSU and pop in a Be-quiet / Antec 380w Single fan / Zalman / Or even fanless!! (mabye a tagan either, havent seen alot about them but they look pretty good).

• Advertisement

amd xp 2500, 512 mb ram, asus a7n8x-e dlx, geforce4 ti (hopefully 9800pro soon), 3 hd, floppy, cdrw, dvd and 1 fan at the moment.
    i had it running at xp3000 speeds but found it getting to warm in the case so untill i get another 120mm fan it's staying stock.
    How hot is the air comming out the back of the PSU?
    It's about 33degrees celcius
    That PSU isint a bad choice
    Reason i don't really want to replace it.
    I wouldn't mind voiding the warranty if i go ahead with it, i'm expecting that the psu won't brake within the next year.

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

It is simple to change the fans,iv done it many a time.I have 2 green uv reactive 80mm's in my psu atm and i have them hooked up to a fancontroller at the front of the case.I usually have them set to 7 volts,nice n' quiet

:)
    CC

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Combatcow
    It is simple to change the fans,iv done it many a time.I have 2 green uv reactive 80mm's in my psu atm and i have them hooked up to a fancontroller at the front of the case.I usually have them set to 7 volts,nice n' quiet

:)
    CC

Did ya get that bitch ass case yet?

Didnt i remember seeing a Q-Tec tucked into your one of your cases? Did you wise up and get another one or did it blow up on you yet :) ?
    It's about 33degrees celcius

Wow, erm i actually meant roasting hot, very hot, hot, mildly hot etc...... im trying to thing what 33'C would be when blowing onto my hand..... :rolleyes:

If its roasting hot that generally means you shouldnt put slower fans into it as the PSU is getting hot and needs to be cooled down. If its mildly warm / warm or mabye even very warm you might get away with replacing the fans.
    I wouldn't mind voiding the warranty if i go ahead with it, i'm expecting that the psu won't brake within the next year.

I hate recomending anyone to do things like this as its an area that can be easily f^cked up and cause people grief. Ive modded my Fortron 300w to run at 5v and its fine but i dont give a damm if it blows (well i do but ill live).

If you are going to do it make sure you get the air flow right.........

:D naa i still have the psu...gonna change it next week for a BeQuiet...honest.

Yer i got meh case on tuesday,im just waiting for my 939 crap then i will do it up properly with propper tubing and a big mirror down the bottom o' the case...:)

Heres 2 pics for the time being anywhoo.

cm1.jpgcm2.jpg

CC

**sorry bout the size**

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Man, that case is class! :D

Gotta do something about that beige drive though......;) :D

Ty, Already did...it's drying beside me as i type this :D

CC

Originally posted by Combatcow
    Ty, Already did...it's drying beside me as i type this :D

CC

Pic please :D

Last of topic:

The fan at the top. Air in or out? Should be fitting mine soon enough and was wondering which way you got the best results?

Thanks!

cm6.jpg

:D

CC

Hehe :)

Nice job!

Originally posted by Col_Loki
    Didnt i remember seeing a Q-Tec tucked into your one of your cases? Did you wise up and get another one or did it blow up on you yet :) ?

Wow, erm i actually meant roasting hot, very hot, hot, mildly hot etc...... im trying to thing what 33'C would be when blowing onto my hand..... :rolleyes:

Q-Tec in my case? Never was, never will be.

It's warm air coming out of the psu, wouldn't be much warmer than the inside of the case (avg. 25 degrees)

Jozi

Q-Tec in my case? Never was, never will be.

Was talkin to CombatCow on that one ;)
    It's warm air coming out of the psu, wouldn't be much warmer than the inside of the case (avg. 25 degrees)

Well in that case you will prob get away with it no probs. The Antecs ive had (480w TP , 380w TP) had very hot air coming out the back and the fans were running nice quiet and slow. AFAIK your PSU should be able to handle lower fan RPM so i suppose go for it....... but atleast you know the risks. The Antecs are excellent PSU's and are capable of running hotter than crappy ones, also you prob wont be stressing the PSU to anywhere near 430w so thats another thing in your favour.

Was talkin to CombatCow on that one
    Was thinking that, just had to be sure.
    you prob wont be stressing the PSU to anywhere near 430w so thats another thing in your favour
    I wouldn't think i am right now, a radeon 9800pro would that be stressing it then?
    And i'm going to overclock again when i get some better cooling.

Fans for in the psu, Papst all the way? There's some very quiet ones on www.hitide.ie
    Going to get 120mm fan for case to so might as well order 80mm and 92mm fan for the psu while i'm at it :D

Jozi

Papst is definetly a good way to go......

That should sort out the noise problem on the PSU end of things. On a side note ive ran a fully overclocked AMD XP rig, with 3/4 hard drives, WC , 9700pro Overclocked etc with a 380w Antec....... so you wont be stressing the PSU to its limit ;).

Papst is definetly a good way to go......

That should sort out the noise problem on the PSU end of things. On a side note ive ran a fully overclocked AMD XP rig, with 3/4 hard drives, WC , 9700pro Overclocked etc with a 380w Antec....... so you wont be stressing the PSU to its limit ;).

They're that good then!

Once again col_loki thanks,

Jozi

Ps. That's a nice oc you have there in your sig!

• Advertisement

Yea there pretty highly reguarded. Sharkoon have some very nice fans aswell but more suited to case fans.

Happy to help,

Col

One last thing before i order fans.

Should i run them of a fan controler or from the psu?
    I dont mind if i have to cut the wires and do some soldering work, it would mean i have 2 less fans to control.

Jozi

That part is totally up to you. I have my fortron running from a 5v adapter inside my case so i can change the voltage easily. Not a good idea if your forgetfull, ie if your taking the PC apart and forget to plug in the fans again......

Totally your call, its personal choice. You could always try letting the PSU regulate them and see how it goes? Ohh and dont forget to insulate what you've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Wow that CM Stacker is sweet.
    At first quick glance of the first pic (since I was kinda more focussing on the Stacker) I thought that the cd holder/stand beside the case was a Zalman Reserator, until I looked at the top and saw the spines of the cd jewel cases :)

Ok got my new fans yesterday, opened the psu today to swap the fans.
    Minor little problem the connection on the psu fans was different to that on the new fans, was going to solder the wires from one onto the othr fan but didn't want to.
    So i'm running the psu fans of a fan controler at max rpm (92mm papst makes funny sound at low rpm and also stalls).
    Have prime running to get thing heated up a bit. So far the temp at the back of the psu is around 30, before it was just over 30 so not much difference.
    I also got 2 120mm case fans. CPU temps are 52 with fan rurning slow and a oc of the fsb to 200 and as low as 43 with all the fans at full speed.

Jozi

Papst fans are recomended to stay above 8v , at less than that they are known for stalling. How do you find the noise difference?

You can prob reduce the speed a little more...........

BTW the wires have to be cut and joined to the PSU wires , best idea is to get insulated (important) wire joiners (straight through like a little tunnel) and crimp them to join............. thats what i did for my PSU mod.

I've just put the 92mm fan onto the mobo, can monitor it's speed to that way.
    I think i'll leave the other fan on the fan controler.
    It wont matter to the psu that it doesn't have fans connected directly to it? Will it?

Not sure if it's more quiet now, we'll see tonight can i sleep with the pc on.

Just on connecting the fans to the psu, the white wire is that for fan speed monitoring? Should it be connected to ground (black isn't it) if i connected to the psu?

Jozi

(Next up-replacing all LEDs for blue one's and a LED array in the case and a new graphics card)

How do you find the noise difference?

Had pc on all night, it's def more quiet than before even with 2 new 120mm fans.

Temp coming out of the psu are less than before. So all seems it was worth it in the end.

Jozi

Advertisement